News: DC: Dak Prescott headed to tag after no progress on new deal

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
They will get stupid and desperate and sign him, however, the confidence in Dak seems to be all talk or else Dak would have gotten his deal already. You don’t leave true franchise QBs hanging like this
You don't pay attention much. The Cowboys have said they will sign him. When they say that, they follow through. They just want to be able to get the best deal possible so that they can sigh others. Stay off Madden and start paying attention.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Anyone thinking this isn't yet done coz Jerry and Stephen's lack of confidence in Dak is misguided. Hell, just admitted couple weeks ago, if he could he'd damn near give Dak a blank check but they have other players to consider. I personally don't think the hold up is about the numbers. Dak's already admitted he doesn't deserve Wilson's money until he wins a Super Bowl. That tells me he's holding out to how this season ends. If we make it to the big dance he'll likely become the highest paid QB.
If not, I'm guessing he'll take the numbers they're probably offering which are likely somewhere between Wentz and Goff.

One thing I think we ALL can agree on 110%.......he isn't going anywhere. You living in a dream world if that's your thinking..lol

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now all they need to do is move up in the draft and pick up a nice prospect at QB...Ya, it's the tag best-case scenario as Dak has not convinced the Jones family he is worth a franchise QB contract.
No way Dak doesn't accept the Tag; he doesn't have the talent for that kind of move....

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  • Good
  • I'm a big Dak fan but it's the right team offered to number ones which would give us 3 number ones I don't know if I could say no.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
Transition tag allows other teams to make offers while giving the Cowboys the option to match them or let the player go.

I keep reading about the "market" for Dak - this would be a good way to see it.

Ah right, I thought that had been scrapped and only the franchise tag remains... but obviously not.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
What exactly is the transition tag that’s mentioned that Cooper could be tagged with?

It's a tag that a team can put on a player that guarantees the team the right to match any offer the player wants to accept. Teams can't use the transition tag and the franchise tag in the same year except the last year of the CBA which begins March 10, 2020.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score

eastsideboy

Reaction score
Show me the last true franchise QB in their prime that got tagged instead of getting an extension? Give me that list.

“It takes two to tanto” - you don’t squabble over small details when you need to get your franchise QB under contract, dude. The entire point to get from this is that the Jones aren’t convinced Dak is worth the money he is asking for which is why both aren’t coming to terms and are arguing back and forth over the small things.

You think Patrick Mahomes is going to get into a spat with the Chiefs or will their owner say “screw it!” and take the hit on the smaller details that go in Mahomes favor?
The guy were playing Tonight. and don't forget all Dak has to do is sign the contract in front of him. He can end this at any time.

Last edited:

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Other than Daks personal long term security, I think this is the best move for both parties.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Who says the team is the hangup?

The deal offered was 35 million to 40 million (going by which report you believe)

Negotiations go both ways - the Jones obviously don’t believe he is worth elite QB money while Dak does. What I am saying is, if you had utter confidence like Stephen and Jerry both claim they do, you don’t stand firm over a 3-5 million difference for a QB you believe can get you a trophy.

Did they do this with Romo?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I don't think dak wants that so he needs to go ahead and sign the contract.

Dak doesn’t have to sign anything if he doesn’t believe it matched his worth. He can get 33 million from behind tagged. That’s guaranteed.

Again, why won’t the Jones pay him that 35 million if they are so confident he’s a Super Bowl winning QB type of talent? They didn’t have much hang ups paying a 30+ year old Romo his money.