Twitter: DE Kony Ealy to Visit Cowboys

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Per Fox Sports, only 1 sack but he had 16.5 hurries last season. That would have been second on this team to Lawrence. He'd be the best "reclamation project" out of all the guys Marinelli has brought in. We got 6 sack seasons from Mayowa and Mincey, I'd love to see what Ealy could do here.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He does have 3-tech size in Marinelli's scheme at 6-5, 288.

To me - and this is just my opinion - he's an alternative option to David Irving - a bit of a "Swiss army knife" type player who can line up in several spots in a rotation, but one who lacks true "home" and starting position.

I think Jones might play his way into a contract extension to be Irving's inevitable (IMO) replacement.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Not bad. I wouldn't spend a lot on him as he's unproven, but I wouldn't be opposed to us signing him. In fact, I probably would like it if it's an inexpensive deal.

LittleD

Reaction score
To me - and this is just my opinion - he's an alternative option to David Irving - a bit of a "Swiss army knife" type player who can line up in several spots in a rotation, but one who lacks true "home" and starting position.

I think Jones might play his way into a contract extension to be Irving's inevitable (IMO) replacement.

I agree with you. I don't think the Dallas FO is totally sold on David Irving long term and would probably trade him or let him go for
reasonable value. Irving is kind of a knucklehead to me but, he can get after the QB.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

The Jets took that thinking to a whole new level and played him at OLB at times last year lmao. A 4.92 playing at OLB. Man I love the Jets.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Not bad. I wouldn't spend a lot on him as he's unproven, but I wouldn't be opposed to us signing him. In fact, I probably would like it if it's an inexpensive deal.

Alright Fur, whats an inexpensive deal?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with you. I don't think the Dallas FO is totally sold on David Irving long term and would probably trade him or let him go for
reasonable value. Irving is kind of a knucklehead to me but, he can get after the QB.

He certainly can. And he can also get gashed in the running game, to the tune of giving up over 200 yards to the Eagles. I'm not pinning it all on Irving of course, but he was repeatedly victimized by the run in that game. I think it's a key reason why he's never been made into a full-fledged starter here.

I think that this is the last season for him in Dallas, and he's looking to get paid and the Cowboys are looking to move on.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Based on his six years in the league so far, I sure hope that's not the plan. At best, he's depth, maybe stealing Crawford's do-it-all role after this season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Jets took that thinking to a whole new level and played him at OLB at times last year lmao. A 4.92 playing at OLB. Man I love the Jets.

I can see what he'd be looking to "escape".

I think the Jets are in worse shape than the Browns at this point.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
5 sacks year ago 2016, 1 last year ........good depth

Current Season Stats
Year
Tackles Sacks Interceptions Fumb Misc KO Ret Punt Ret
Year Team G Solo Ast Total Sack Yds Yd/Sk Int Yds IntTD Rec TD Frcd Pass D Sfty Yds TD Yds TD
2017 NYJ 15 11 3 14 1.0 5 5.0 1 9 0 0 0 0 9 0 0 0 0 0
Career Stats
Year
Tackles Sacks Interceptions Fumb Misc KO Ret Punt Ret
Year Team G Solo Ast Total Sack Yds Yd/Sk Int Yds IntTD Rec TD Frcd Pass D Sfty Yds TD Yds TD
2014 CAR 15 8 4 12 4.0 33 8.3 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
2015 CAR 16 15 17 32 5.0 30 6.0 0 0 0 2 0 3 2 0 0 0 0 0
2016 CAR 16 19 13 32 5.0 23 4.6 1 7 0 0 0 2 3 0 0 0 0 0
2017 NYJ 15 11 3 14 1.0 5 5.0 1 9 0 0 0 0 9 0 0 0 0 0

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Based on his six years in the league so far, I sure hope that's not the plan. At best, he's depth, maybe stealing Crawford's do-it-all role after this season.

Not to compare the two players, but that all David Irving has truly been at this point as well - depth. High-quality depth, but not a starter.

Crawford is another good comp for what Jones brings. Another guy that doesn't truly have a "home" position.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He certainly can. And he can also get gashed in the running game, to the tune of giving up over 200 yards to the Eagles. I'm not pinning it all on Irving of course, but he was repeatedly victimized by the run in that game. I think it's a key reason why he's never been made into a full-fledged starter here.

I think that this is the last season for him in Dallas, and he's looking to get paid and the Cowboys are looking to move on.

I think Irving's run defense gets blown out of proportion based on the Eagles game. That was the only one where I saw him get exposed, and it didn't happen because he was getting blown off the line, instead the Eagles took advantage of his ability to get upfield by trapping him.

LittleD

Reaction score

No quibble here. I hope he breaks the bank...on some other foolish team with deep pockets.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Irving's run defense gets blown out of proportion based on the Eagles game. That was the only one where I saw him get exposed, and it didn't happen because he was getting blown off the line, instead the Eagles took advantage of his ability to get upfield by trapping him.

Doesn't matter why it happened, it matters that it happened. The Eagles saw a weakness in both Irving and the Cowboys defense and exploited it to great success.

And it shows a key weakness in Irving's game, he's a much better pass rusher than run stopper. And that's why he's never been a full time starter in this league.