Defensive Coordinator options

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Btw getting back to Zimmer, he would add a nasty edge to that pillowy soft defense.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don’t even know where to begin, but I’m looking at the college ranks I think. We need a fresh new prospective. I would go after the top DC’s in college. DQ is in the upper echelons of NFL DC’s. It would be hard to improve on that with the candidates out there.
Too much change from the college coaching team and a team trying to win now, probably.

quickccc

Reaction score
Too much change from the college coaching team and a team trying to win now, probably.
plus the things you can get away with in college does not work up in the NFL level.
you cannot experiment when it comes to the NFL level.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They still love Rod Marinelli too, but that doesn't mean Rod is a fit.

The sole thing Id' vastly want is management seeking and hiring a DC for McCarthy.
Not McCarthy picking his own DC (ala Mike Nolan)
McCarthy never had that control anyway. He had zip control over Quinn. HC in title only.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really when you look at it Hankins could play the nose and OSA/Mazi at least size wise are decent fits as 3-4 ends. Realistically you probably dont go into the season counting on Mazi as a starter so need to find someone to compete with him this offseason.

The quirky piece for the 3-4 is going to be DLaw. Could he be a suitable OLB in that scheme? Could he even stay at DE? Does he become a trade candidate?

I think you're right that the Cowboys wont go full 3-4 but they do seem to have a lot of tweener pieces on the front 7 where they could run a hybrid defense with a variety of fronts depending on who they are playing. Honestly this may be they key to next season and a quicker way to fix the defense without overhauling the roster too much.
Weren't they doing that before LVE got hurt?