Dean Blandino on Micah holds

pete026

Reaction score
Higher pressure rates mean you're beating the oline. When you beat your man or men, they are more prone to compensate and hold. They aren't holding guys they have well blocked.

Surely we can agree holding is merely a last effort to block?

There's no need to commission a study for common sense, in that guys with higher rates would be held more often.

While I think there's merrit in comparing Parsons to other pass rushers, he has acknowledged the top guys don't get the calls they earn either. So I'm not sure a study would establish anything unless you adjusted it per players pressure rate. No one is going to do that though. The league is not looking to find fault or take points off the scoreboard. Neither of those help with ratings. Maybe PPF or some other advanced metrics player would take up the cause.

To be completely transparent I don't have a clue how many times he's held a game. I do know he's generated a ton of pressure and not having drawn a flag in "46 quarters" is unbelievable.

Of course we disagree that he should be focused on more than his team mates for the simple fact he wins so often. Still even watching the entire line it seems far fetched he'd go this long.
I agree but I could also see the direct opposite.

A player is getting higher pressure rates because they are not getting held like other players. Not relating this to Parsons directly, but more globally. Doesn't this also makes sense?

Reactions: CWR

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is why I constantly bring up the wording of the rule. "Material restriction" implies that some restriction is fine. So if you can effectively fight off what might have been a material restriction to a mere mortal, it only looks like acceptable restriction at those speeds. So it combines with the other wording about the defender's path to the ball and if it looks like his path is not being impacted then he doesn't look like one who's being held. But that will never fly when there are "46 Quarters, OMG!" headlines out there.
This sounds like they're saying, "It's okay to hold, if that's the only way you can slow him down."

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Elite player Mario Lemieux single handedly changed the way the officials called the NHL by diving. Blatantly diving, done with a dramatic flair. It was pathetic and I had no respect for him because of that.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Elite player Mario Lemieux single handedly changed the way the officials called the NHL by diving. Blatantly diving, done with a dramatic flair. It was pathetic and I had no respect for him because of that.
Sounds like he and Chris Paul would get along swell

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Sorry, when players are making points that turn into complaints, the league needs to crap or get off the toilet. Fix the issue.
There's been plenty of time to avoid it being intentional.
I'm not blaming JUST the refs, the NFL needs to get it together.

Proof

Reaction score
Neither is there context to getting no holding calls with no historical data on getting holding calls to call it out of the ordinary compared to calls refs miss anyway. As for my house, I'm telling you it's extraordinary and you can just see it with your own eyes as well as by report of others. It has a fantastic reputation. Just don't go researching similar property values for financial statistics to see if it's really $8M. The eye test speaks for itself. It's a steal. I've said before your screen name is ironic. Free country.
again, you’re just terrible at this. the amount of time micah has gone w/out a call is egregious. whether or not it’s consistent doesn’t change that fact, would only serve to make other instances egregious as well.

being able to identify obvious things does not take any special skill, and certainly does not require research. i provided some for you anyway though. you’re more concerned with arguing and being on an officiating island than having productive conversations though. enjoy

MarcusRock

Reaction score
again, you’re just terrible at this. the amount of time micah has gone w/out a call is egregious. whether or not it’s consistent doesn’t change that fact, would only serve to make other instances egregious as well.

being able to identify obvious things does not take any special skill, and certainly does not require research. i provided some for you anyway though. you’re more concerned with arguing and being on an officiating island than having productive conversations though. enjoy
Okay, so it's egregious because you and maybe others say so and no comparative research (or "Proof") needed because it's obvious. My house is great, all the rappers shoot their videos there so it's obviously a great house. It's egregiously cheap at $8M, no property value research needed. Buy it and swoon.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I haven’t read through the entire thread, so I’m sure it’s been said already….but Micah needs to sell it better.

If he complains, the camera will go to him doing so. They can’t keep getting away with not calling it when it’s clear on the replay.

But all this stuff comes out after the fact. He needs to not throw a fit, but someone needs to be sure this starts to get pointed out on the telecast of the game, not on twitter on Monday.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You may want to edit this post, if possible.
I say leave it there. It shows that Tweeter is ignorant of the rules while calling people idiots. My favorite internet occurrence out there. The only thing more perfect would be if he spelled idiot wrong.

RULE 12 PLAYER CONDUCT
SECTION 1 BLOCKING, USE OF HANDS AND ARMS
ARTICLE 7. ILLEGAL USE OF HANDS BY DEFENSE. It is a foul if a defensive player thrusts his hands or arms forward above
the frame of an opponent to forcibly contact him on the head or neck in a direct or prolonged manner.
Penalty: For illegal use of hands by the defense: Loss of five yards and an automatic first down.
The red parts are what did not happen. Decker went to block high and Parsons did a rip move underneath. The penalty is talking about a boxing jab type motion or aiming for someone's head and trying to control him by that. That first still shot is of a different play and, well, it's a still shot so it tells you very little about if the above penalty happened or not.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I say leave it there. It shows that Tweeter is ignorant of the rules while calling people idiots. My favorite internet occurrence out there. The only thing more perfect would be if he spelled idiot wrong.

RULE 12 PLAYER CONDUCT
SECTION 1 BLOCKING, USE OF HANDS AND ARMS
ARTICLE 7. ILLEGAL USE OF HANDS BY DEFENSE. It is a foul if a defensive player thrusts his hands or arms forward above
the frame of an opponent to forcibly contact him on the head or neck in a direct or prolonged manner.
Penalty: For illegal use of hands by the defense: Loss of five yards and an automatic first down.
The red parts are what did not happen. Decker went to block high and Parsons did a rip move underneath. The penalty is talking about a boxing jab type motion or aiming for someone's head and trying to control him by that. That first still shot is of a different play and, well, it's a still shot so it tells you very little about if the above penalty happened or not.
five yards?

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I think it’s more psychological than Mechanical . They really are just thinking “I can’t call Tina or holdings the fans will complain I’m flag happy “.

Then they just never end up calling any. For the entire year?

Just call one a game. Pick the worse one

Proof

Reaction score
Okay, so it's egregious because you and maybe others say so and no comparative research (or "Proof") needed because it's obvious. My house is great, all the rappers shoot their videos there so it's obviously a great house. It's egregiously cheap at $8M, no property value research needed. Buy it and swoon.
your house scenario has to be one of the worst counterpoints i’ve encountered. (your zack martin comparison was up there)

certain things just are. “boy it’s really hot out” without looking at the temperature or comparing it to other days.

“this movie is incredibly sad”

“marcus rock sides with the refs”

etc etc

you’ve seen micah get held with your own eyes without a call. the former head of officiating and network officiating expert has as well. along with me, countless others, analysts, the players themselves.

question for you, have you come across anyone who doesn’t find the lack of holding calls against the premiere guys to be a big deal?

HungryLion

Reaction score
You may want to edit this post, if possible.
Well ya see, the hand is on Micah’s chin. And so, is it really in his neck or face? The chin isn’t part of the neck or face.

And is it forcible? I mean we see Micah’s head bent backward but was it really forcible? Maybe Micah was just decided to stretch his neck in the middle of rushing the passer. Maybe he had a crick in his neck. Maybe Micah’s head is just abnormally heavy and causes his neck to bend backward awkwardly. None of those things could be known from seeing a picture or a short video clip. So how can the poor refs be expected to make that judgment at full speed?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well ya see, the hand is on Micah’s chin. And so, is it really in his neck or face? The chin isn’t part of the neck or face.

And is it forcible? I mean we see Micah’s head bent backward but was it really forcible? Maybe Micah was just decided to stretch his neck in the middle of rushing the passer. Maybe he had a crick in his neck. Maybe Micah’s head is just abnormally heavy and causes his neck to bend backward awkwardly. None of those things could be known from seeing a picture or a short video clip. So how can the poor refs be expected to make that judgment at full speed?
Maybe the ref thought Micah was assaulting the lineman with his neck, but let it go.