News: DC: Dak Prescott headed to tag after no progress on new deal

eastsideboy

Reaction score
Well this is why these newer guys are struggling to get extensions. They are having to go against Cowboys pasts ghosts in Miles Austin, Roy Williams, Romo, Ware, Barber, etc. I was down for the Romo extension but it was very stupid to do that with a guy having back problems. Cowboys played hardball with arguably the best running back in the league and one of their franchise players. Same with Lawrence. In past years....this would've never happened. I think when it comes to Dak there's much more money at stake.

It makes no sense to me if they are arguing over million. Like who wants to lose your franchise quarterback over a few million a year.

My theory is the Cowboys have been lowballing the guaranteed part of the contract. Allowing them to escape the deal like the 9ers did Kapernick. Which yes, would agree with your sentiment that you don't play with franchise quarterbacks.

It all makes zero sense. If you like the guy sign him. If you don't then get his replacement. But they have done NOTHING in regards to looking for a replacement. Not even a adequate backup.
if they're smart they'll pay all the other key players first then if there's money left over for Dak pay him. that's probably how they're looking at it. having Dak means nothing if we lose the other key players. it doesn't do you a hell of a lot of good if you overpay for a hammer and then a can't afford to buy nails.

lostar2009

Reaction score
If Dak deal isn't done this year it will jump up to 40M. Just think, sign Dak last year it's 20-25M. Now we talking around 30-35M. I blame the front office on this pinching pennies.

aria

Reaction score
Zeke's contract isn't even close to handicapping the team, but Dak apparently does want closer to 40 and that is absolutely ridiculous.
It’s all relative to position, value, worth and the cap situation.

eastsideboy

Reaction score
Dak should sit right now. Pull a Zeke, be a baby and get rewarded. If Dak refused to play another snap right now, Jerry would have his checkbook out quicker than a pit bull on a poodle.
If he did that midseason he would never play for Dallas again.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Jones would pay Romo that money all over again if he was in his prime, which Dak is right now.

The entire argument here is, if Stephen and Jerry meant what they said, they wouldn’t be squabbling with Dak over a 2-3 million dollar difference. You take that small hit for a franchise QB.
I thought this was about years. The team wants to give him a longer contract and Dak wants a shorter one so he can re-up under the new CBA.

Which makes total sense if you're Dak. There's no telling how much the cap will go up under the new CBA. QB contracts signed based on this one will look like chump change under the new one.

I do think the team leaked this to put pressure on him. But I doubt he matters to Dak.

nobody

Reaction score
I love how members of the cowboys zone just conveniently forget that we have to pay other players to and that actually takes money.:huh:

It's out of our hands and they might work out deals that keep things going smooth. Why panic?

eastsideboy

Reaction score
Jones would pay Romo that money all over again if he was in his prime, which Dak is right now.

The entire argument here is, if Stephen and Jerry meant what they said, they wouldn’t be squabbling with Dak over a 2-3 million dollar difference. You take that small hit for a franchise QB.

Simple fact is, Jerry and Stephen obviously feel Dak is still needing to prove something. The fact his play dropped off AGAIN after losing a couple players isn’t exactly something helping his contract negotiations
I agree with you if it's two or three million but I'm thinking it's probably more like 8 or 9 million a year

Mr_437

Reaction score
Assets.

Franchise tag and the other team has to fork over 2 first if they offer sheet him and he accepts.

Transition tag is a pure take it or leave it tag.

Miami could come in at 39 mil a year , and make it a hard choice for dallas. If we don't sign him to their deal he walks for nothing and there's no comp pick in 2021 for him leaving
I'm saying.. Dak could sign next week or agree to a deal before franchise tag Day. Why is the reporter putting out an all-or-nothing narrative?

eastsideboy

Reaction score
As QB of the Dallas Cowboys Dak stands to make hundreds of millions in endorsements. Why oh why nickel and dime us and hurt the team. I really don’t get it. He goes anywhere he takes a huge pay cut even if the team pays him more.
Exactly. why does no one ever think about this or talk about this.:huh:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Do you think he will slack off if tagged. Who cares if he gets upset , he will only be making 33.5m or so for one year
That is a good salary for 1 year but what if he had a career ending injury ?? Dak may have ins to cover that, I dont know.
But it would seem Dak knows this is what is gonna happen so he must be ok with the tag.
He may be looking to do what cousins did 2 tags then FA and get a big deal at that point.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This isn't news it's common sense. The Joneses work best next to a deadline. We already knew they would franchise Dak at seasons end without a deal. We'll see how they handle multiple free agents like Dak and coop as seasons end draws near. I imagine coop gets done first unless daks camp wants to get things done early.

aria

Reaction score
If he did that midseason he would never play for Dallas again.
Yeah he would, weak Jerry would defecate his panties and pay Dak. Jerrah talks tough but caves, there’s no way he would jeopardize this season by not paying Dak.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Yeah he would, weak Jerry would defecate his panties and pay Dak. Jerrah talks tough but caves, there’s no way he would jeopardize this season by not paying Dak.
Such a lie! Jerrah wears a thong.
I heard it on the highest of authorities.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I agree with you if it's two or three million but I'm thinking it's probably more like 8 or 9 million a year

I think it was that at the beginning, but if Dak hasn’t come down at all, it is seriously time to start thinking about franchise taggingand finding a replacement after getting another year out of Dak.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
I want to see how this year plays about before we give him that contract. Some tough games coming up. Dak said it himself he has to play like a SB winning qb to get paid like one. He's betting on himself let him continue to prove it. He wins us a SB you can give him whatever you want for all i care.

As far as him being upset. He doesn't strike me as a guy that would be mad. Also considering he does have so much in endorsements i'm sure he isn't hurting in the money area.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
They will get stupid and desperate and sign him, however, the confidence in Dak seems to be all talk or else Dak would have gotten his deal already. You don’t leave true franchise QBs hanging like this
Such desperateness to see Dak leave wreaks badly. It's going to be sad how bad you and the funky bunch fall and incessantly complain once Dak gets that monster $34+ mil/year contract, because it's going to happen. Just wait and watch.