Twitter: DE Kony Ealy to Visit Cowboys

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Not to compare the two players, but that all David Irving has truly been at this point as well - depth. High-quality depth, but not a starter.

Crawford is another good comp for what Jones brings. Another guy that doesn't truly have a "home" position.

He played in eight games last year and started all eight, and was by far our best interior DL. I'm not exactly sure why fans play down what he accomplished in half a season. Maybe it's because the team doesn't seem sure about him, but that has little to do with his play IMO.

LittleD

Reaction score
Not to compare the two players, but that all David Irving has truly been at this point as well - depth. High-quality depth, but not a starter.

Crawford is another good comp for what Jones brings. Another guy that doesn't truly have a "home" position.

The only trying issue with Crawford is that the FO overvalued his ability and way overpaid for his skillset. He's not a terrible backup
"swiss army knife" and can play all the positions on the DL. Just too much money for the player which is not his fault at all.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He played in eight games last year and started all eight, and was by far our best interior DL. I'm not exactly sure why fans play down what he accomplished in half a season. Maybe it's because the team doesn't seem sure about him, but that has little to do with his play IMO.

And why did he "start"? Because this team's actual 1-tech tackles were retired or on IR.

I'm not "playing down" anything, the guy is a great disruptor and pass rusher. But I'm also not turning a blind eye to the fact that he has weaknesses against the run and isn't and has never been a true starter.

Why do you think the team "isn't sure about him"?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we could get a middle to upper 2nd round draft pick in this draft, I would do a backflip.

I don't see that happening. I see a comp pick after he leaves in 2019.

He's preparing for that and isn't actively soliciting long term contract offers.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only trying issue with Crawford is that the FO overvalued his ability and way overpaid for his skillset. He's not a terrible backup
"swiss army knife" and can play all the positions on the DL. Just too much money for the player which is not his fault at all.

Agreed. He's not a bad player, it's just a bad contract. One more year and they can do something about it.

rkell87

Reaction score
Ugh please no, the guy was over hyped, over drafted, coming out and everyone here wanted him while I'm sitting here thinking what the hell do you all see in this guy? He should have been a 3rd round prospect at best and his journeyman status shows that ultimately I was correct as usual. Our fans are ******* ********.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Kony Ealy's two most common comps from his athletic testing are:

Vinny Curry at 80.8%
And Tyrone Crawford at 80.7%

LittleD

Reaction score
I don't see that happening. I see a comp pick after he leaves in 2019.

He's preparing for that and isn't actively soliciting long term contract offers.

The draft is coming and we can dream can't we. You are probably right though. Dallas doesn't seem to be able to trade
with any team these days without getting fleeced.

LittleD

Reaction score
Agreed. He's not a bad player, it's just a bad contract. One more year and they can do something about it.

Right! Who knows maybe he will tear it up this year...Miracles can happen from time to time.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
And why did he "start"? Because this team's actual 1-tech tackles were retired or on IR.

I'm not "playing down" anything, the guy is a great disruptor and pass rusher. But I'm also not turning a blind eye to the fact that he has weaknesses against the run and isn't and has never been a true starter.

Why do you think the team "isn't sure about him"?

Because he's a bit of an enigma. He apparently doesn't follow rules all that well, so it's difficult to decide if he's worth the hassle.
Plus, the team doesn't have to decide that yet since he's an RFA. Give him a full season and let's see what he can do.

Ultimately, if teams can do like the Eagles did and take advantage of him against the run, I'm fine with him being more of a passing-down player if he ends up with the kind of pressure, sacks and batted passes he was producing last year.