DeCastro at 14 is stupid

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Arizona is the team that I most fear would grab DeCastro right before our pick.

Hypothetical question for the 'pro DeCastro' crowd - if you were really concerned about losing him, would you pay the price to trade up to #12?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
stasheroo;4412344 said:
Arizona is the team that I most fear would grab DeCastro right before our pick.

Hypothetical question for the 'pro DeCastro' crowd - if you were really concerned about losing him, would you pay the price to trade up to #12?

As much as I like him, no I would not move up.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4412353 said:
As much as I like him, no I would not move up.

I think it would depend on what happened going to pick 11. And of course what happened in FA and at the Combine. If we swung and missed for Nicks or Grubbs, then I would have to really think hard about trading up to make sure we get him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
burmafrd;4412359 said:
I think it would depend on what happened going to pick 11. And of course what happened in FA and at the Combine. If we swung and missed for Nicks or Grubbs, then I would have to really think hard about trading up to make sure we get him.

I just think because we have quite a few holes to deal with I would hate to give up the extra pick on anyone in this draft. Morris Claiborne would be the only exception at least for me.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;4412370 said:
I just think because we have quite a few holes to deal with I would hate to give up the extra pick on anyone in this draft. Morris Claiborne would be the only exception at least for me.

Does anyone have a draft chart handy to tell us what a move from 14-12 would cost?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
stasheroo;4412377 said:
Does anyone have a draft chart handy to tell us what a move from 14-12 would cost?

That has been outdated for a while and I'd think it would be even more so now that the rookie wage scale is in effect.

Just guessing, I would have to think a 3rd to move from 14 to 12.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
AsthmaField;4412382 said:
That has been outdated for a while and I'd think it would be even more so now that the rookie wage scale is in effect.

Just guessing, I would have to think a 3rd to move from 14 to 12.

I agree that is would likely take a 3rd rd pick to move up 2 spots. At this stage I would say the only player I would move up for should for some unknown reason he slides is Claiborne. I don't see that happening but strangers things have happened in the past

jnday

Reaction score
Zaxor;4412246 said:
like I stated above -->IF<-- I have to have a guard and a DE/OLB and I can only take the top spot once than have to pick again..My picks would be Coples 7.5 than Glenn 7.5

not Decastro 8.5 than Cox 6.9
there are lots of 6 point something DE/OLB out there not many 7 and above

So you had rather pass on an elite prospect that fits a need and a good prospect and draft two good prospects ?

jnday

Reaction score
CCBoy;4412252 said:
If DeCastro is that striking then, why wouldn't Arizona not take him the pick before Dallas? If they do, then what is the alternative, beyond the usual board response of stupid Jerry?

The Cards and the Chiefs are reported to really like DeCastro , so I'm sure that Dallas will have other prospects , in positions of need , that they would go with .

jnday

Reaction score
stasheroo;4412324 said:
You and Jerry Jones have more in common than you know.

;)

That seems to be the case . It kinda explains our current line problems .

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
AsthmaField;4411730 said:
If DeCastro is scouted by the Cowboys and grades as highly as all the "experts" have him graded, then he should be easily the highest rated player on our board.

If that's the case, then you take him... particularly if it is at a position that could use some strengthening.

I know he's a guard and that Spencer is a free agent and we need corners... but it would be lunacy to skip the next Hutchinson for the next Greg Ellis or Kareem Jackson.

What are you talking about?
What "experts" have him rated so highly???

He is generally rated the 10th to 15th best player in this draft. That is hardly super elite. We draft 14th which means for us he is at best a minimal value pick at a position with moderate at best value.

Until we get to the combine the rankings are just darts tossed at walls.

If Kalil, Coples or Claiborne drops to us should we still draft DeCastro?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the Cowboys signed Nicks or Grubbs or Mathis, then I would be OK with by-passing DeCastro at #14.

jnday

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4412501 said:
If the Cowboys signed Nicks or Grubbs or Mathis, then I would be OK with by-passing DeCastro at #14.

I could live with that as well . It would be a expensive FA option though and a lost opportunity to fix the line with a strong lineman class .

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
jnday;4412469 said:
So you had rather pass on an elite prospect that fits a need and a good prospect and draft two good prospects ?

tell me first what a elite guard can do that a good guard can't

burmafrd

Reaction score
jterrell;4412484 said:
What are you talking about?
What "experts" have him rated so highly???

He is generally rated the 10th to 15th best player in this draft. That is hardly super elite. We draft 14th which means for us he is at best a minimal value pick at a position with moderate at best value.

Until we get to the combine the rankings are just darts tossed at walls.

If Kalil, Coples or Claiborne drops to us should we still draft DeCastro?

the only reason Claiborne would drop that far is that someone found something really wrong. And if that was the case we would not want him either. Same with Kalil.

Frankly it is stupid to draft borderline difference makers like Coples or upshaw or Ingram when you could have the best player in the draft at one position of NEED.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Zaxor;4412567 said:
tell me first what a elite guard can do that a good guard can't

well how about taking on someone like Suh one on one.

I guess you just do not understand what kind of edge that gives an offense. But then that does not surprise me.

CCBoy

Reaction score
burmafrd;4412577 said:
well how about taking on someone like Suh one on one.

I guess you just do not understand what kind of edge that gives an offense. But then that does not surprise me.

Yea, but all in the draft is based upon going against collegiate talent. No one knew that Erik Williams would own Reggie White and was at best described as good coming in. And yea, 'The Preacher' had to say his prayers against Erik.