Deandre Hopkins traded to AZ

Blackspider214

Reaction score
What in the world is Houston doing? How many RBs have they traded for in the last year? Don't get it. Watson as Oline issues and you get rid of his best target? Hmmmm ok. And now Murray in Arizona has a legit great WR.

Then again, BOB is not the brightest guy out there so this is par for the course for him.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I believe they would know to have signed Amari first.

Stupid if true.

Hopkins is elite on a 13,15, 14 per year. So trade a top 3 receiver who is 27 for a guy you might sign?

I mean it's possible. Just something fishy they are reporting

Seems like the trade was in the works or at least discussed for a while. The Cooper part was speculative...

Rayman70

Reaction score
I don’t see where Houston got better. Deshaun Watson just lost one of the top WR threats in the league.
that's fair...but lets see how they replace him first. If they properly replace him, it makes the Johnson trade much better.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
that's fair...but lets see how they replace him first. If they properly replace him, it makes the Johnson trade much better.

Not going to be easy replacing a receiver like Hopkins.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
What in the world is Houston doing? How many RBs have they traded for in the last year? Don't get it. Watson as Oline issues and you get rid of his best target? Hmmmm ok. And now Murray in Arizona has a legit great WR.

Then again, BOB is not the brightest guy out there so this is par for the course for him.

I have to wonder. Are they run by Dan Snyder and friends?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Problem is if Houston wanted the cap relief they would of asked for more picks (1st and 3rd for Hopkins straight up).

Instead they traded for a 2nd and a 10+ million dollar cap hit in Johnson ????

If cap was the ultimate prize then why didn't they just trade for picks only ?

Possibly the Cardinals wanted to move Johnson for their own cap relief, but not sure what his cap hit was. But not nearly as bad as Hopkins. But it would offset taking on Hopkins contract. Just a guess on my part.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Johnson is injury prone and washed up. Hopkins is an all-pro in his prime. What the hell are you talking about?
just wait and see where all the dominoes fall first..then maybe it will make more sense. Its a puzzle and its not done. Mostly this was done for cap savings.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
no it never is...I cant believe it myself..but its about MAYBE another move or two they have in mind.

The only thing I can figure is that his numbers came down last season from the previous two seasons. It’s possible they saw some decline who knows. However he still had a real solid season last year.

coogrfan

Reaction score
nope...too early to say. You and I have no real idea what the plan is. I do know if Johnson has the right team around him, this will help him and Watson. Brings balance to the team. Now I expect Houston to pursue a wr in free agency and the draft. Keep in mind they must find cap money to hang onto DJ reader or tag him.

Terrible OL, no #1 wr's and a laughably bad HC/GM. It's safe to say the Texans aren't the "right team" you speak of.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Possibly the Cardinals wanted to move Johnson for their own cap relief, but not sure what his cap hit was. But not nearly as bad as Hopkins. But it would offset taking on Hopkins contract. Just a guess on my part.
Johnsons deal for 2020 is only 2.3 less million dollars than Hopkins deal.

Hopkins is playing for dirt cheap right now (12.5 million for an all-pro WR). Houston basically traded a steal contract for a bloated RB contract + a 2nd (lol).

That's what crazy, they don't get any real cap relief by doing this, they only save 2.3 million

me thinks they aint done. I hear they are after Amari Cooper.
Hopkins signed his deal years ago. He's only 12.5 million for 2020 and 13.5 for 2021.

He's playing well under market rate. Why would they dump him then sign an inferior player for 5-7 more million dollars a year ?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Terrible OL, no #1 wr's and a laughably bad HC/GM. It's safe to say the Texans aren't the "right team" you speak of.
its just march and they were in the playoffs last year...we were not. So I tend to trust them. Lets just wait and see.