DeCastro at 14 is stupid

CCBoy

Reaction score
Zaxor;4412285 said:
good question you have to tell me who is there at the pick than I can tell you what "I" would do.. but "I" isn't a real GM nor is "I's" lively hood on the line. So "I" might be more open to taken risks :)

:) :star:

jnday

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4412501 said:
If the Cowboys signed Nicks or Grubbs or Mathis, then I would be OK with by-passing DeCastro at #14.

Zaxor;4412567 said:
tell me first what a elite guard can do that a good guard can't

I am not asking in a disrespectfull manner , but are you aware that question can be asked of any position ? What could Larry Allen do that Bigg Davis couldn't ? If DeCastro was not an elite guard prospect , I wouldn't consider him at 14 . It just so happens that guard is a position of need . IMO , anytime that a position of need can be filled by an elite player , you make the pick . That logic should be used for any position .

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
jterrell;4412484 said:
What are you talking about?
What "experts" have him rated so highly???

He is generally rated the 10th to 15th best player in this draft. That is hardly super elite. We draft 14th which means for us he is at best a minimal value pick at a position with moderate at best value.

There are draft sites all over that have him ranked very highly. Wes Bunting at the National Football Post has him ranked 3rd overall in this draft and one of only 4 prospects with an 8.5 or higher grade. He only has one guy graded higher period (Luck, 9.0) and the only other guy that ranks above DeCastro is Claiborne (with the exact same 8.5 grade).

There are plenty of other people that think he is a very highly rated prospect, just check some draft sites.

I realize these guys aren't professional scouts, that's why I put quotes around the word experts.

jterrell;4412484 said:
Until we get to the combine the rankings are just darts tossed at walls.

And water is wet. Of course we have to wait, that's why I said IF the Cowboy scouts ranked him as highly as everyone else seems to be.

jterrell;4412484 said:
If Kalil, Coples or Claiborne drops to us should we still draft DeCastro?

You should read what a guy writes before you respond to him.

AsthmaField;4411764 said:
Do the Cowboys have a choice of Claiborne or DeCastro at #14? Because if they did, I would be saying take the corner and get a guard later... much like you are.

But no way Clairborne is around at even pick #6.

Look, I'm not locked in on DeCastro, but if he's by far the highest rated player on the Cowboys board - which he has a good shot at being - then I'd want us to take him.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
jterrell;4412484 said:
What are you talking about?
What "experts" have him rated so highly???

He is generally rated the 10th to 15th best player in this draft. That is hardly super elite.

Ohhhhhh, so now we're moving the goalposts. Now it's not enough to be "elite," you have to be "super elite."

Ranked #3 overall: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_big_board_rankings.html

Ranked #7 overall: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...e-scouting-process-leading-to-combine-in-indy

Ranked #10 overall: http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/rankings/

Bucky Brooks has him #11: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0900...oins-luck-atop-first-2012-nfl-draft-big-board

Ranked #13 overall: http://www.drafttek.com/

We draft 14th which means for us he is at best a minimal value pick at a position with moderate at best value.

That makes absolutely no coherent sense to a rational mind.

CCBoy

Reaction score
realtick;4412641 said:
Ohhhhhh, so now we're moving the goalposts. Now it's not enough to be "elite," you have to be "super elite."

Ranked #3 overall: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_big_board_rankings.html

Ranked #7 overall: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...e-scouting-process-leading-to-combine-in-indy

Bucky Brooks has him #11: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0900...oins-luck-atop-first-2012-nfl-draft-big-board

Lol, a definite first round talent grouper. And a projected immediate starter.

And as always, you provide a wealth of informative information with your view. Thanks as is usual...:star:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
realtick;4412641 said:

I thought it was just me.

Nice research work by the way.

:bow:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Zaxor;4411758 said:
can you please tell me what the differance to the Count would be between a good guard an a elite guard...now please don't just spout off an example like LA was elite and Nate was good I want to know what it is in your mind that makes a guard elite rather than good and than I can answer your question.

I think you are well aware of what the difference is between a good player and an elite one, at any position.

burmafrd

Reaction score
TheCount;4412681 said:
I think you are well aware of what the difference is between a good player and an elite one, at any position.

sounds like he does not know the difference between a JAG and a good starter either.

CCBoy

Reaction score
burmafrd;4412741 said:
sounds like he does not know the difference between a JAG and a good starter either.

Oh, for sure...there's nothing like a walk in the woods to show a man what's important...:cool:

Facing a turkey, eye to eye, and just couldn't pull the trigger...until the bear came along.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
jnday;4412634 said:
I am not asking in a disrespectfull manner , but are you aware that question can be asked of any position ? What could Larry Allen do that Bigg Davis couldn't ? If DeCastro was not an elite guard prospect , I wouldn't consider him at 14 . It just so happens that guard is a position of need . IMO , anytime that a position of need can be filled by an elite player , you make the pick . That logic should be used for any position .

I understand what you are saying but the Cowboys have many needs not just a single need in what is turning out to be a pretty good guard draft... So is it better for the Cowboys to grab lets say a

A-\B+ DE and a B+\B OG or better to grab a A+\A OG and a B-\C+ DE thus the question what can a elite guard do that a good guard can't

CCBoy

Reaction score
Zaxor;4413271 said:
I understand what you are saying but the Cowboys have many needs not just a single need in what is turning out to be a pretty good guard draft... So is it better for the Cowboys to grab lets say a

A-\B+ DE and a B+\B OG or better to grab a A+\A OG and a B-\C+ DE thus the question what can a elite guard do that a good guard can't

I would adjust to top level MLB and stick with strength at OG/C...followed by a strong and developmental group at cornerback in the 3 and 4 round range.

This draft, in Cowboy specific needs, is strong at both cornerback and interior linemen. I would hit it's strength but start with a defineable starting upgrade for the Cowboys' own need.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
TheCount;4412681 said:

I think my dear count that we would all have somewhat similar thoughts on what might make one elite but having said that out of all the positions on the field which position (s) do you think would be the least impactful.

If <---the Cowboys could draft BPA than I might could get aboard that train that everyone seems to be riding but in good conscience I just can not...not when there are so many pressing needs in areas that historically have proven hard to fill league wide.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
CCBoy;4413280 said:
I would adjust to top level MLB and stick with strength at OG/C...followed by a strong and developmental group at cornerback in the 3 and 4 round range.

This draft, in Cowboy specific needs, is strong at both cornerback and interior linemen. I would hit it's strength but start with a defineable starting upgrade for the Cowboys' own need.

which is prudence at its finest and improving your team with each pick...

its not just the first pick that counts after all.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
stasheroo;4412659 said:
I thought it was just me.

Nice research work by the way.

:bow:

Can't see his remarks since he is ignored but I will respond to your back pat since it allowed me the info.

I didn't move any damn goalposts. The post I quoted stated he was the next Hutchinson. That is super elite. The guy is a very likely Hall of Famer.

That was the source of my response.

And I do see the ONE guy (who is barely 30 an has zero real experience outside takign a GM class) has him top 5. If he is TRULY top 5 on our board we'd have to take him at 14 for certain.

Just to be clear though. DeCastro is not anything near a consensus top 5 prospect in this draft. And thus my point remains. You do not grade an OG evenly with other positions. If he is an 11 overall and you pick 14th, that doesn't mean he is anywhere near the best real value. If a CB is also there and ranked 15th you draft the CB every time.

Holland and Dockery can start for you at OG at a 3 mil total cost for them both. Good luck finding a starting CB for under 5 mil. There is a very real positional value curve.

The best thing about these forums is it proves there are guys who would be worse GMs than Jerry Jones.

It is unfortunate the archives aren't around longer so you can see who really has credibility over time when discussing players.

CCBoy

Reaction score
jterrell;4413287 said:
Can't see his remarks since he is ignored but I will respond to your back pat since it allowed me the info.

I didn't move any damn goalposts. The post I quoted stated he was the next Hutchinson. That is super elite. The guy is a very likely Hall of Famer.

And I do see the ONE guy (who is barely 30 an has zero real experience outside takign a GM class) has him top 5. If he is TRULY top 5 on our board we'd have to take him at 14 for certain.

Just to be clear though. DeCastro is not anything near a consensus top 5 prospect in this draft. And thus my point remains. You do not grade an OG evenly with other positions. If he is an 11 overall and you pick 14th, that doesn't mean he is anywhere near the best real value. If a CB is also there and ranked 15th you draft the CB every time.

Holland and Dockery can start for you at OG at a 3 mil total cost for them both. Good luck finding a starting CB for under 5 mil. There is a very real positional value curve.

The best thing about these forums is it proves there are guys who would be worse GMs than Jerry Jones.

It is unfortunate the archives aren't around longer so you can see who really has credibility over time when discussing players.

Measureables are for sharing, not in achieving feedback for their observations.

Kumkwat crumble, with caramel sauce...whimsical with thrill of taste...how chick.

Hey, if one pursues a ta ta ta, and playful, hey, that's your palate. Add a little strawberry gamboge if wanted. But more definite?

But to use ignore due to one not liking French Cuisine is a tad self serving.
It still boils down to taste there. Even Spanish cuisine uses pop with spice.

So, in parceling out the above view, and discouting aspects of another's, as presented above, the discussion falls upon causes at view. Here, it still falls upon logical reliance upon elements of a Dockery, Holland, and even potential Kosier's return presence to overcome the deficiency in the drama filled need exhibited last season in it's offensive line's interior. The reliance upon youth, was at onset the fabric in distrust for that element's failure.

So a return to that very base, relying upon money concerns, and not coaching up talent and change, means to intensify the original problem as well. As those old elements, in Dockery, Holland, and Kosier...are getting as old as the higher priced pieces of Marc Colombo, Andre Gurode, and Leonard Davis released the previous season. But all their legs and mobility issues being at the center for change then. What, that same mobility and injury problem would suddenly disappear now, due to money fears?

Oh, how Pigsweet in production methods...

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
jterrell;4413287 said:

Just to be clear though. DeCastro is not anything near a consensus top 5 prospect in this draft.
And thus my point remains. You do not grade an OG evenly with other positions. If he is an 11
overall and you pick 14th, that
doesn't mean he is anywhere near the best real value. If a CB is also there
and ranked 15th you draft the CB every time.

Holland and Dockery can start for you at OG at a 3 mil total cost for them
both. Good luck finding a starting CB for under 5 mil. There is a very real
positional value curve.

The best thing about these forums is it proves there are guys who would be
worse GMs than Jerry Jones.

It is unfortunate the archives aren't around longer so you can see who really
has credibility over time when discussing players.

Lol, the goalposts have been moved again! Notice he's completely abandoned the claim that DeCastro is "rated from 10-15th best." Since that nonsense was exposed as bunk, he's now changed it to DeCastro "nowhere near a consensus Top 5 prospect."

New classification has been injected into the discussion: elite vs. super elite

This is hilarious.

BTW, love the ad hominem attack on Bunting. Why don't you judge him on his results, analysis and predictions instead of worrying about his age and the instructional courses he got from a former NFL GM, which btw, is much more education on the subject than you got.

You should also know that Bunting was up on Tyron Smith MONTHS before any of the main draft gurus were (Mayock, Kiper and McShay...). He also had Tyron as his highest rated OT.

It doesn't bother me one aota that you have me on ignore, just as long as other folks can read it and know that your silliness and clumsy logic are being checked, disputed and refuted thoroughly.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell;4413287 said:

Draft the cornerback to do what exactly? Jump right in and start over Scandrick or Jenkins? Do you envision that happening? Because I don't.

Whereas I can see DeCastro stepping in day one and being better than the 'Motley Crew' we're trying to cobble something out of on the offensive interior right now.

Holland and Dockery? So you're saying you liked what you saw in 2011 and want more of the same? I do not. You want to bring Holland back as an emergency option? No problem. But that's as far as that goes.

Agreed.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
If the Boys can truly address dline and olb (Mario Williams or Ahmad Brooks) through FA I am more than good with DeCastro. Otherwise guard is NOT the right choice, not when you would have your pick of about three guards who could be day one starters in the second round. No way can the Boys neglect those two positions again this offseason especially if they let Spencer go.

jnday

Reaction score
Zaxor;4413282 said:
I think my dear count that we would all have somewhat similar thoughts on what might make one elite but having said that out of all the positions on the field which position (s) do you think would be the least impactful.

If <---the Cowboys could draft BPA than I might could get aboard that train that everyone seems to be riding but in good conscience I just can not...not when there are so many pressing needs in areas that historically have proven hard to fill league wide.

The point that I would like to make is that this year's draft has two areas of strength and depth , OG and CB . These are both positions of need . Why not use this draft to fill those positions ? Considering the number of holes on this team , one year is not going to fill all the needs . Next year , the strengths may be DL and OLB . If so , that should be the positions that are drafted . I hope we don't trade back and try to get cute . It is better to take an elite prospect than try to outsmart ourselves .

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
jterrell;4413287 said:
If he [DeCastro] is TRULY top 5 on our board we'd have to take him at 14 for certain.

Then we are in agreement. And if he isn't the highest rated player on the board by a good bit, then look at pass rusher / CB instead.