News: DC: Star Evaluation: Important Offseason For Schultz

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
They thought they were going to get an NFL ready blocker. They were wrong.

We spent a fourth for a guy with less promise than Geoff Swaim because we panicked when Witten retired. It was a failed pick for the intention. We didn't need what we got, yet another TE project, and certainly not at the price we paid for him.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

We spent a fourth for a guy with less promise than Geoff Swaim because we panicked when Witten retired. It was a failed pick for the intention. We didn't need what we got, yet another TE project, and certainly not at the price we paid for him.
He was a middle round stab. Big deal.

We have had bigger failures drafting TEs in the second that practically embarrassed themselves.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Glad you weren’t the coach after Witten’s rookie season. He would have been buried on the bench and eventually cut

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was a middle round stab. Big deal.

We have had bigger failures drafting TEs in the second that practically embarrassed themselves.
Right. He’s already shown more than Escobar, and he should keep getting better.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Schultz is what most people thought he was, a solid #2 or # TE. Was drafted where he should have been. He'll get better but I don't think he'll ever evolve into a game-changing TE.

This is a very good TE draft coming up. Hope we take advantage.

Alexander

Reaction score
True, but there is at least hope. Makes no sense to give up on a 4th round pick after his rookie year.
If a top talent presents themselves at our 2nd round pick, would you feel taking that player would mean "giving up" on Schultz?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If a top talent presents themselves at our 2nd round pick, would you feel taking that player would mean "giving up" on Schultz?

No, but that’s not what buybuyanddavis is talking about. He’s not merely saying there is room for better, he’s saying he was a waste even for a 4th rounder. It’s just too early to say that. It’s as if he doesn’t understand 4th round rookies rarely step in as top players from day 1.

Alexander

Reaction score
No, but that’s not what buybuyanddavis is talking about. He’s not merely saying there is room for better, he’s saying he was a waste even for a 4th rounder. It’s just too early to say that. It’s as if he doesn’t understand 4th round rookies rarely step in as top players from day 1.
Well, he was a fourth round pick and he kind of played like it.

That should not exclude the team from looking for better.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, he was a fourth round pick and he kind of played like it.

That should not exclude the team from looking for better.
I didn’t say it should. That wasn’t the context of my post.

Mr_437

Reaction score
No drops
No penalties
No fumbles
No targets resulting in a interception
That I can recall...by all means, correct me if I missed something.
Avg. 1 rec/game, 70% catch rate, played in 11 games.

Yes, DAL should find a TE better than what they have, but Shultz hasn't done anything negative for the whole year as a rookie. Not bad for a 4th rounder (non premium pick).

If you slot these guys, TE2 Jarwin and TE3 Shultz, knowing DAL is in search of a TE1...is it necessary to talk down on Shultz?

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
He needs to put on quite a bit of good weight this offseason. A year in an NFL strength program should help him a ton.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Schultz is what most people thought he was, a solid #2 or # TE. Was drafted where he should have been. He'll get better but I don't think he'll ever evolve into a game-changing TE.

This is a very good TE draft coming up. Hope we take advantage.

you might be rigt, but tihs team had a HOF TE and did nothing with him

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I have him two notches above jag at the moment...

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I've never broken down tape of Schultz, I've only seen brief clips of him mostly on Zeke runs, but from what I've seen in those his blocking has flat out sucked. Like he didn't even know which man to block half the time.

The learning curve of Y tight ends is long, because they have to learn an NFL blocking scheme and an NFL receiving tree and execute both against the best athletes they've ever faced. That being said, Stanford is one of the last few schools to use an in-line TE, so we've usually seen Cardinal TEs come into the league more prepared then what Schultz was. Hooper, Ertz, Fleener - as far as I know, they were all day 1 starters while Schultz was inactive behind Rico for half the year. And once I saw some of the blocks he was whiffing, I kinda understood why.

He's in a bad spot IMO. A guy who both needs to develop more strength to block and learn the blocking scheme better, and who offers little promise as a receiver. He's a pretty smooth mover for his size, but he's not big enough to box out LBs for a catch nor explosive or fast enough to separate from them. College LBs were hanging with him pretty easy, and again, I haven't watched him, but I'm guessing he's an easy cover for NFL LBs too. Dude needs a lot of development, in a lot of areas, fast.

I know it seems like I'm pounding a whole bottle of Haterade here, and I'm usually a glass half full kind of guy with rookies, but I just am not seeing much with Schulz. At the minimum, he's got to pick up the blocking scheme by the beginning of year 2 and learn to put his hat on the right man. If he doesn't - I'm calling it now, there is a real chance he doesn't make the 53. He deserves another shot due to that long TE development time, but this staff really values blocking in TEs and they're not going to keep him around for long if he can't do that.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This season, he learned that he belongs in the NFL. Give him time before expecting him to be the star.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
No drops
No penalties
No fumbles
No targets resulting in a interception
That I can recall...by all means, correct me if I missed something.
Avg. 1 rec/game, 70% catch rate, played in 11 games.

Yes, DAL should find a TE better than what they have, but Shultz hasn't done anything negative for the whole year as a rookie. Not bad for a 4th rounder (non premium pick).

If you slot these guys, TE2 Jarwin and TE3 Shultz, knowing DAL is in search of a TE1...is it necessary to talk down on Shultz?

We got Jarwin, Swaim, and Rico for at most a 6th. We spent a 4th on Schulz with those guys already on the roster. Overdrafted, overhyped, underneeded.

It's the pick, not him. A 4th is a real pick. He's comparable to guys we got for much less.