Twitter: DE Kony Ealy to Visit Cowboys

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that as long as you aren't paying 9 million a season.

Nothing wrong at all, that honestly made me more excited about the visit. But I'm still sticking to my preferene of Ford or Orchard. Possibly Dee ford, but I didn't watch his tape from last year.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I think you are mistaken

Datone Jones has always been a DE/OLB that can slide inside to 3T....... but I have never seen him as a 1T
I did. His best play was taking on the center and blowing up a play.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He does have 3-tech size in Marinelli's scheme at 6-5, 288.

I like Jones better at DT than DE. He was starting to show a little something late in the year as he got more playing time.

Does anyone know his status with the team. I seen where he was listed as a FA and also listed as a RFA or ERFA. Ten I seen where he is still listed on the roster.

So I am not sure about his status, as if on the roster or some kind of a FA.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because he's a bit of an enigma. He apparently doesn't follow rules all that well, so it's difficult to decide if he's worth the hassle.
Plus, the team doesn't have to decide that yet since he's an RFA. Give him a full season and let's see what he can do.

A dominant season where it all comes together ultimately benefits both Irving and the Cowboys. If he does it, great for him and great for the Cowboys.

Ultimately, if teams can do like the Eagles did and take advantage of him against the run, I'm fine with him being more of a passing-down player if he ends up with the kind of pressure, sacks and batted passes he was producing last year.

But it then gets tricky in paying a part-time player. Irving will be looking to get paid as much as he can and won't want to hear anything about being paid like a part-tine player.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Dry, stale and tasteless is about all that is left in free agency.

I am not counting the safeties since we apparently have decided the ones left are all strong safeties and cannot play in our defensive scheme.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Their interest in this player is kinda odd, considering Bowman who could depth at a need position is still out there.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
A dominant season where it all comes together ultimately benefits both Irving and the Cowboys. If he does it, great for him and great for the Cowboys.

But it then gets tricky in paying a part-time player. Irving will be looking to get paid as much as he can and won't want to hear anything about being paid like a part-tine player.

I agree on paying him being tricky. Let's say he puts up 12 sacks, 7 PDs and forces a couple of fumbles as well as being consistently disruptive in only a pass rushing role. I'd have trouble not trying to retain that kind of production unless there are some other issues involved, such as being a bad locker-room presence.

However, I believe if he's producing like that, he'll end up getting the lion's share of the snaps at DT. He would probably only not be out there in clear running situations, because we have to spell him some so why not spell him on plays where more beef on the line would be better.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
Positives of Ealy:

Durable, has missed one game through four years. Not sure if it was injury related or nkt.
Has shown flashes of dominance
Still young at 26 years old
Has a ton of batted passes over his career
Had an unbelievable 6.83 second 3 cone drill at the combine, which is very important for an edge rusher. That would have been the best of all edge defenders in this upcoming draft class. Harold Landry closest at 6.88
Last but certainly not least, he's a well known player so if we sign him, posters wouldnt think theyre funny or original by posting "who?"
Some people are going to complain he is coming in for a visit, the same people will complain if we sign him, the same people will complain if we don't sign him!

tm1119

Reaction score
Not my 1st choice but we def need depth at DE so I’ll take it

John813

Reaction score
Would be a good signing. Depth at DE is key to any run.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Their interest in this player is kinda odd, considering Bowman who could depth at a need position is still out there.

I think the Cowboys believe their mistake in free agency last year was paying for more seasoned FAs.

This year, it's been 25-year-old Cameron Fleming with four seasons of experience, Joe Thomas 26 and three years and Allen Hurns 26 and four years. Deonte Thompson is the only FA whose experience is similar to those players we acquired last year, but Thompson (29) hadn't really played that much before the last three years.

Ealy at 26 and four years fits that profile. Bowman does not. (That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see Dallas sign Bowman.)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If we can afford him and or have Cap space I’d be interested. I liked him several years ago when we had an opportunity to draft him.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that as long as you aren't paying 9 million a season.

KD Drummond's USA Today post on this says it would cancel out the comp pick we get for Hitchens. I don't get that, how would that happen unless we gave Ealy some ridiculous salary?

I would like the move it if it was a vet minimum deal with incentives, let him compete at LDE with Taco and Crawford.