DeCastro at 14 is stupid

JBS

Reaction score
I, like many people on here, have had DeCastro very high up on my wish list. However, the reality of the situation is that this class of guards is incredibly deep. Strategically, it makes absolutely zero sense to use a first round pick on a hole that can EASILY be filled in rounds 2, 3, or even 4.

Quick mock

Brockers
Boykin
Osemele

tm1119

Reaction score
1st, DeCastro is head and shoulders above the rest of the guards. 2nd, what guard do u see past the 2nd that can start right away? DeCastro, Glenn, Zeitler, and Washington, and Osemele are the only 1's I see starting from day 1 right away. Anyone else is a stretch and a gamble.

Plus the CB class is way deeper than the guards. So by your logic we shouldn't draft 1 of those either. So who's left at 14? Ingram or Upshaw only? No thanks to Upshaw and I doubt Ingram lasts.

JBS

Reaction score
tm1119;4406222 said:
1st, DeCastro is head and shoulders above the rest of the guards. 2nd, what guard do u see past the 2nd that can start right away? DeCastro, Glenn, Zeitler, and Washington, and Osemele are the only 1's I see starting from day 1 right away. Anyone else is a stretch and a gamble.

Plus the CB class is way deeper than the guards. So by your logic we shouldn't draft 1 of those either. So who's left at 14? Ingram or Upshaw only? No thanks to Upshaw and I doubt Ingram lasts.

I agree that the CB class is also incredibly deep. If possible I would rather wait til round 2 to select a CB..see my mock above. However, CB is a much more important position than guard...because of this, CBs come off the board at a much higher rate than guards

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4406215 said:
I, like many people on here, have had DeCastro very high up on my wish list. However, the reality of the situation is that this class of guards is incredibly deep. Strategically, it makes absolutely zero sense to use a first round pick on a hole that can EASILY be filled in rounds 2, 3, or even 4.

Quick mock

Brockers
Boykin
Osemele

DeCastro is clearly the best OG in the class by a wide margin. He's a legitimate blue-chip prospect. If I have a shot at the best prospect at any position at #14, I'm going to consider it heavily.

It's like the 2007 Vikings saying "meh, why are we gonna use the #7 overall pick on Adrian Peterson, this is a deep running back class?"

Also, guys like Glenn and Osemele (both guys I do like) are both projections at this point having played OT in college. DeCastro is a proven prospect at the position.

JBS

Reaction score
Simatolu can easily be a day 1 starter.. And Jeff Allen is also a possibility

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4406241 said:
Simatolu can easily be a day 1 starter.. And Jeff Allen is also a possibility

Did you mean Amini Silatolu?

And you're really confident Silatolu who played left tackle at Midwestern State is ready to step into the NFL and start at a new position....day 1?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tm1119;4406222 said:

The CB class is always deep. A dime gets you a dozen.

JBS

Reaction score
realtick;4406251 said:
Did you mean Amini Silatolu?

And you're really confident Silatolu who played left tackle at Midwestern State is ready to step into the NFL and start at a new position....day 1?

Yes, I did mean Silatolu..stupid iPhone, lol..
And yes, I think so..many places have him lasted as a top 4-5 guard in this class..

Also forgot about Brandon Brooks..this class is super deep

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Give me the t. smith of OG this draft and plug them together for the next 10 years and we all will be pleased with the results.

garyv

Reaction score
DeCastro in the 1st Round

Minnifield in the 2nd Round

and trade up from the 3rd Round and there
will be some sliders there hopefully Vinny Curry
is one !!!

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reason's why DeCastro over Brockers...

1. DeCastro is clearly the best guard in this draft. Brockers may not be the best 3-4 DE prospect.

2. DeCastro's body of work throughout his college career is much more impressive than Brockers.

3. Arkin, Nagy, Kowalski– the other guard options on the team. Coleman, Spears, Hatcher, Lissmore– the other DE options. Which group is worse?

4. Jay Ratliff played the most snaps on the DL–750. A starting guard will get 1,000 snaps or more.

The one thing in Brocker's favor is that he could have a bigger high-side to his game.

The emphasis should be on "could". He could also end up being another Marcus Spears, which is OK, but not a good option if you've given up DeCastro.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
garyv;4406277 said:
DeCastro in the 1st Round

Minnifield in the 2nd Round

and trade up from the 3rd Round and there
will be some sliders there hopefully Vinny Curry
is one !!!

Like the way you're thinking, but I would much rather go:

DeCastro - 1st round
Curry - 2nd round
Boykin - 3rd round

JBS

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4406282 said:
Reason's why DeCastro over Brockers...

1. DeCastro is clearly the best guard in this draft. Brockers may not be the best 3-4 DE prospect.

2. DeCastro's body of work throughout his college career is much more impressive than Brockers.

3. Arkin, Nagy, Kowalski– the other guard options on the team. Coleman, Spears, Hatcher, Lissmore– the other DE options. Which group is worse?

4. Jay Ratliff played the most snaps on the DL–750. A starting guard will get 1,000 snaps or more.

The one thing in Brocker's favor is that he could have a bigger high-side to his game.

The emphasis should be on "could". He could also end up being another Marcus Spears, which is OK, but not a good option if you've given up DeCastro.

I'm going to argue that our guards are jut as good.. Not better, but just as good as our DEs..we probably have more depth at DE, but it's a bunch of depth that is full of mediocre play. Our ends flat at do not do enough in regards to collapsing the pocket..like literally, nothing..I will call the needs a wash, the DEs get the premium pick bc this class of guards is so strong..w that said, that's only if Brockers is available. Im not suggesting we reach for a diff DE just bc. I believe Brockers is definitely worthy of our 14th pick

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
DeCastro at 14 isn't dumb or stupid unless we spend big FA bucks on a OG like nicks... than... it would not seem to me a wise decision as you would be using your limited resources just on one position... a position by the way they addressed last draft in Arkin...knowing full well he would have to be red shirted atleast a year

I am not real thrilled with the talent available in this draft especially if an OG can receive such a high rating (top 15).

JBS

Reaction score
And when I say just as good, I really mean just as bad..because both groups stink!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I think if DeCastro is there at 14 it is dumb to pass on him.

robert70x7

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4406255 said:
Yes, I did mean Silatolu..stupid iPhone, lol..
And yes, I think so..many places have him lasted as a top 4-5 guard in this class..

Also forgot about Brandon Brooks..this class is super deep

The LSC prouces good skill players, not lineman. He's not strong enough and is probably a mere step above Arkin. We already have our small school offensive lineman, and he was inactive for every single game. There are plenty of big school prospects that are battle tested worth taking ahead of him.

By the way, DeCastro at 14 is not stupid. He's the next Steve Hutchinson.

robert70x7

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4406292 said:
I'm going to argue that our guards are jut as good.. Not better, but just as good as our DEs..we probably have more depth at DE, but it's a bunch of depth that is full of mediocre play. Our ends flat at do not do enough in regards to collapsing the pocket..like literally, nothing..I will call the needs a wash, the DEs get the premium pick bc this class of guards is so strong..w that said, that's only if Brockers is available. Im not suggesting we reach for a diff DE just bc. I believe Brockers is definitely worthy of our 14th pick

Hatcher did a decent job, and Lissemore will get more playing time this year. Look, I completely agree that we need more explosive front 3, but Brockers sounds like a Spears clone to me.