deadly, venomous, lethal, swarming...Dallas Defense

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
dogunwo;1488537 said:
Man, I hope alot of you arent getting your hopes up too high. SD defense did get beat at times last year, they weren't invincible
after watching a few charger games the dline was the key to the defense. i know fergy will do his part, so let's just hope spears and canty or whoever the other DE will do there part

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
lspain1;1488593 said:
Last year we had some cool adjectives as well.....

but in the end only one really worked......

overrated

So true. I'm with WG in reserving my judgment until I see the unit perform up to expectations on the field. Besides, I'm not exactly sure how "venomous" applies to a defense any way. The other adjectives would be nice though.

Angus

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1488544 said:
Last offseason, they were the beginnings of Doomsday III.

After preseason, they were all world.

After the Indy game, they'd arrived...Miami bound, yo!

After the NO game, they were exposed.

After the Detroit game, they were humiliated.

After the Seattle game, they all should've been cut or traded.

Hmmm...I'm still waiting on some proof that they can be deadly, venomous, lethal, and swarming...

A voice of reason . . .!!!

;)

Reaction score
dogunwo;1488537 said:
Man, I hope alot of you arent getting your hopes up too high. SD defense did get beat at times last year, they weren't invincible

San Diego's defense was leaps and bounds better than the Cowboys defense, be real.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ThreeSportStar80;1488873 said:
San Diego's defense was leaps and bounds better than the Cowboys defense, be real.
No, they weren't.

But if you see it enough on message boards, it becomes legendary.

Scoring
Dallas gave up 21.9 ppg

San Diego gave up 18.9 ppg

Passing
Dallas - Avg 219.1 ypg

San Diego - 200.8 ypg

Rushing

Dallas - Avg 3.9 ypc 108.6 ypg

San Diego - Avg 4.2 ypc 100.8 ypg

Total Yards per game
Dallas 322.8

San Diego 301.6

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1488884 said:
No, they weren't.

Scoring
Dallas gave up 21.9 ppg

Passing
Dallas - Avg 219.1 ypg

San Diego - 200.8 ypg

Rushing

Total Yards per game
Dallas 322.8

San Diego 301.6

Ok well put up the SACK totals from last year and the take aways. San Diego's defense was much more consistant, Dallas fell apart.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ThreeSportStar80;1488895 said:
Ok well put up the SACK totals from last year and the take aways. San Diego's defense was much more consistant, Dallas fell apart.
I don't need to. I know that SD generated more sacks. I KNOW that Wade's defense is going to be much more exciting to watch, but let's not make his D in San Diego so much better that perception is better than reality.

Because even with all the pressure it generated last year and even with all the sacks it generated, their overall numbers were still not that much better than Dallas' and they were bounced out of the 1st round just like Dallas was.

Folks need to get real about Wade and his defense. It's not some magic elixir that will fix all that ails the Dallas defense.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1488903 said:
I don't need to. I know that SD generated more sacks. I KNOW that Wade's defense is going to be much more exciting to watch, but let's not make his D in San Diego so much better that perception is better than reality.

Because even with all the pressure it generated last year and even with all the sacks it generated, they're overall numbers were still not that much better than Dallas' and they were bounced out of the 1st round just like Dallas was.

Folks need to get real about Wade and his defense. It's not some magic elixir that will fix all that ails the Dallas defense.

:eek:

Stop the blasphemy.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
smarta5150;1488909 said:
Actually you are hating... I am still sippin' kooooooool aid :p:
I didn't like the flavor of that koolaid.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1488911 said:
I didn't like the flavor of that koolaid.

I am just excited for the fact we will blitz more and disguise it more.

Whether we get to the QB is up to our players, but we'll have to wait and see.

el_chevo

El Serrano
Reaction score
lane;1488518 said:
these are just a few adjectives to describe our defense this year.

it's go time baby..

anyone feel me?

Don't let the thread killers hurt ya, playa. I with ya, I feel ya - I'm pumped about our D this coming season! Hell ya!

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1488884 said:
No, they weren't.

Scoring
Dallas gave up 21.9 ppg

Passing
Dallas - Avg 219.1 ypg

San Diego - 200.8 ypg

Rushing

Total Yards per game
Dallas 322.8

San Diego 301.6

Perfect example of stats lying.

Sorry, but Dallas' D was nowhere near as good as SD's D last year. Yards per are meaningless unless we played the exact same schedule in the exact same conditions.

superpunk

Reaction score
Rack;1488963 said:
Perfect example of stats lying.

Sorry, but Dallas' D was nowhere near as good as SD's D last year. Yards per are meaningless unless we played the exact same schedule in the exact same conditions.

Football outsiders.com takes much of that into consideration - SD ranked 16th overall, we ranked 18th.

Our defense was one of the league's best until the Saints made fools of our players. After that, it was absolutely the league's worst. So, if you're thinking is skewed by just the last 4 weeks of the season, your perception is going to be misguided, as evidenced by your response above. You've ignored an atrocious mid-season stretch of games in which teams like Cleveland were rolling up on the Chargers. The only difference is that they fixed theirproblems before seasons end, for the most part.

The reality is, that in any scenario other than sacks and pressure, they weren't any better than the Cowboys.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
superpunk;1488967 said:
Football outsiders.com takes much of that into consideration - SD ranked 16th overall, we ranked 18th.

Our defense was one of the league's best until the Saints made fools of our players. After that, it was absolutely the league's worst. So, if you're thinking is skewed by just the last 4 weeks of the season, your perception is going to be misguided, as evidenced by your response above. You've ignored an atrocious mid-season stretch of games in which teams like Cleveland were rolling up on the Chargers. The only difference is that they fixed theirproblems before seasons end, for the most part.

The reality is, that in any scenario other than sacks and pressure, they weren't any better than the Cowboys.

Sorry, but that's untrue. They may have been RATED high, but they weren't one of the best.

Edit: And the Browns scored ONE TD vs the Chargers, I wouldn't call that "rolling up on" anyone.

fortdick

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1488903 said:

Because even with all the pressure it generated last year and even with all the sacks it generated, their overall numbers were still not that much better than Dallas' and they were bounced out of the 1st round just like Dallas was.

So true. With gambling comes risk. Wde may blitz more, but you can easily get burnt that way. Expect some going both ways. Parcell's pedestrian game plan was designed not to lose. Wade's aggressive style may be picked apart if he gets too predictable. I.E., Brees.

superpunk

Reaction score
Rack;1488973 said:
Sorry, but that's untrue. They may have been RATED high, but they weren't one of the best.

well, that's certainly an opinion.