News: DC: Spagnola: Stop It All, Dak's Not Going Anywhere

Creeper

Reaction score
Mickey needs to be more rational when he writes his Jones family propaganda. No one believes for a minute that the Cowboys should just cut Dak in March. But Mickey has to use the most extreme scenario to make his point. Trading Dak before June 1 nets $58 million dead money but only a $9 million CAP hit. And it clears Dak off the books in 2023 so there is no hit in 2024 and nearly a $52 million CAP save. If they trade Dak post June 1, they will have $18 million dead money in 2023, but a $31 million CAP save. They will have $40 million dead money in 2024, but still save $12 million against the CAP. The CAP is one considering. Another is the compensation they could get for Dak. What if someone offered 2 first round draft picks for Dak? Like in all trades, you can always say no if the compensation is not sufficient or does not help the team in the long run.

I understand the concept that franchise QBs aren't available at the local gas station. But Dak is going to get old and retire eventually so the team needs to have a plan to replace him anyway. Trading him just moves up that timeline. Acting like Dak or any QB will be with us forever is folly. Getting draft compensation now is not bad business.

It would surely be a bold move by the Cowboys but bold moves sometimes work out. Sometimes you need to take a step backwards to go forward. I am not recommending it, but it would not be a completely irrational move to draft a QB in the first round and if he looks good in Spring workouts, trade Dak and sign a cheap veteran for a year. Of course Dak would have to approve it but maybe drafting a QB in the first round would push him in that direction.

Build the defense to take the pressure off the QB and let the young draft pick transition into the starting role.

I don't believe for a minute Jerry would do anything like this, but if a GM believes his QB has taken him as far as he can go, the only move is to go in a different direction, assuming you want to win a Super Bowl.

I think Jerry has a fantasy of himself getting sprayed with champagne in the locker room by triumphant players and coaches while loudspeakers are blaring Frank Sinatra singing "I Did It My Way". But I think after 28 years, we can conclude this is just an fantasy.

As in

Rayman70

Reaction score
Mickey needs to be more rational when he writes his Jones family propaganda. No one believes for a minute that the Cowboys should just cut Dak in March. But Mickey has to use the most extreme scenario to make his point. Trading Dak before June 1 nets $58 million dead money but only a $9 million CAP hit. And it clears Dak off the books in 2023 so there is no hit in 2024 and nearly a $52 million CAP save. If they trade Dak post June 1, they will have $18 million dead money in 2023, but a $31 million CAP save. They will have $40 million dead money in 2024, but still save $12 million against the CAP. The CAP is one considering. Another is the compensation they could get for Dak. What if someone offered 2 first round draft picks for Dak? Like in all trades, you can always say no if the compensation is not sufficient or does not help the team in the long run.

I understand the concept that franchise QBs aren't available at the local gas station. But Dak is going to get old and retire eventually so the team needs to have a plan to replace him anyway. Trading him just moves up that timeline. Acting like Dak or any QB will be with us forever is folly. Getting draft compensation now is not bad business.

It would surely be a bold move by the Cowboys but bold moves sometimes work out. Sometimes you need to take a step backwards to go forward. I am not recommending it, but it would not be a completely irrational move to draft a QB in the first round and if he looks good in Spring workouts, trade Dak and sign a cheap veteran for a year. Of course Dak would have to approve it but maybe drafting a QB in the first round would push him in that direction.

Build the defense to take the pressure off the QB and let the young draft pick transition into the starting role.

I don't believe for a minute Jerry would do anything like this, but if a GM believes his QB has taken him as far as he can go, the only move is to go in a different direction, assuming you want to win a Super Bowl.

I think Jerry has a fantasy of himself getting sprayed with champagne in the locker room by triumphant players and coaches while loudspeakers are blaring Frank Sinatra singing "I Did It My Way". But I think after 28 years, we can conclude this is just an fantasy.

As in
U said it all and said it well. But thats how the Mickey Spagnola's and the Mike Fishers operate, in extremes and treat the fan base as know nothings. The fanbase is actually mostly pretty smart. But of course they always use the 2% as the extreme basis for painting all of us the same way. After 27 years of bungling I think we have earned the right to put our 2 cents in, even if Mickey and Mike despise us. Tuff shiet. We pay their salary. PS-..is it any coincidence THESE 2 dudes were the first guys throwing Amari under the bus as a scapegoat just before AND after we traded him? Jerry and Stevie wanted a narrative painted and they did it. Thats all I will say.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The casual fans are probably the long time ticket holders. I can't picture any true hardcore Cowboy fans feeling that way. We are the laughingstock of the league. Whenever I tell people I'm a Cowboy fan they laugh at me. And who can blame them?
Then they are ignorant and obviously not a sports fan. I would never laugh at a Lions fan, I respect the hell out of them and they stay with their team through all of it.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Then they are ignorant and obviously not a sports fan. I would never laugh at a Lions fan, I respect the hell out of them and they stay with their team through all of it.
Luv the Lions HC Dan Campbell. Hes my kind of coach. Says what he means and means what he says. His heart permeates the team.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I offered solutions to mistakes long before they were made.

Now there is no hope until we get a QB on a rookie deal or an elite vet.

Cowboys are stuck in mediocrity.
We had Dak on a rookie deal for 4 years. Why didnt we win a championship?

So your saying that the only way to win a championship is to have Mahomes, Allen, or Burrows?

FYI...................................."getting an elite QB" is not a solution. LOL

Wouldnt it be much easier just to go out, sign a pro bowl DT, get another stud RB to go with Pollard, and then go out and get another big weapon in the passing game? Thats all this team legitimately needs to be a true contender.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I offered solutions to mistakes long before they were made.

Now there is no hope until we get a QB on a rookie deal or an elite vet.

Cowboys are stuck in mediocrity.
Hurts isnt an elite QB, how are they in the SB? Hurts threw for 120 yards last week and they destroyed the Niners.

Your theory has huge holes in it: Just get any QB on a rookie deal we will win a championship?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We had Dak on a rookie deal for 4 years. Why didnt we win a championship?

So your saying that the only way to win a championship is to have Mahomes, Allen, or Burrows?

FYI...................................."getting an elite QB" is not a solution. LOL

Wouldnt it be much easier just to go out, sign a pro bowl DT, get another stud RB to go with Pollard, and then go out and get another big weapon in the passing game? Thats all this team legitimately needs to be a true contender.
QBs who don’t win championships on rookie deals typically don’t win them once they’re paid. Especially the non elite Dak types.

This is another reason I said not to pay him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
QBs who don’t win championships on rookie deals typically don’t win them once they’re paid. Especially the non elite Dak types.

This is another reason I said not to pay him.
So how did Stafford do it? How is Hurts in the SB? How did Aikman win 3? None of those guys are elite?

The monster hole in your theory is that the team around the QB has to be SB caliber before the QB even gets there.

A team like SF or the Eagles this year. Great olines, top 3 defenses that can dominate. Basically an offense where the QB has to do little but hand the ball off and make a few plays here and there.

At that point you can pretty much drop just about drop any QB in there. IN other words, in your theory the QB is a side note.

And I take it your using that extra 40 million to get the team around the QB "SB caliber"?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So how did Stafford do it? How is Hurts in the SB? How did Aikman win 3? None of those guys are elite?

The monster hole in your theory is that the team around the QB has to be SB caliber before the QB even gets there.

A team like SF or the Eagles this year. Great olines, top 3 defenses that can dominate. Basically an offense where the QB has to do little but hand the ball off and make a few plays here and there.

At that point you can pretty much drop just about drop any QB in there. IN other words, in your theory the QB is a side note.

And I take it your using that extra 40 million to get the team around the QB "SB caliber"?

There is no hole around my theory.

My theory is now a mainstream opinion.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
There is no hole around my theory.

My theory is now a mainstream opinion.
you dont have a theory. "getting a QB on a rookie deal" isnt a theory.

Having a rookie QB or cheap QB isnt a strategy for a team.

You can get whomever you want as a rookie they arent winning squat unless you have the #1 defense in the NFL to go along with it.

Seattle with the legion of doom, Rams last year with the #1 D, Niners this year, Eagles this year, ect.....ect......

The QB part of your theory is a side note. What your basically saying is you want a team soooo good that the QB doesnt matter.

Jerry isnt capable of building a team THAT good around the QB. IN the last 30 years he has been unable to do it with several QB's on rookie deals.

Your theory wont work here in Dallas.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
you dont have a theory. "getting a QB on a rookie deal" isnt a theory.

Having a rookie QB or cheap QB isnt a strategy for a team.

You can get whomever you want as a rookie they arent winning squat unless you have the #1 defense in the NFL to go along with it.

Seattle with the legion of doom, Rams last year with the #1 D, Niners this year, Eagles this year, ect.....ect......

The QB part of your theory is a side note. What your basically saying is you want a team soooo good that the QB doesnt matter.

Jerry isnt capable of building a team THAT good around the QB. IN the last 30 years he has been unable to do it with several QB's on rookie deals.

Your theory wont work here in Dallas.

Start learning and shut ya mouth.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Spagnola has always known who butters his bread and for that reason I just can’t read any of his crap. He is no more than a mouthpiece and the ultimate fanboy. Now he seems to have started up the Dak excuse machine (or maybe he has been for a while) as well. I’m not one to say Dak can’t be the long term answer because I think with a great QB coach he could be. Moore was a failure at that and moved up to OC. I thought with Wilson Dak was better. He needs a teacher type to work with him day after day after day. But it does seems to be “rinse, repeat” in the last game of our season with Dak. Also, every time I read someone talk about dropped/deflected passes and bad routes leading to interceptions without mentioning there were many, many, many more bad passes that were just horrible decisions and never should have been thrown that weren’t interceptions I know they are just furthering their agenda.
You and anybody still thinking a player 7yrs or more is about to drastically change is on something that isn’t good for your brain. It’s the exception not the rule period. That’s not just speaking on Dak but most athletes overall.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Hurts isnt an elite QB, how are they in the SB? Hurts threw for 120 yards last week and they destroyed the Niners.

Your theory has huge holes in it: Just get any QB on a rookie deal we will win a championship?
Learn to read smdh. Some of y’all are so emotional it is truly embarrassing

conner01

Reaction score
If Mickey starts posting articles where he is being critical of Dak..mark it down because the FO is getting ready to get rid of him.

The only time I remember Mickey being remotely negative about an active starter on the team was QC. He did not like him at all.
Good point
But then again it’s kinda his job I guess
The fact does remain that Dak isn’t going anywhere for the next couple years for sure and I’d bet money on them extending him soon

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Start learning and shut ya mouth.

There’s nothing anyone could ever teach me about football. It’s almost yo the point where whatever you say the opposite will happen. Heck you don’t even understand your own theory. Which isn’t one.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
There’s nothing anyone could ever teach me about football. It’s almost yo the point where whatever you say the opposite will happen. Heck you don’t even understand your own theory. Which isn’t one.

In your mind the opposite is happening.

In reality everything I said would happen is happening because it’s been a trend for awhile now. Sorry I’m aware and you aren’t.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
In your mind the opposite is happening.

In reality everything I said would happen is happening because it’s been a trend for awhile now. Sorry I’m aware and you aren’t.
Ah so you predicted us to make playoffs back to back years and a playoff win on the road with dak where he threw for 300 yards and 5 tds?

You predicted Dak would become a top 10 franchise qb?

You predicted pollard was a pro bowl caliber RB? Lamb was a true #1, that Biadasz would be a good center?

Sorry you didn’t predict any and I did. Just to name a few. And that’s not even talking about you dalton and other qb gaffs.

Only thing you figured out in a timely manner was how bad zeke had become. And that’s it!!

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Mickey should take some of his own advice. It's no help that some of his co-hosts are flat out terrible on his show...

They need some new talent at DC.com.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Mickey needs to be more rational when he writes his Jones family propaganda. No one believes for a minute that the Cowboys should just cut Dak in March. But Mickey has to use the most extreme scenario to make his point. Trading Dak before June 1 nets $58 million dead money but only a $9 million CAP hit. And it clears Dak off the books in 2023 so there is no hit in 2024 and nearly a $52 million CAP save. If they trade Dak post June 1, they will have $18 million dead money in 2023, but a $31 million CAP save. They will have $40 million dead money in 2024, but still save $12 million against the CAP. The CAP is one considering. Another is the compensation they could get for Dak. What if someone offered 2 first round draft picks for Dak?
Good post, but does anyone think a team would offer two first round picks for Dak? I don't, especially with that contract. I don't see a team that in need of a QB giving up two firsts when they could parley those picks into drafting one and building around a rookie contract.

For the record, if someone did make such an offer I'd take it. Jerry and Stephen wouldn't, though.