DeCastro at 14 is stupid

jnday

Reaction score
Oh_Canada;4413402 said:
If the Boys can truly address dline and olb (Mario Williams or Ahmad Brooks) through FA I am more than good with DeCastro. Otherwise guard is NOT the right choice, not when you would have your pick of about three guards who could be day one starters in the second round. No way can the Boys neglect those two positions again this offseason especially if they let Spencer go.

Considering that DL and OLB are considered very weak areas of this draft , are you wanting to see a reach at 14 just to fill a need . I want an elite pass rusher as much as anyone . This draft just doesn't have that elite prospect .

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
jnday;4413408 said:
The point that I would like to make is that this year's draft has two areas of strength and depth , OG and CB . These are both positions of need . Why not use this draft to fill those positions ? Considering the number of holes on this team , one year is not going to fill all the needs . Next year , the strengths may be DL and OLB . If so , that should be the positions that are drafted . I hope we don't trade back and try to get cute . It is better to take an elite prospect than try to outsmart ourselves .

that is precisely why if a good rated OLB/DE is sitting there at 14 you take it because you can address OG and CB later because the draft is deep in those areas now if their is only Bums left for OLB/DE at 14 than you still have to draft your board.

jnday

Reaction score
Zaxor;4413520 said:
that is precisely why if a good rated OLB/DE is sitting there at 14 you take it because you can address OG and CB later because the draft is deep in those areas now if their is only Bums left for OLB/DE at 14 than you still have to draft your board.

That is the point . There is just not a DE/OLB that would be an improvement over Spencer or either the DL prospects are overvalued this year and teams will reach to get a player that would be rated much lower in another draft . I just don't want Dallas to be the team that reaches for a overvalued prospect . That is just the way this draft is unfolding . I like Coples , but he has a big question about his motor .

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
jnday;4413541 said:
That is the point . There is just not a DE/OLB that would be an improvement over Spencer or either the DL prospects are overvalued this year and teams will reach to get a player that would be rated much lower in another draft . I just don't want Dallas to be the team that reaches for a overvalued prospect . That is just the way this draft is unfolding . I like Coples , but he has a big question about his motor .

I hear ya man but if they don't sign spencer who do ya have playing there?

jnday

Reaction score
Zaxor;4413548 said:
I hear ya man but if they don't sign spencer who do ya have playing there?

I would let Butler start and draft one of the prospects in the second to start learning the position . There is no need to reach at 14 and draft a prospect that is a late first/early second talent . I don't like it , but that is the way the talent falls in ths draft .

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jnday;4413631 said:
I would let Butler start and draft one of the prospects in the second to start learning the position . There is no need to reach at 14 and draft a prospect that is a late first/early second talent . I don't like it , but that is the way the talent falls in ths draft .

I agree with you.

My first thought was Ahmad Brooks, but then you really never get to find out if Butler can ever be the guy.

I'm thinking that we should give Butler his shot and then draft another option later - like McClellin in the 3rd or 4th round.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
jnday;4413631 said:

stasheroo;4413654 said:
I agree with you.

My first thought was Ahmad Brooks, but then you really never get to find out if Butler can ever be the guy.

I'm thinking that we should give Butler his shot and then draft another option later - like McClellin in the 3rd or 4th round.

I agree about it being a weak class but it really depends upon the grade our scouts give them as to whether I would or not..if Coples grades out to an 8 and DeCastro a 8.5 like I have seen and both are there I take Coples and get a guard later

burmafrd

Reaction score
Zaxor;4413663 said:
I agree about it being a weak class but it really depends upon the grade our scouts give them as to whether I would or not..if Coples grades out to an 8 and DeCastro a 8.5 like I have seen and both are there I take Coples and get a guard later

frankly coples sounds like he was making 'business decisions' last year. NYET.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zaxor;4413663 said:

I'm not crazy about drafting a guy with a questionable motor with my first round pick.

If the choice is between those two, give me DeCastro.

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
This particular thread has amzing staying power. I personaly don't think any pick that improves your team is "dumb", but I would agree that getting the best value should be a priority.

I like the idea of beefing up both D and O Lines, but perhaps the best value is at CB in round one or two. Some of these smaller CB's appear to have speed and jumping ability that would allow them to be effective against some of these larger WR's, but let's not forget that we need talent and spped to cover the likes of D. Jackson.

The opinions on pass rushers and 5 Tech DE's appear to be quite mixed, so I'm hoping for more info. I don't know if the Combine will tell us what we need to know, but I'm hoping it clears some of the picture for us.

David DeCastro appers to be a very valued prospect at this point, and the debate will rge on until draft day. If the Cowboys take him at 14, I won't be upset, but if they get an upgrade in the defensive backfield, I won't be upset with that , either.

Let's focus on being able to beat our Division and maybe we can beat everybody else as well.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;4413670 said:

I'm not sure of the position he would actually play for the Cowboys. He's seems to lean to be a 3-4 DE. The CBS draft write-up indicates he's not stout against the run.

He sounds like he's more of a 4-3 DT.

Pass.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
burmafrd;4413670 said:

stasheroo;4413682 said:
I'm not crazy about drafting a guy with a questionable motor with my first round pick.

If the choice is between those two, give me DeCastro.

I can't answer that...I have no idea if he was fighting through injury, if it was him or some thing in between... that is the scouts job to determine but like I said if they rate him high than I would take him.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Phrozen Phil;4413691 said:
This particular thread has amzing staying power. I personaly don't think any pick that improves your team is "dumb", but I would agree that getting the best value should be a priority.

I like the idea of beefing up both D and O Lines, but perhaps the best value is at CB in round one or two. Some of these smaller CB's appear to have speed and jumping ability that would allow them to be effective against some of these larger WR's, but let's not forget that we need talent and spped to cover the likes of D. Jackson.

The opinions on pass rushers and 5 Tech DE's appear to be quite mixed, so I'm hoping for more info. I don't know if the Combine will tell us what we need to know, but I'm hoping it clears some of the picture for us.

David DeCastro appers to be a very valued prospect at this point, and the debate will rge on until draft day. If the Cowboys take him at 14, I won't be upset, but if they get an upgrade in the defensive backfield, I won't be upset with that , either.

Let's focus on being able to beat our Division and maybe we can beat everybody else as well.

no question we have to get a CB or 2 or even 3 somewhere somehow

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4413695 said:
I'm not sure of the position he would actually play for the Cowboys. He's seems to lean to be a 3-4 DE. The CBS draft write-up indicates he's not stout against the run.

He sounds like he's more of a 4-3 DT.

Pass.

also a huge consideration I think more will be answered at the combine

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zaxor;4413703 said:
also a huge consideration I think more will be answered at the combine

I just don't see a guy in the first 15 picks who would make a good 3-4 DE. They're either too small, or too light or like the kid from Penn State, questionable production for the physical skills.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Phrozen Phil;4413691 said:

I agree with you and not just to contend with team in our own division and while we do have other areas to address the fact that NY, Philly and Wash sacked Tony 18 times combined not to mention putting big pressure on him. Dallas has had a habit of putting the OL on the back burner and those 3 teams are not going to stop putting pressure on our QB we better be able to do a better job of handling it

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
stasheroo;4413654 said:
I agree with you.

Not to pick on your post, but I hate this term... "Find out if he can play". You might find out that he's another Alan Ball.

You shouldn't have to waste a year "finding out" if a player is any good -- your coaches should know by now whether he can do it or not.

If we're going to do this, why couldn't we "find out" if Arkin can play next year?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;4413731 said:
Not to pick on your post, but I hate this term... "Find out if he can play". You might find out that he's another Alan Ball.

You shouldn't have to waste a year "finding out" if a player is any good -- your coaches should know by now whether he can do it or not.

If we're going to do this, why couldn't we "find out" if Arkin can play next year?

I'm with you. You find out if they can play when they take the playing time away from the starter.

That said, we didn't find out of Austin could play until an injury situation. Same with Murray last year (though, in fairness to the coaches there, he missed time with an injury and was being worked in).

In Butler's case, with Spencer on the way out, you'd think the team would have made the time to evaluate him as a potential starter. Maybe they did, and I just didn't realize his snaps went up. But I think there's a high likelihood we do something significant at SOLB in the offseason. It's too important a position to leave up for grabs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;4413731 said:

No offense taken.

I think there are some players who don't get the opportunities to show what they can do as quickly as they should. In the case of Butler, I believe that he's entering the final year of his deal and a decision on him needs to be made. Is he a potential staarter opposite Ware or is he a career backup who will be leaving town next year?

I agree that the coaches should know by now and based on that, we'll see how they act in the draft and free agency.

I don't think Arkin is physically capable of playing at this point.

Reports I read indicated his strength and conditioning was so sub par that he needed to be 'rebuilt'.

I don't think that's the case with Butler, expecially going into his fourth year at this level.