Defense extends no 100 yard game allowed streak

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
if a team wanted to run for 100 yards and get an individual player big yards, it would be easy against this defense the problem is a lot of these games our blowouts and they have to abandon the run...
That's the thing, though. A team is not going to run just to get a player stats and that is why this holds up. The defense is good against the pass & keeps scoring low, so run attempts are naturally going to be limited. Trust if they opponent decided they wanted to run every play--yeah, they could likely get there man over 100, but what team would do that in reality?

kskboys

Reaction score
That's the thing, though. A team is not going to run just to get a player stats and that is why this holds up. The defense is good against the pass & keeps scoring low, so run attempts are naturally going to be limited. Trust if they opponent decided they wanted to run every play--yeah, they could likely get there man over 100, but what team would do that in reality?
ARI

erod

Reaction score
The 9ers haven't run the ball well against Dallas. In the playoffs their offense hasn't done anything and earlier this year the big plays were all in the passing game.
LOL, they ran for 170 yards earlier this year against us. Did you watch?

They have 452 yards rushing against Dallas in the last 3 games.

Good lawd.

blueblood70

Reaction score
We sacrifice some run-stopping to have the lighter, faster players for coverage and pass rush. So far it has been effective as we're relying on teams not being able to just run the ball all day and having to pass. Even when Carolina was moving the ball by running it, eventually they get into a situation where they have to pass and our defense can shine and shut them down.

Sadly, the teams that give us trouble (San Fran and Philly) both have effective running games and defenses that don't easily give up a lot of points, so they can stick with the running game against us and somewhat negate what our defense does best. It helps their passing game be more effective against us because we have to focus more on stopping the run.

I did notice a couple of plays against Carolina after they ran for a couple of chunks of yardage where we stuck both Mazi and Hankins out there for two downs to force them into a passing situation.
effective?? ie wheres their blame for the RS 3 loess?? squarely largely on those deficiency's which find way into the bigger games oh its a thing..LOL ..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Back in the day with the one running back system or when we play a team that will have that back that can carry it 30 times they can easily get 100 yards... The running back by committee and the wide receiver by committee IE spread the ball around offenses where they use short passes to mimic a run game we're doing it we're having problems getting 100 yards ourselves where's our 100 yard running back this is the nature of the NFL it makes this streak less impressive to me you can be impressed by it I'm not I see right through it it's a nature or I should say the climate of today's NFL..

What I look at is the yards per carry and if you think giving up 5.1 yards per carry is good then I'm sorry you're looking at the wrong thing we were gassed over and over until they were forced not to run anymore because of the score getting out of hand which is great but where is that stuff against the Eagles the 49ers and the Arizona Cardinals because the defense what's the main issue for those losses they did whatever they wanted in those games...

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DE's are also out of place a lot. Armstrong kept spinning toward the inside after taking on down blocks????? All he did was create a huge lane.
True dat!

It's what I keep saying to the coop haters. Too bad if you don't like his W/L record....nothing you can do about it it's there. :laugh:

exciter

Reaction score
But the point being this defense only gave up 187 yards of total offense. Very difficult to have a 100 yard rusher/receiver when the defense gives up so little overall. They got gashed at times, but also took advantage of a ton of negative plays including 7 sacks, 6 TFL and a pick 2 turnovers.
Kind of missed my point eh?

Gambit

Reaction score
I think one thing being ignored here is, we are the only team this season that can claim this stat. All the other stuff is just noise.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
LOL, they ran for 170 yards earlier this year against us. Did you watch?

They have 452 yards rushing against Dallas in the last 3 games.

Good lawd.
Total rushing yards doesn't matter, especially when you're playing with a big lead.

McCaffrey averaged less than 3 ypc in October.

People who think the Cowboy's run D is some significant problem have no grasp of how the modern NFL works.

Reactions: CWR

erod

Reaction score
Total rushing yards doesn't matter, especially when you're playing with a big lead.

McCaffrey averaged less than 3 ypc in October.

People who think the Cowboy's run D is some significant problem have no grasp of how the modern NFL works.
Oh my gawd. A decent quarterback beats us yesterday because of it.

Stop analyzing games against the 1-9 Panthers and Tommy DeVito.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Regardless of the opposition, Dallas has now given up fewer than 100 passing yards three times this season and have held six opponents to under 200.

In this era where the rules are built to favor offenses this is simply incredible.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Oh my gawd. A decent quarterback beats us yesterday because of it.

Stop analyzing games against the 1-9 Panthers and Tommy DeVito.
Yet if the Eagles post similar numbers against the same quality of opponents, the national media slobberfest over how good they are would require dozens of sponges to clean up.....

CWR

Reaction score
as much as I can appreciate stats and rankings,

I watched the games,

if a team wanted to run for 100 yards and get an individual player big yards, it would be easy against this defense the problem is a lot of these games our blowouts and they have to abandon the run...

so let's stay off that streak, its an illusion, they are not good at stopping the run and if teams were smart they would keep calling for their running backs and their mobile qbacks too be played against this defense just like Arizona did I think Carolina made a mistake putting their rookie quarterback standing up back there that often and the drive that they look the best in the two scoring drives they ran a lot and they kept running and we kept not stopping the run. If they wanted a 100 yard rusher and that was the goal that would be easy to do against this defense...

Hey, I'm not trying to be negative I'm just trying to be honest here.... We are not a good run stopping defense it just looks like that because we didn't give up 100 yard rusher but my eyes tell me we have the same problems in the center of our defense whether that's the line or the linebackers or the safeties that play linebacker who are too small to stop the run that's always been a problem with Dan Quinn's defenses...

At the same token they should have then been able to get a 100yd wr.

blueblood70

Reaction score
At the same token they should have then been able to get a 100yd wr.
Yeah I guess a team with a weaker pass rush we're actually really good at pass rushing if you haven't noticed especially against teams with bad offensive lines.,... No one was questioning that part of the stat line but really in the grand scheme of things if you look at guys they were just bragging last week about Sam Howell it's shocking that he's leading the league in yards from the quarterback position and I was the first one to keep bringing up the fact that they're always playing from behind and they're hardly ever up therefore that's why he's racking up yards it's not that impressive to be the leader in yards and most any category really I'd rather see touchdowns lack of turnovers when it comes to a quarterback and other factors like yards per attempt and that kind of thing he's overrated I mean he's solid he plays like Tony Romo sometimes you know bad Tony Romo with a little bit of good Tony Romo I mean the guy is reckless with the football a lot/..
Anyway yes normally when you're playing from behind you're going to rack up yardage in the passing game except if you have a pass rush like the Dallas Cowboys especially with the lead they'll put out seven pass rushers and just let it fly....

CWR

Reaction score
Yeah I guess a team with a weaker pass rush we're actually really good at pass rushing if you haven't noticed especially against teams with bad offensive lines.,... No one was questioning that part of the stat line but really in the grand scheme of things if you look at guys they were just bragging last week about Sam Howell it's shocking that he's leading the league in yards from the quarterback position and I was the first one to keep bringing up the fact that they're always playing from behind and they're hardly ever up therefore that's why he's racking up yards it's not that impressive to be the leader in yards and most any category really I'd rather see touchdowns lack of turnovers when it comes to a quarterback and other factors like yards per attempt and that kind of thing he's overrated I mean he's solid he plays like Tony Romo sometimes you know bad Tony Romo with a little bit of good Tony Romo I mean the guy is reckless with the football a lot/..
Anyway yes normally when you're playing from behind you're going to rack up yardage in the passing game except if you have a pass rush like the Dallas Cowboys especially with the lead they'll put out seven pass rushers and just let it fly....

Yeah I'm not overly impressed with our run defense, but the defense as a whole is really good. The run defense will be tested in the playoffs and cold weather. I think if they maintain assignment discipline their good enough to get it done, but not dominant by any means.

The pass defense is dominant because of the combination of a fierce pass rush and really good, ball hawking dbs.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Back in the day with the one running back system or when we play a team that will have that back that can carry it 30 times they can easily get 100 yards... The running back by committee and the wide receiver by committee IE spread the ball around offenses where they use short passes to mimic a run game we're doing it we're having problems getting 100 yards ourselves where's our 100 yard running back this is the nature of the NFL it makes this streak less impressive to me you can be impressed by it I'm not I see right through it it's a nature or I should say the climate of today's NFL..

What I look at is the yards per carry and if you think giving up 5.1 yards per carry is good then I'm sorry you're looking at the wrong thing we were gassed over and over until they were forced not to run anymore because of the score getting out of hand which is great but where is that stuff against the Eagles the 49ers and the Arizona Cardinals because the defense what's the main issue for those losses they did whatever they wanted in those games...
I understand your points which are valid, but it is still impressive to me by virtue of Dallas being the only team with this streak while everyone else is playing under the same "nature of the NFL".

blueblood70

Reaction score
I understand your points which are valid, but it is still impressive to me by virtue of Dallas being the only team with this streak while everyone else is playing under the same "nature of the NFL".
Look I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade and being negative I'm being realistic where was this defense against Philadelphia ,Arizona, and big loss in with the 49ers?? So much is talked about about the quarterback not stepping up in big games but the biggest problem we have is the offensive line, the run game, and the defense not playing well so far in the biggest games of the year...

So excuse me for being a little less than impressed with this particular rare stat.. I'm still waiting for that team that after the first three games of the year were claiming they should have a moniker of their own like doomsday 3 I haven't seen it...

However I'll take one of these kind of wins against Washington on Thanksgiving Thursday because we've been beat by Thanksgiving games too many times especially Washington who did we play last year? I don't know if it was Christmas or Thanksgiving but we got beat on a holiday game by Washington I think it might have been the one around Christmas.. Either way I hope this trend continues against Washington..

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
effective?? ie wheres their blame for the RS 3 loess?? squarely largely on those deficiency's which find way into the bigger games oh its a thing..LOL ..
I'm not sure that I understand this comment. We're 7-3 and have not allowed a 100-yard rusher, that's effective. Now, there are reasons why it is effective, which is why I mentioned that teams like the Eagles and 49ers aren't going to fall behind enough to just have to pass are a problem for us.