Defensive Line: Have we done enough?

Sydla

Reaction score
It is what it is. We basically did the same thing we did in previous years. Sign some slop at DT in FA, throw a mid round/late picks at the DT spot and then hope whomever is coaching them will squeeze everything they can out of them.

Maybe it will work this year with Quinn. Or maybe it won't. At this point, it's cross your fingers and hope.........

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
DT:
Gallimore, Urban, Woods, Odighizuwa (R), Bohanna (R),

DE:
Lawrence, Gregory, Watkins, Golston (R), Basham

Camp injuries will affect this but if all healthy it should be something like this. Maybe anae shows something and they keep him over watkins.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
We didn't really do anything so I would say probably not. At least we drafted an LB and a DB so hopefully they pan out. Gotta start somewhere.

Sydla

Reaction score
DT:
Gallimore, Urban, Woods, Odighizuwa (R), Bohanna (R),

DE:
Lawrence, Gregory, Watkins, Golston (R), Basham

Camp injuries will affect this but if all healthy it should be something like this. Maybe anae shows something and they keep him over watkins.

Interesting that they like Watkins as a DE on the official roster but I guess if our base is really a 3-4, I can see that (Urban is also listed as a DE). I also can't imagine Hill not getting a clear shot to make the 53 as a DT. I think people are penciling Bohanna in for sure given his size but it remains to be seen how he translates to the NFL.

Verdict

Reaction score
I predict 11...Gallimore, Hill, Woods, Urban, Odighizuwa, Bohanna, Lawrence, Gregory, Basham, Watkins, Golston or Anae.
I am guessing one of Hill, Watkins, or Anae doesn’t make the final roster. I also would not be shocked to see us keep Armstrong another season.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Interesting that they like Watkins as a DE on the official roster but I guess if our base is really a 3-4, I can see that (Urban is also listed as a DE). I also can't imagine Hill not getting a clear shot to make the 53 as a DT. I think people are penciling Bohanna in for sure given his size but it remains to be seen how he translates to the NFL.

I think we keep Bohanna as a short yardage defender. 3rd/4th and short, goal line mostly. As far as hill goes, he better show better than any rookie. And I don't mean slightly better, but he needs to be the clear cut winner in camp or Quinn like most coaches will favor who they draft.

Turk

Reaction score
I think we keep Bohanna as a short yardage defender. 3rd/4th and short, goal line mostly. As far as hill goes, he better show better than any rookie. And I don't mean slightly better, but he needs to be the clear cut winner in camp or Quinn like most coaches will favor who they draft.
I laugh at how you dismiss Bohannon. Clearly you have not looked at the available game film on him.

quickccc

Reaction score
I'm still worried about our DL. Both interior spots are questionable for me. Feel pretty good about DE, at least.

DT:

Gallimore, Hill, Urban, Woods, Odighizuwa (R), Bohanna (R), J. Hamilton, Palmore (PS)

DE:
Lawrence, Gregory, Watkins, Armstrong, Anae, Golston (R), Carter (PS), L. Hamilton (PS), Speaks (PS)

*Last year we kept 10 DL on the 53

I believe that DL number count will be the same this year as will. 10 usually count with DL and OL.
I just haven't account for what kind of DL front and scheme Quinn is trying to implement.

the new guys we just drafted early in 3rd round, (Osa, Gholston) seem much more of a scheme fit for the 3-4 look.
So if that's gonna be the case, then what becomes of Hill, Gallimore

If we are to be a 3-4 base defense as Quinn says:
RDE - Gallimore (Hill, Gholston,
NT - Bohanna (Woods, Watkins)
LDE - Urban (Gholston)
(Gregory- DLaw become OLBs)

when we go to a four man front:
RDE - Gregory
3 tech - Gallimore
1 tech - Bohanna
LDE - DLaw

Since I believe 3rd rounders should be either starters or major rep role contributors (ditto for Lashon Wright) - that's although more reasons why I haven't yet made sense of who will be
starting roles /major snap contribution. Osa and Gholston figure to be upfront on a long term basis in the next incoming year,.. and what then will that say for the roles and future of Gallimore/Hill ?

DL:
1 - DLaw
2 - Osa
3 - Gholston
4 - Gregory
5 - Gallimore
6 - Urban
7 - Bohanna
8 - Woods
9 - Hill
10 - Basham or Anae

- Final DL spot may well come down to Basham vs Anae.
- Watkins gonna have to be a dark horse candidate unless he proves differently in camp/preseason.
- Ditto for Carter; I didn't count on JAGs like Hamilton
- Even per rotation, Woods is not a NT type, capable vs double team and 2-gapping, and he's a misfit for a 3-4 pass rushing DE.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I laugh at how you dismiss Bohannon. Clearly you have not looked at the available game film on him.

Why do you think he was available in the 6th?

heres a hint from NFL.com

Weaknesses
  • Body type lacks proportion and will need to keep weight in check.
  • Marginal production over four-year period.
  • Only makes plays one gap over.
  • Can't get back across blocker's face when reached.
  • Moves feet but doesn't gain much ground as a rusher.
  • Heavy feet slow twist-game effectiveness.
  • Possesses relatively small sphere of playmaking influence.
Again he is absolutely a good run defender. But I don't see the coaches using him much on 1st and 10, 2nd and 10 or any time they goto nickle defense which could be 60-70% according to Quinn. If he showed more in this area then he wouldn't be a 6th round pick, he'd be day 2 option maybe sooner. Again see Andrew Billings that cincy took in the 4th (i believe) as a superstrong run stuffer who rarely sees the field.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'm still worried about our DL. Both interior spots are questionable for me. Feel pretty good about DE, at least.

DT:

Gallimore, Hill, Urban, Woods, Odighizuwa (R), Bohanna (R), J. Hamilton, Palmore (PS)

DE:
Lawrence, Gregory, Watkins, Armstrong, Anae, Golston (R), Carter (PS), L. Hamilton (PS), Speaks (PS)

bunchof average and one above average player. so I expect average DL play...no stars, potential all pros or probowlers in the DT group...and only Lawrence...who can probably get to 6 sacks...

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

DT:

DE:

I believe Hill is in trouble. The occasional flash in the backfield won't make up for the other 8-9 times getting turned sideways 3-4 yards down the field.

Overall, I believe the DL will be more stout based on the additions they've made and the players who are no longer here. Poe was a disgrace and Crawford was essentially physically washed. Aldon while great the first 4-5 weeks, looked like he completely ran out of gas after that.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
If Gregory plays the full year then the starting DEs are pretty solid. They increased the floor of the interior by signing Brent Urban (great against the run), but the interior is still a weakness unless Gallimore or Hill take a big step this season. One of these young players will have to shine to make this line better.

quickccc

Reaction score
I’ve been watching a ton of Parsons tape and feel better about him. If they played him as a pass rusher every play, there’s no doubt in my mind he’d be a 10 sack a year guy.

- Imo, It's not so how many times we will blitz him, .. but more so how we scheme-design and use him in blitzes.
He has the bend, agility and quick stop/re-start change of direction skills that Jaylon simply does not have.
In the most very creative blitzing scheme I can see Parson with 5-6 sacks

- So his pass rush charges will be well- spotted and designed; here and there in according to packages, downs and distances.
As a blitzing LB, I can see scheme designs having him come from all angles, lanes (edge, up middle) and even some exotic stunts, overloads and delays.

- While I do want to utilize his blitzing skills, i'd still want Parson to eventually become an effective all around LB.. vs being just one track pony. One dimensional.
It's easier for opposing teams to account and counter scheme for one dimensional players.
while they devise blocking schemes for his blitzing, it's much harder accounting for his drop back coverages and making plays in coverages (ala Bucs Devin White)

ESisback

Reaction score
All unproven behind the starter, what happens if one goes down? Major drop-off

What if The Star blows up? What if someone’s plane crashes? No guarantees. Like Parcells used to say—can’t have steak on every plate!

We’re fine at DE, and I think we’re BETTER at DT and LB. We’ll see. In the meantime, I’d prefer to look forward with optimism.

Last edited:

visionary

Reaction score
When last season ended we had one player on the DL who would start for a top 5-7 defense, D Law. We still have only one.

We have added a bunch of bodies to make ourselves feel better but most of these are back ups or rotational players. We needed starters and we don’t have them. We’re basically praying that someone starts playing way way above where they have played previously or their draft grade and chances of that are not good.

it is far more likely that we will be a below average defense than it is that we will be a top 10 defense

so, No, we have not done nearly enough on the DL

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
When last season ended we had one player on the DL who would start for a top 5-7 defense, D Law. We still have only one.

We have added a bunch of bodies to make ourselves feel better but most of these are back ups or rotational players. We needed starters and we don’t have them. We’re basically praying that someone starts playing way way above where they have played previously or their draft grade and chances of that are not good.

it is far more likely that we will be a below average defense than it is that we will be a top 10 defense

:hammer:

Sydla

Reaction score

I think Gregory is better than people give him credit for. But even then, that's 2 (or 1.5 guys) that could be viewed as upper or close to upper level DL.

And they are both DEs. DT is a wasteland and they continue to think the way they fill the DT position makes total sense. It's bizarre.