Deadwood Thread

Duane

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Those two clearly drive that show....however I really do enjoy most of the characters.

It is just such a good show that kind of came out of nowhere...I do not even know if the people putting the show together knew it would have came out so well.

However I will bee soon finding myself in soprano and deadwood withdraw.

I fear that at this late stage in the Six Feet Under series it would not be good for me to start watching it now (never have watched it), at the risk of not understanding what the heck is going on.

I remember I did not start watching the Sopranos until the 4th season...and I was really confused until I seen the series 1-3 on DVD.

Either way...Deadwood really hooked me.

Six Feet is worth watching. Peter Krause is one of the best actors of his generation and his on screen relationship with Rachel Griffiths is classic.

Last year was a bit of a let down for me with Nate getting married and having a kid, less of the Nate/Brenda thing.

The other characters are well written and continue to evolve. All that with the backdrop of a family funeral home business make for entertaining viewing.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
BulletBob said:
Paesan, one of the early interviews with the director revealed that he fully knew the language to be anachronistic. He added it to impact the viewer in the gut with how rough a place the Old West actually was. Judging by the widespread reaction, though, I'm not sure he entirely achieved his objective.

If you can get past the bad language, the dialog is absolutely outstanding. I cannot recall a series with a more sophisticated interchange between the rich characters. I've been totally bowled over as an innocent bystander - I can only imagine my appreciation if I'd have had your training & background.

I believe it is the most well-written television show I have ever seen.

The acting is phenomenal. Did anyone catch the Doctor's drunken soliloquy about what he had experienced during the Civil War? That's powerful acting, my friends.

I honestly hope this show sweeps the Emmies. Excessive use of foul language is its only shortcoming (IMHO).

Hey Bob!

I agree some awesome acting is goin on, particularly in last night's season finale.

Those"soliloquys" are exactly what makes the series unique, and the characters get deeper by the episode.

I've always been a major Ian McShane fan, but I notice how adept he has become at using his body language to set mood. When he slumps, when his shoulders sag, when he sighs, he doesn't need to ham it up...the mood change is complete.

I also am amazed at how this character, so vicious, a pimp who would sell anyone or anything, a murderous scoundrel who thinks nothing of killing with his own hand and setting others out to kill, a conniving, thieving, unspeakably vulgar, carnal, and greedy creature, has become, actually, somewhat sympathetic, simply because unlike the politicans (ie the now deceased magistrate and his henchmen) there is a self honesty about his level of corruption and venality.

Swearengen knows exactly what he is, doesn't lie to himself about what he's become, and McShane's drawing a startling portait of a man who both understands what he's lost, yet refuses to shed any tears over it. He has nothing human left in him but his willingness to look himself in the mirror and call it for what it is. There's a certain bravery. almost nobility, in his looking into the pit of his depraved soul and choosing not to be a hypocrite. On some level, it's a freaking heroic portrayal.

Wonderful acting by all, but McShane is just riveting. I hope the potty mouth thing does not keep him from an Emmy.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did the binge on this one a while back and although very well put together it ended weak IMO.

Then again most series do.

It was cancelled before they could do an ending.

After the last season they assumed there would be another but a new head honcho for HBO wanted to cut budgets and his targets were the HBO shos Rome and Deadwood since they were expensive to make.

Rome was given a final season that was so. Discombobulated by trying to cram multiple seasons into one shortened one. There was word that they were going to do two two hour shows of deadwood to wrap it up but it never happened.

Timothy Olyphant was talking in an interview about he and his wife just bought a new house thinking that deadwood had a few more seasons at least only for the whole cast and crew too be shocked by its cancelation. He joked that in debt for the new house and the cancelation was the cause of him doing the crappy movie hit an just for the check lol

sulu1701

Reaction score
Awesome episode last night. Two highlights:

1. Discussion of gratis versus "free" was hysterical.

2. How about EB's sillioquies last night? "That gutter-mouth b**** going up to see the death-sick sky-high widow - a conversation for the ages!"

BTW, Calamity Jane has become one of my favorite characters. The language is overboard at times, but this character absolutely slays me with her use of offensive language.
My fav. character was Trixie, she was mean and sensuous at the same time lol
cq5dam.web.1200.675.jpeg

sulu1701

Reaction score
I was surprised to find out the characters were based on real people. How accurate who knows for sure.

And the CS word wasn't a noticable this time. Swearengen wasn't going off on a tirade.
Bullock actually owned a Hotel in Deadwood

sulu1701

Reaction score
I got a kick out of the fact that whenever they killed someone, they fed the body to Woo's hogs to get rid of the evidence

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
If you liked Deadwood you need to watch Justified.

Ehhh. I absolutely will second a recommendation of watching Justified. Show is fantastic, and is Olyphant at his best.
But I would absolutely not compare Deadwood and Justified as TV shows. They are very different.

Olyphant is pretty much good in everything though.

Very excited about the upcoming Deadwood movie.