News: DC: Hankins: Mazi Smith, Cowboys D-Line Will Be 'Nasty'

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Yep....people definitely feared our 22nd ranked rush defense last year.

They just said "We're scared of you!!!...so we're gonna just run this ball down ur throat over and over, game in and game out, and there's nothing you can do about it"

But they only said that because they were afraid of us.

I'm definitely sure NATO will be looking for us....and will probably be waiting for us in the golf course club house come late January where our Cowboys will likely be watching the NFC Championship game on the TV while drowning their sorrows in Bud Lites
Dare you to go look at what they have up after the Hankins trade.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Rush defense has been the achilles heel of this defense the past 5 or so years when we've been good. It's important now that we have guys that can stop the run. Especially in a division with the likes of guys like Daniel jones and hurts. Teams that like to run that read option stuff.

We've always been particularly vulnerable to the read option because we've been soft in the middle. Now with guys like Hankins and mazi, it'll allow guys to stay home.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
It's yet another nuclear bomb at the disposal of Dan Quinn, whose stockade is now to a point that he and the Cowboys might soon get a call from NATO about Dallas' proliferation of weapons.

Hankins: Mazi Smith, Cowboys D-Line Will Be 'Nasty'
Will this be like a defensive counteroffensive?
So nasty even Kid Rock's groupies are holding their noses!
Quinn has so many nukes in his stockade that the U.N. is investigating!!!

Last edited:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
To me it all rides on Mazi. If he’s a stud our D will be great. If not, will be the same as last year basically
Not in stone, other D positions are better and even IF (its not a given) it takes Smith a year or 2 that doesnt mean that the other additions wont help big time. If Gilmore can play like he did last year that is a huge improvment in the secondary which will free up others to help in run support, the LB's have another year to get better and so do the 2nd and 3rd year DT's.. the Defense by all accounts should be better this year than last year if injuries are not a big problem.

Techsass

Reaction score
To me it all rides on Mazi. If he’s a stud our D will be great. If not, will be the same as last year basically
I'm hoping he's everything they're saying and I hope he starts showing some splash plays early.

stuckindc

Reaction score
FRISCO, Texas - Don't look now, but there is yet another defensive player for the Dallas Cowboys primed for a breakout season when the 2023 campaign gets underway. Sam Williams, the team's 2022 second-round pick, was a menace whenever he took the field as a rookie; and the efficiency of his production in limited reps points glaringly at what's to come.

That mindset isn't going unnoticed, as defensive line coach Aden Durde so pleasantly pointed out as minicamp concluded on Thursday.

"You can see that he's learned how to develop himself, and that's not to say that we don't develop them, but the biggest jump for Sam is he's becoming a true professional," said Durde. "I see the work that he puts in and the structure that he's put in off of the field. He comes in and you see his flexibility has changed, his coordination has changed, his stance is better. The things he's needed to work on, he's gone out and worked on and improved.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/cowboys-dl-coach-sam-williams-is-primed-for-23
If Mazi can occupy the middle, Micah and Sammy are gonna feast

stuckindc

Reaction score
I’d like to buy into him getting some sacks but not gonna bank on it.
At this point , his leadership, controlling that edge and making tfls, is perfect and the sacks he gets Are icing. He’s still a beast. Very smart and big time leader. Perfect for our young attack squad

conner01

Reaction score
It's yet another nuclear bomb at the disposal of Dan Quinn, whose stockade is now to a point that he and the Cowboys might soon get a call from NATO about Dallas' proliferation of weapons.

Hankins: Mazi Smith, Cowboys D-Line Will Be 'Nasty'
I have no doubt they will be better against the run. But to me the key is what Mazi can do in the passing game. The run defense struggles to me was over rated. We stopped the run when Quinn felt it mattered
How mazi can impact the passing game is what takes this D to the next level. Just a pure rum stuffer is not worth the 26th pick
I expect Quinn to teach him to be a real impactful player in the passing game. Games aren’t won on the run game
I think Quinn can make him a force in the passing game and if he can this pass rush will be amazing

Big_D

Reaction score
I have no doubt they will be better against the run. But to me the key is what Mazi can do in the passing game. The run defense struggles to me was over rated. We stopped the run when Quinn felt it mattered
How mazi can impact the passing game is what takes this D to the next level. Just a pure rum stuffer is not worth the 26th pick
I expect Quinn to teach him to be a real impactful player in the passing game. Games aren’t won on the run game
I think Quinn can make him a force in the passing game and if he can this pass rush will be amazing

The impact will come on play action. The LBs were getting killed. They weren't at all good against the run. You have to sell out and it effects the entire defense and the pass rush and how they can react and play in those situations. Mazi should have an immediate impact on that.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Not in stone, other D positions are better and even IF (its not a given) it takes Smith a year or 2 that doesnt mean that the other additions wont help big time. If Gilmore can play like he did last year that is a huge improvment in the secondary which will free up others to help in run support, the LB's have another year to get better and so do the 2nd and 3rd year DT's.. the Defense by all accounts should be better this year than last year if injuries are not a big problem.
Sting anyone past the line of scrimmage. If it moves...hit it!

CCBoy

Reaction score
That's the ticket...a very mobile trashcan full of dirt!

quickccc

Reaction score
Man, I came in here to say we'll see, and I thought some would view that as pessimistic.

We've got a lot to prove but our defense was very good last year, not perfect by any means, and looks like it might be even better with the addition of Mazi and Gilmore.

It showed flashes and potential .(ala vs Brady-Bucs.. and for 3 quarters vs Niners) . but it still seemed like a defense that is built to play downhill, off the success of the offense.

And come playoff time, there may be some really tight, defensive games where we cannot afford this defense to wear down in 4th quarter as it did vs Niners.

- Getting Gilmore at the RCB spot instead of an Anthony Brown like players, is gonna pay huge dividends for this defense

- It was very important that the aim is for tis defense to be more Physical .. to not be " out-physical " ...which teams have been doing this to us for years.

- Also Misdirection plays seem to throw us off RB screens,.... QB pistols...RPO's ... a lot of that has to do with gullible LBs , and that's where we have to have better plays from the
off the ball LBs .they have to be better reactors and finishers

CWR

Reaction score
Been a Dallas fan ever since I can remember; I’m hoping our draft picks can contribute their rookie year and the defensive unit coalesces into an elite unit this season.
I know news is lacking and we all are grasping, dissecting and reading into every quote that’s in social media, but let’s pump the brakes on expectations. It will save us fans consternation on the end.
In my opinion, these modern day Cowboys players, for the most part, have a tendency to talk-the-talk, but fail to walk-the walk. Remember The Hot Boyz? Let’s wait and see what happens when it’s live football against an evenly-matched opponent and the game counts.

No amount of pumping the break will make bad beats better. I hear you, but it hurts regardless.

Also, let's not compare this unit to the infamous Hot Boyz. The roster is almost entirely different now. Dlaw remains and not much else from the original failed unit.

I get the whole 27 years and counting argument. It's applicable to the FO, but not these players. Just like they don't get credit for past glory, they don't deserve blame for past failures. It's up to them to write the next chapter.