Defensive Coordinator options

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Parson's needs to be off the LOS except for clear passing downs.

It's funny. Parsons has more potential as an off the ball LB than any elite edge rusher. Ever.

But we keep him at DE so he can be a *liability* on run downs instead.

We're the worst.
It's all about him setting the market

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
From what Schefter just reported, BB isnt looking likely to land a HC gig.

Bring him in here as the DC asst HC. See how he does, if the team falls flat again. You have your HC in house already. This couldnt be lining up better.
Thinking the same you bring him here then he's already here in case you have to let mm go during or after the season lol

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I doubt we go full 3-4, but I think they've been trying to move in that direction for years. Osa is a better fit as a 3-4 DE. Mazi was supposed to be our NT, though rumor from Broadus is that he's down in the low 290s now.
Really when you look at it Hankins could play the nose and OSA/Mazi at least size wise are decent fits as 3-4 ends. Realistically you probably dont go into the season counting on Mazi as a starter so need to find someone to compete with him this offseason.

The quirky piece for the 3-4 is going to be DLaw. Could he be a suitable OLB in that scheme? Could he even stay at DE? Does he become a trade candidate?

I think you're right that the Cowboys wont go full 3-4 but they do seem to have a lot of tweener pieces on the front 7 where they could run a hybrid defense with a variety of fronts depending on who they are playing. Honestly this may be they key to next season and a quicker way to fix the defense without overhauling the roster too much.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
We don't have the personnel for a 3-4. We don't even have the LBs and beef up front for a 4-3
Even if they aren't stars yet, they DO have some of the pieces for the 3/4. Golston and Fehoko are CLASSIC Strongside DE/5T with their size and length (both are 285+ and have pretty good arm length). Osa could play 5T because of his arm length. Need a TRUE MLB to pair with the WILB the team currently has and, would need to see if Williams and DLaw can play in a 2-point stance.

quickccc

Reaction score
Hopefully he has new ideas that would cause micah to benefit greatly from
Micah is the war daddy we build our defense around, yes.
but there's also run defense, coverage schemes, 3rd down packages and player development, ala Mazi Smith.

Creeper

Reaction score
I would not go to college for a DC unless that coach has NFL experience. We don't have time for a college guy to learn the NFL ropes. I would look for an assistant on a team with traditionally great defenses - Baltimore, Pittsburgh, SF. I want a guy with a plan for a big physical front 7. I want a guy who demands 100% effort on every play.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I would not go to college for a DC unless that coach has NFL experience. We don't have time for a college guy to learn the NFL ropes. I would look for an assistant on a team with traditionally great defenses - Baltimore, Pittsburgh, SF. I want a guy with a plan for a big physical front 7. I want a guy who demands 100% effort on every play.
I want the baltimore guy

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Really when you look at it Hankins could play the nose and OSA/Mazi at least size wise are decent fits as 3-4 ends. Realistically you probably dont go into the season counting on Mazi as a starter so need to find someone to compete with him this offseason.

The quirky piece for the 3-4 is going to be DLaw. Could he be a suitable OLB in that scheme? Could he even stay at DE? Does he become a trade candidate?

I think you're right that the Cowboys wont go full 3-4 but they do seem to have a lot of tweener pieces on the front 7 where they could run a hybrid defense with a variety of fronts depending on who they are playing. Honestly this may be they key to next season and a quicker way to fix the defense without overhauling the roster too much.
I wouldn't go into the season that way either

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Parson's needs to be off the LOS except for clear passing downs.

It's funny. Parsons has more potential as an off the ball LB than any elite edge rusher. Ever.

But we keep him at DE so he can be a *liability* on run downs instead.

We're the worst.
Truth!!!!!
We are misusing him,and wearing him out prematurely.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
If Quinn were to go elsewhere???? Would you want a coach already on the staff, an outside coach, a coach who's young and upcoming, a coach that's been in the league for many years? Please give your thoughts
Wink

calicowboy54

Reaction score
i actually thought he'd get more mentions.
Its because people don't want to move to a hybrid 3-4 which he runs. we are a NT and 2 ILB away from doing that. we are close on personal but people don't think so because of Dak/CD/Parson's Looming contracts.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If Quinn were to go elsewhere???? Would you want a coach already on the staff, an outside coach, a coach who's young and upcoming, a coach that's been in the league for many years? Please give your thoughts
If Quinn leaves, be very hard to hire an DC outside the organization as nobody wants to come with a coach who has 1 yr left on his deal.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
They’ll probably have to promote Whitt or Harris internally as it would be difficult to find someone outside to work for a lame duck HC. But stranger things have happened.