DeCastro at 14 is stupid

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
robert70x7;4406309 said:
Hatcher did a decent job, and Lissemore will get more playing time this year. Look, I completely agree that we need more explosive front 3, but Brockers sounds like a Spears clone to me.

I agree.

I think Hatcher played really well all things considered (injury/type of injury). I also believe we have a real player in Lissemore and he'll continue to show more with an increased role.

Coleman is toast.

Spears is what he is.

I think Spears has always been miscast as a 34 DE, he may have gotten pub being a TE when he first enrolled at LSU, but he simply isn't that athletic or sudden to be a force at DE. He likely would have been a much better (relatively speaking) 43 DT.

Conversely, I think Brockers will make a much more disruptive 34 DE than he is at DT right now.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
It's so stupid it just might work, I'm all in on DeCastro. You have us waiting till the 3rd to take Osemele, what if He is gone. Then what?

burmafrd

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4406299 said:
And when I say just as good, I really mean just as bad..because both groups stink!

I did not notice our D line getting splattered like our guards and center was this season. so to claim they are the same quality means you truly have no knowledge of football.

A chance to get a possibly pro bowl guard is only stupid for those that know nothing about football

JBS

Reaction score
burmafrd;4406340 said:
I did not notice our D line getting splattered like our guards and center was this season. so to claim they are the same quality means you truly have no knowledge of football.

A chance to get a possibly pro bowl guard is only stupid for those that know nothing about football

Seems like everyone else noticed our DL sucking. I wouldn't expect anything else from you..

JBS

Reaction score
TheCount;4406339 said:
It's so stupid it just might work, I'm all in on DeCastro. You have us waiting till the 3rd to take Osemele, what if He is gone. Then what?

I listed like 7 quality guards..there's no way 7 guards will be gone by our 3 rd rd pick. Plus, there are PLENTY of options in FA to fill 1 OG hole. I'm ok w starting Holland, Kowalski, or Arkin at the other spot. Center is a bigger need

robert70x7

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4406359 said:
I listed like 7 quality guards..there's no way 7 guards will be gone by our 3 rd rd pick. Plus, there are PLENTY of options in FA to fill 1 OG hole. I'm ok w starting Holland, Kowalski, or Arkin at the other spot. Center is a bigger need

1. DeCastro
  2. Glenn
  3. Washington
  4. Osemele
  5. Zeitler
  6. Silatolu
  7. Kelemete
  8. Brooks
You're right, 7 won't be gone.

Eight will!

JBS

Reaction score
robert70x7;4406363 said:
  1. DeCastro
  2. Glenn
  3. Washington
  4. Osemele
  5. Zeitler
  6. Silatolu
  7. Kelemete
  8. Brooks
You're right, 7 won't be gone.

Eight will!

You want to bet all 8 of those guards won't be gone by our pick in the 3rd?

cbow44

Reaction score
If DeCastro is truly the best guard prospect to come along since Steve Hutchinson. A potential hall of fame player then he is hands down the choice. The problem I have, I havent seen that written by anyone other than the posters on here.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
0jh93
;2LNB"b"bza"b$b
GloryDaysRBack;4406368 said:

But what are you suggesting though Glory, that the team is better off just taking whatever OG happens to be left over in the 3rd round?

That's just not a smart approach to drafting IMO.

Also, you're also assuming every single one of those guards will turn out to be players, which I would be willing to bet won't be the case. So when you factor in the odds that some of those OGs will likely not ever become good players, plus the fact you'll be sifting through the remaining talent at the position that the rest of the league has gone through a few times, the chances of landing a player of landing a good player in the 3rd round diminishes.

I don't want this team to simply add another project/prospect OG to the depth chart. We already have a glut of those in Arkin, Nagy and Kowalski.

JBS

Reaction score
realtick;4406373 said:
0jh93
;2LNB"b"bza"b$b

But what are you suggesting though Glory, that the team is better off just taking whatever OG happens to be left over in the 3rd round?

That's just not a smart approach to drafting IMO.

Also, you're also assuming every single one of those guards will turn out to be players, which I would be willing to bet won't be the case. So when you factor in the odds that some of those OGs will likely not ever become good players, plus the fact you'll be sifting through the remaining talent at the position that the rest of the league has gone through a few times, the chances of landing a player of landing a good player in the 3rd round diminishes.

I don't want this team to simply add another project/prospect OG to the depth chart. We already have a glut of those in Arkin, Nagy and Kowalski.

I'm not suggesting this at all..was just telling the previous poster he was wrong.
I'd be fine w taking a guard in round two. What I am saying is that there are plenty of guards to choose from. We have numerous holes to fill, I'd rather fill as many holes as possible.

RS12

Reaction score
I'd rather have a pro bowler in the 1st round at any position than a JAG in the 3rd. Alot of people here dont understand what DeCastro would bring to the offense. Besides keeping Romo upright and giving him a place to step up into (something he hasnt experienced), DeCastro other strength is getting to the second level and opening up the run and screen, just like Tyron Smith did. Stanford was of the best running teams in the country and DeCastro was a big reason why.

JBS

Reaction score
The point is that DeCastro isn't the only guard in this class that is going to be a hell of a player. It's not like DeCastro is a lock for the HOF and everyone else is going to be a JAG

robert70x7

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4406368 said:

My post was mildly sarcastic. This is one of the strongest guard classes in recent years. But just because it's strong, doesn't mean we have to wait. I would bet that at least 6 will be gone before our pick at 85, and I only see 4 of those guys on that list being a starter next year, and only 1 with all-pro ability.

RS12

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4406386 said:
The point is that DeCastro isn't the only guard in this class that is going to be a hell of a player. It's not like DeCastro is a lock for the HOF and everyone else is going to be a JAG

He is a lock not to bust IMO. Only other lineman I feel that way about in the draft is Kalil.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RS12;4406391 said:
He is a lock not to bust IMO. Only other lineman I feel that way about in the draft is Kalil.

That's the one right there.

Brockers "bust potential" is much larger that DeCastro's IMO... Much larger.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4406232 said:
I agree that the CB class is also incredibly deep. If possible I would rather wait til round 2 to select a CB..see my mock above. However, CB is a much more important position than guard...because of this, CBs come off the board at a much higher rate than guards

I think the most important areas are the OL and DL. You win at the line of scrimmage. I can understand your thinking here, but value can be judged differently. If Romo gets knocked out because of lack of good protection from the guards, well, then I'd say guard is pretty valuable. Of course, good CB play vital, but unless you're Revis, you can't cover when the QB has all day.

So, I agree with your thoughts on Brockers. And I agree this is a deep guard class. But if the Cowboys love DeCastro the way they loved Smith last year, and they have him rated far above the other guards, and higher than anyone else on their board, then take him.

JBS

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4406396 said:
That's the one right there.

Brockers "bust potential" is much larger that DeCastro's IMO... Much larger.

Can't argue here..I love Decastro, don't get me wrong. I just think the way our team is set up and the way the draft is set up, there's a good chance he shouldn't be our pick...but that's just my opinion.

RS12

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4406401 said:
Can't argue here..I love Decastro, don't get me wrong. I just think the way our team is set up and the way the draft is set up, there's a good chance he shouldn't be our pick...but that's just my opinion.

Too me it is getting a player I feel sure is going to work out with this high of a pick at any position. In this case DeCastro is that guy. The fact that he fits a position of need is icing on the cake.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
DeCastro is overrated. I think he'll be a good player in the NFL but he's not gonna have a much bigger impact on his team then guys like Glenn, Osemele, Zeitler, Washington, etc who can be had in the 2nd/3rd, and definitely not a big enough difference that warrants taking him at 14.

JBS

Reaction score
TheFinisher;4406408 said:
DeCastro is overrated. I think he'll be a good player in the NFL but he's not gonna have a much bigger impact on his team then guys like Glenn, Osemele, Zeitler, Washington, etc who can be had in the 2nd/3rd, and definitely not a big enough difference that warrants taking him at 14.

Exactly my point...who are your top 3 choices for our 1st rounder as of now?