Defense extends no 100 yard game allowed streak

blueblood70

Reaction score

as much as I can appreciate stats and rankings,

I watched the games,

if a team wanted to run for 100 yards and get an individual player big yards, it would be easy against this defense the problem is a lot of these games our blowouts and they have to abandon the run...

so let's stay off that streak, its an illusion, they are not good at stopping the run and if teams were smart they would keep calling for their running backs and their mobile qbacks too be played against this defense just like Arizona did I think Carolina made a mistake putting their rookie quarterback standing up back there that often and the drive that they look the best in the two scoring drives they ran a lot and they kept running and we kept not stopping the run. If they wanted a 100 yard rusher and that was the goal that would be easy to do against this defense...

Hey, I'm not trying to be negative I'm just trying to be honest here.... We are not a good run stopping defense it just looks like that because we didn't give up 100 yard rusher but my eyes tell me we have the same problems in the center of our defense whether that's the line or the linebackers or the safeties that play linebacker who are too small to stop the run that's always been a problem with Dan Quinn's defenses...

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I watched the games,

if a team wanted to run for 100 yards and get an individual player big yards, it would be easy against this defense the problem is a lot of these games our blowouts and they have to abandon the run...

so let's stay off that streak, its an illusion, they are not good at stopping the run and if teams were smart they would keep calling for their running backs and their mobile qbacks too be played against this defense just like Arizona did I think Carolina made a mistake putting their rookie quarterback standing up back there that often and the drive that they look the best in the two scoring drives they ran a lot and they kept running and we kept not stopping the run. If they wanted a 100 yard rusher and that was the goal that would be easy to do against this defense...

Hey, I'm not trying to be negative I'm just trying to be honest here.... We are not a good run stopping defense it just looks like that because we didn't give up 100 yard rusher but my eyes tell me we have the same problems in the center of our defense whether that's the line or the linebackers or the safeties that play linebacker who are too small to stop the run that's always been a problem with Dan Quinn's defenses...
Yeah but still even if it is a blowout you would think even in garbage time a receiver would get over 100 yards. Pretty special stat it sure doesn't seem like they've never done it. Especially when you had AJ Brown on the schedule.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yeah but still even if it is a blowout you would think even in garbage time a receiver would get over 100 yards. Pretty special stat it sure doesn't seem like they've never done it. Especially when you had AJ Brown on the schedule.
umm i said a runner lol never did i mention that wr stat.. i get our strength is on the back end and on the edges of the pass rush but our weakness is up the middle and they're running back one at 100 yards and that was their intentions I bet he could have 150 easily on this defense it hasn't been fixed and again it's Dan Quinn's defenses are built too small at linebacker you got safeties playing linebackers and he doesn't put a lot of stock in having a great downhill linebacker so let's admit that that's a weakness I mean who knows whose issue it is is it in the middle of the line or the linebackers or the small safeties whatever it is we are not good at stopping the run...

John813

Reaction score
The 1 running back stat is kind of useless in todays game.

The WR stat is good to know, as teams still go heavy at times to their #1.

exciter

Reaction score
Eh, bit of sugar coating on this one. Hubbard and Sanders had 107 between them on 21 attempts. Thielen had 74 of their 123 passing!

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

I watched the games,

You're right about a lot of that but still Carolina passed the ball 29 times vs running 23 times on Sunday. Going into the 4th quarter it was a 17-10 game too so it's not like the entire 2nd half they were forced to put the ball in the air. This is what is the cool but dangerous part of the Cowboys defense is. Yeah they make themselves vulnerable against the run at times, but they play for the negative plays and when they get them teams are not able to run the football. 7 sacks and 6 TFL make it extremely difficult for teams to run the football even when they want to, which in my mind does bring some validity to the stat.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
umm i said a runner lol never did i mention that wr stat.. i get our strength is on the back end and on the edges of the pass rush but our weakness is up the middle and they're running back one at 100 yards and that was their intentions I bet he could have 150 easily on this defense it hasn't been fixed and again it's Dan Quinn's defenses are built too small at linebacker you got safeties playing linebackers and he doesn't put a lot of stock in having a great downhill linebacker so let's admit that that's a weakness I mean who knows whose issue it is is it in the middle of the line or the linebackers or the small safeties whatever it is we are not good at stopping the run...
I'm replying to the part where you said something about blowouts. I'm just saying in blowouts receiving yards typically go up.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Eh, bit of sugar coating on this one. Hubbard and Sanders had 107 between them on 21 attempts. Thielen had 74 of their 123 passing!
But the point being this defense only gave up 187 yards of total offense. Very difficult to have a 100 yard rusher/receiver when the defense gives up so little overall. They got gashed at times, but also took advantage of a ton of negative plays including 7 sacks, 6 TFL and a pick 2 turnovers.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
That's an impressive state no matter how you slice it. I don't care who we've played or what other teams are doing. The stat still exists.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Not enough size in the MLB position...our DL is allowing the OL to get to the second level and our little LBs are getting pushed around.
our DTs should be taking up the center and both guards. That's not happening.
DE's are also out of place a lot. Armstrong kept spinning toward the inside after taking on down blocks????? All he did was create a huge lane.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score

I watched the games,

I agree with you, BB...though I am still impressed with this stat (and I'm so not a stat guy). Hec, no receiver has exploded for 100+ yards against this team??? And no RB has broken off multiple long runs in any single game yet???

Maybe Quinn is better at making in-game adjustments than I give him credit for, maybe?

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I don't care at all about stats anymore and so this means nothing (in my book).

The Panthers had a pretty decent drive and were in the game until late 3rd quarter (and even handed out alot of presents to us in the process). Despite the 33-10 score it wasnt one of our greatest showings to be honest.

With that being said I absolutely love our defense and the guys that are on it. With their DC they form a great bunch of guys who COULD take us to #6. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say the SF game came too early and the Eagles game was pretty close they have to continue on that level and keep improving. With Bland now being a solid #1/2 CB and our run game getting exposed because we're always going after the QB (do they have to blitz every friggin snap lol) I like what I'm seeing.

It would be great if the offense could bail out the defense the next time we're in a shoot out and the D is having a bad day. This can't be a one way street.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Sure, an opponent could absolutely run all over Dallas if it wanted—just like Chicago last year. And it would lose by 20–just like Chicago last year. There’s no correlation between running well and winning. Modern defenses are looking to manage the run, not shut it down.

Having said that, I’m still disappointed by the Cowboys running game because it’s not helping get into more manageable down and distances.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
5.7 YPC right, its an illusion. lOL that a terrible day against a rb whom if they ran more would easily get 100. sanders 11-50 RBBC ran over us and around us all game.. so what's that for the game 5.1 YPC?

trust me this defense is not going to be mistaken for the 2000 Ravens or the 1987 bears 86 bears
Let them run. It doesn't matter if teams can run the ball if they can't throw.

It's not 2000 or 1987. Running for 5 ypc means absolutely nothing if you don't have a vertical passing game.

Run defense is a choice. Dallas - like every good defense - chooses to defend the pass, especially when they're playing with a lead.