DeCastro at 14 is stupid

TheFinisher

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4406411 said:
Exactly my point...who are your top 3 choices for our 1st rounder as of now?

A)Brockers
B)Kirkpatrick/Jenkins- Need to see more of them before I take a side, combine should be telling.
C)Whitney- I'm higher on him than most, I see big time upside and think he'll be the top pass rusher to come out of this class.

And don't forget, there's always the possibility of a trade down. If Brockers is gone I'd probably be working the phones, but if I can't strike a favorable deal I'd have no problem staying put and selecting one of the other guys.

JBS

Reaction score
TheFinisher;4406417 said:
A)Brockers
B)Kirkpatrick/Jenkins- Need to see more of them before I take a side, combine should be telling.
C)Whitney- I'm higher on him than most, I see big time upside and think he'll be the top pass rusher to come out of this class.

And don't forget, there's always the possibility of a trade down. If Brockers is gone I'd probably be working the phones, but if I can't strike a favorable deal I'd have no problem staying put and selecting one of the other guys.

If you think that highly of Whitney Marcilus, why not have him as your #1 choice?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a sure thing. I have seen may players touted as the next "insert HOF player here" and they don't live up to that billing. Everybody on this board seems to think that DeCastro is the best Guard prospect in who knows how long? All this before any combine and or testing. What does everybody really know about any of the other Guards coming out? How do you really say that this guy is so much better then the next guy?

All I know is that I'm highly skeptical that the Cowboys are going to take a Guard at 14.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4406421 said:
If you think that highly of Whitney, why not have him as your #1 choice?

Because I also think very highly of Brockers lol, I actually struggle to find flaws with his game. I see him as a homerun type of pick.

Whitney has a little more boom/bust to him, I'm pretty convinced he can successfully make the switch to 34 OLB but I'd like to see him in the combine drills before I go all in.

burmafrd

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4406424 said:
There is no such thing as a sure thing. I have seen may players touted as the next "insert HOF player here" and they don't live up to that billing. Everybody on this board seems to think that DeCastro is the best Guard prospect in who knows how long? All this before any combine and or testing. What does everybody really know about any of the other Guards coming out? How do you really say that this guy is so much better then the next guy?

All I know is that I'm highly skeptical that the Cowboys are going to take a Guard at 14.

he has by far fewer question marks then anyone else likely to be there. He fits a position of great need. Not sure why anyone really does not get that?

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Hostile;4406300 said:
I think if DeCastro is there at 14 it is dumb to pass on him.

Hos, if it's true that the Cowboys are more concerned on upgrading the center position in free agency, isn't it pretty much a given that DeCastro will be the target?

Tyron Smith-David DeCastro-Samson Satale-Arkin/Nagy-Doug Free

JBS

Reaction score
TheSport78;4406528 said:
Hos, if it's true that the Cowboys are more concerned on upgrading the center position in free agency, isn't it pretty much a given that DeCastro will be the target?

Tyron Smith-David DeCastro-Samson Satale-Arkin/Nagy-Doug Free

where did you hear this?

JerryFan

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4406241 said:
Simatolu can easily be a day 1 starter.. And Jeff Allen is also a possibility

Jeff Allen from Illinois? he isn't a guard. he's a decent T prospect

JBS

Reaction score
JerryFan;4406538 said:
Jeff Allen from Illinois? he isn't a guard. he's a decent T prospect

hes a T/G...many think hes better suited inside..plethora of these types in this draft

JerryFan

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4406540 said:
hes a T/G...many think hes better suited inside..plethora of these types in this draft

he's a T and will play T in the NFL and be a solid one at that IMO.

JBS

Reaction score
JerryFan;4406544 said:
he's a T and will play T in the NFL and be a solid one at that IMO.

only takes 1 team to change all that...if 1 team drafts him to play guard, thats where he will play

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4406536 said:
where did you hear this?

Spagnola hinted at it a couple times and he basically relays information from Jerry.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
TheFinisher;4406417 said:
A)Brockers

Lol, wait, you're skeptical of DeCastro, or don't see how much better he is than the rest of the OG class, despite the fact he's played OG for three years at Stanford and has been highly touted for awhile (while the other OG prospects are made up mainly of college offensive tackles projected to make the move inside), and yet you think Mike Brockers, a sophomore, whom you likely never even heard of before Wes Bunting jumped on his wagon, is a "homerun?" The same Brockers who doesn't even have the gaudy statline to trump up?

I actually like Brockers, but to act like he's a sure thing moreso than a guy like DeCastro is silly.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cbow44;4406371 said:
If DeCastro is truly the best guard prospect to come along since Steve Hutchinson. A potential hall of fame player then he is hands down the choice. The problem I have, I havent seen that written by anyone other than the posters on here.

Do yourself a favor and google both names. You'll be surprised.

cbow44

Reaction score
stasheroo;4406599 said:
Do yourself a favor and google both names. You'll be surprised.

So what your are telling me, you couldnt find any either. I already knew that. He is Highly regarded but not any more than the Pouncy twins. The only place he is being more highly regarded is here.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Decastro is my pick over the cb in this draft at pick 14. You have LSU cornerback claiborne expected to be taken by 14. So your left with DeCastro vs Alabama cornerback Kirkpatrick. DeCastro is considered a better player and a safer pick. Considering he went to Stanford does not hurt considering a lot of the dumb players we have on the team. Also, he has potential to play more snaps and protects the most important position in any football team (QB). Kirkpatrick got caught with friends with marijuana a few months before the draft, which is ban from the NFL. Anyone who gets himself into that situation has to be questioned on what he was thinking. I would rather wait until round 2 for a cb since there is not one at 14 worth picking. So my pick is easily DeCastro.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
realtick;4406582 said:
Lol, wait, you're skeptical of DeCastro, or don't see how much better he is than the rest of the OG class, despite the fact he's played OG for three years at Stanford and has been highly touted for awhile (while the other OG prospects are made up mainly of college offensive tackles projected to make the move inside), and yet you think Mike Brockers, a sophomore, whom you likely never even heard of before Wes Bunting jumped on his wagon, is a "homerun?" The same Brockers who doesn't even have the gaudy statline to trump up?

I actually like Brockers, but to act like he's a sure thing moreso than a guy like DeCastro is silly.

Since when is being more of a sure thing the only criteria that matters? I'll roll the dice on a defensive lineman with the upside of Brockers over a Guard every day of the week. I never said I was skeptical of DeCastro, I actually said I think he'll be a good pro, but how much impact do you really think a Guard has on the game? Larry Allen in his prime wouldn't have been enough to get us over the hump this season. It's all about positional value, you can find quality Guard play throughout the draft or in FA for bargain prices. Spending the 14th pick in the draft on a Guard would be insane, especially with how poor our defense is.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Walker;4406732 said:
Decastro is my pick over the cb in this draft at pick 14. You have LSU cornerback claiborne expected to be taken by 14. So your left with DeCastro vs Alabama cornerback Kirkpatrick. DeCastro is considered a better player and a safer pick. Considering he went to Stanford does not hurt considering a lot of the dumb players we have on the team. Also, he has potential to play more snaps and protects the most important position in any football team (QB). Kirkpatrick got caught with friends with marijuana a few months before the draft, which is ban from the NFL. Anyone who gets himself into that situation has to be questioned on what he was thinking. I would rather wait until round 2 for a cb since there is not one at 14 worth picking. So my pick is easily DeCastro.

I cant argue with anything here at all.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
DeCastro is worth the 14th pick, but he isn't the only guard in this class worth that pick, either.

Cordy Glenn is the best OG prospect to come out of the SEC since Shawn Andrews and Ben Grubbs. The Eagles jumped Dallas for Shawn Andrews, and Andrews became an All-Pro guard. The Ravens took Ben Grubbs in round number 1, and they are considered one of the best teams in the NFL. Grubbs is a Pro Bowl caliber guard.

Just getting Kelechi Osemele to pick 45 could be pretty tricky if Glenn goes off the board in the top 20. I've seen Glenn given to San Diego, Tennessee, and Pittsburgh (in round 1). The Chargers and Titans pick in the top 20, and the Steelers pick at 23. Bunting gives Glenn a first round grade.