DeAngelo Hall Released....could he become a Cowboy?

Section446

Reaction score
EPL0c0;2406128 said:
No, no and um...no. He's very overrated imo. If he was solid before going to oakland ok...but no.
He was "solid" when he was lucky enough to play against mediocre WR's.

Section446

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2406131 said:
could it be that he was used in the wrong system

you know how the raiders are as far as winning and coaching

im not saying hall is randy moss, but moss didnt light it up in oakland either, and look what he did his first year in new england
Doesn't hurt when you have one of the best QB's in NFL history throwing you the ball. How is Moss doing this year without Brady?

Kaika

Have a Good Day Pilgrims
Reaction score
PaulH1083;2406127 said:
Because I happen to go to a college who's mascot is an Eagle?

Calm down there Cowboy. I'm sure you know what I was referring too.

Now that I know I apologize.

Go Eagles.:bow:

Just not Philthy:)

Section446

Reaction score
sandtrapp;2406135 said:
Calm down there Cowboy. I'm sure you know what I was referring too.

Now that I know I apologize.

Go Eagles.:bow:

Just not Philthy:)
I wasn't getting worked up..... I attend the University of North Texas and sadly our mascot is an Eagle. I prefer to tell people that we are the "Mean Green" but half the time they just look at me confused when I say that so I stick with the Eagle thing.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2406131 said:
could it be that he was used in the wrong system

there arnt any systems he can fit, because he cant cover and cant tackle

I just dont understand how people get so hung up on certain guys, that no matter how bad they suck they defend them and think "we can turn him around"

the guy cant play...he's awful

Section446

Reaction score
dbair1967;2406144 said:
there arnt any systems he can fit, because he cant cover and cant tackle

I just dont understand how people get so hung up on certain guys, that no matter how bad they suck they defend them and think "we can turn him around"

the guy cant play...he's awful
Like I said, the guy was a combine warrior who ran a great forty time and had good measurables. Some people are stupidly obsessed with measurables and not obsessed enough with actual play.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I personally don't think he's as bad as some make him out to be but he's certainly no where near as good as he believes, or the media for that matter, that he is.

He's not the Pro Bowler that the 05 and 06 nominations would lead people who've never seen him play to believe.

Kaika

Have a Good Day Pilgrims
Reaction score
PaulH1083;2406141 said:
I wasn't getting worked up..... I attend the University of North Texas and sadly our mascot is an Eagle. I prefer to tell people that we are the "Mean Green" but half the time they just look at me confused when I say that so I stick with the Eagle thing.

You can and should be proud of the Eagle. Use it proudly for your University, just because Philly gives the bird a bad name it doesn't make all Eagles Bad. Just the ones from Philly.;)

Kaika

Have a Good Day Pilgrims
Reaction score
I guess the bottom line would be ,after we get all our compliment of players back do we really need him ? I'm not sure he would be the one to put us over the top.

Is the baggage worth the risk.
I haven't followed him this year so I can't judge just yet.
But why did Oakland dump him on the heap?

Givincer

Reaction score
I'm all for getting all the good players we can. I supported TO. I supported Pacman. I supported Roy Williams.

But I don't think we need Hall. I really do not.

We already have the talent and depth. It's time to win with it; it's that simple.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
I dont know, now if hall is a knucklehead, i dont want him, but we could use him if he is any good, that way we could put hall at one corner, newman at other corner, henry at free safety, and hamlin at strong safety, then scandrick at the slot and jenkins can back up till he improves, then you would have a very good secondary if they can jell and by end of december no one could throw on us

now at same time, adam jones might come back, but i think the commissioner is going to make him sit out at least 3 more games after this one, and only then if the doctors tell goodell adam has straightened out his life from alcohol and anger management

so im like givincer, get all the good players we can, just dont break the bank for next year, since we need to resign ware, canty, spears, tank, columbo

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Was this guy ever...good?

Isn't he the "punchline" in the Columbo video?

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Givincer;2406189 said:
I'm all for getting all the good players we can. I supported TO. I supported Pacman. I supported Roy Williams.

But I don't think we need Hall. I really do not.

We already have the talent and depth. It's time to win with it; it's that simple.

I agree with your end conclusion.

I actually think we could use Hall. He's better than given credit for here, although is not the uber-great player the media builds him up as. Without a doubt, that could help us for the present and future.

But I think his personality, plus the persona, is not what this team needs. We're already a glitzy team full of guys like him. And not that he's necessarily a rotten apple, but he's an ego guy.

Like I've said before, this is a critical juncture of our season where, as the cliches go, we need to buckle up our chinstraps and decide what kind of team we want to be. Signing Hall, I think, would send the entirely wrong message to the team of what direction it is that we need to be going.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2406270 said:
I dont know, now if hall is a knucklehead, i dont want him, but we could use him if he is any good, that way we could put hall at one corner, newman at other corner, henry at free safety, and hamlin at strong safety, then scandrick at the slot and jenkins can back up till he improves, then you would have a very good secondary if they can jell and by end of december no one could throw on us

now at same time, adam jones might come back, but i think the commissioner is going to make him sit out at least 3 more games after this one, and only then if the doctors tell goodell adam has straightened out his life from alcohol and anger management

so im like givincer, get all the good players we can, just dont break the bank for next year, since we need to resign ware, canty, spears, tank, columbo

Hall would undoubtedly provide us flexibility in the secondary -- the flexibility we were hoping Pacman would give us. He's young, and can be a staple in the secondary with Newman, Jenkins and Scandrick for years to come, and we could easily discard Henry next season (or move him to safety).

And, yes, as someone said above, he is the punch line to many things. But that doesn't mean Hall isn't a good player. He is, he's just not the "next Deion" as he's been called before.

But I can't stress enough that I think simply signing another high-profile guy at this point in the season sends the wrong message to this team. PLENTY of good teams in this league have guys that could be upgraded with a name player, yet they continue to go out there and win with their guys that perform well in the system. It's time we become that team.

The talent, largely, is here. It's all those other things that make someone a winner that is missing. Hall only adds to what's wrong with us. And it's not like we could justify signing Hall by saying, "Well, this is the fiery, leader with playoff experience we need." Umm, no. :)

burmafrd

Reaction score
He gets toasted regularly and also has a tendency to do stupid things and get penalties. Frankly he would be about the 4th best CB we have right now if we got him.

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
Maybe we need someone with a "big-mouth" on defense? Something, some kind of a reaction. They're dead ducks floating a top a scummy pond at the moment. I'm so disappointed by our defense it's not even funny. If I was Jerry Jones, I'd be throwing balls of fire at them from the skybox.

On a serious note though; I don't judge any player "behavior-wise" until they come to Dallas. It's a different place here than any other place in the NFL, that's been proven. Players whom seemingly can't fit anywhere, fit here like a piece of a puzzle. Now that we've had them, we wouldn't toss back a TO, a Dieon Sanders, a Michael Irvin or a Charles Haley.

As for the Moss>Hall>Oakland thing.. perhaps, never know. Charles Woodson was basically just on a last leg before leaving the Raiders, too. Now look at him up in Green Bay. Just like Moss in NE. Not saying Hall is what we need as in a total package, but for what we need him for, maybe? He could seriously be a good part of a great DIME package with Newman, Henry, Pac and Jenkins. Not too mention depth.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Hall is a guy - like BP would say that is a street player. He relies too much on Physical ability and not on technique.

He stated in NFL Network piece that he went to Oakland where they play a man to man defense and he was more of a zone guy who liked to "freelance"

And there you have it in a nutshell. Maybe he should bulk up - learn how to tackle and play FS

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
aikemirv;2406671 said:
Hall is a guy - like BP would say that is a street player. He relies too much on Physical ability and not on technique.

He stated in NFL Network piece that he went to Oakland where they play a man to man defense and he was more of a zone guy who liked to "freelance"

And there you have it in a nutshell. Maybe he should bulk up - learn how to tackle and play FS

Yep... Even Marshall Faulk said he was "a guesser". Which he is. Some people always complained about Newman not making more plays and said that at least Hall did... Well, you're going to get more picks and make Sportscenter when you jump routes and play outside the system. But you're going to get burned a lot and let your teammates down, too.

BTW, Pacman is a very similar type of corner.

Oh, and the final nail in the coffin for Hall... Mortensen said yesterday on 103.3 that he knows some people in Atlanta very well and they all said Hall was a bad, bad locker room guy. That he's a fairly smart guy and knows the right cliches to say to the media, but that's he's a bad teammate and a bad influence behind closed doors.