News: DC: Scout's Notebook: Defensive Resiliency, Aggressive Coaching; Pass Protection

NewsBot

Reaction score
ARLINGTON, Texas – There will be a lot more to unpack after I watch the tape. But for now, here’s some quick thoughts from my vantage point in the press box at AT&T Stadium.

This Cowboys team is 10-1 after a big win against an NFC East rival. Here’s how they got there.

Read

• If defenses are going to play eight or nine in the box to handle Ezekiel Elliott, then getting the ball out on the edges is going to be the best way for the offense to counter that. I really liked the plan -- especially during the first drive -- of angle blocking the front, then using pullers from the opposite direction to secure blocks at the point of attack. I noticed plays where Jason Witten and Ronald Leary were able to work up the field, which allowed Elliott some much needed space against the stacked box and came back to it later in the game for some chunk runs.
  • I was worried about Orlando Scandrick in this game from a health standpoint due to the short week. I know for a fact that he was struggling during practice this week but didn't take himself off the practice field. His pass breakup of DeSean Jackson down the right sideline to open the second half and his awareness to get his hands up on the slot blitz to knock away the screen again to Jackson saved a big gain.

Continue reading...