Defensive Line: Have we done enough?

ESisback

Reaction score
When last season ended we had one player on the DL who would start for a top 5-7 defense, D Law. We still have only one.

We have added a bunch of bodies to make ourselves feel better but most of these are back ups or rotational players. We needed starters and we don’t have them. We’re basically praying that someone starts playing way way above where they have played previously or their draft grade and chances of that are not good.

it is far more likely that we will be a below average defense than it is that we will be a top 10 defense

so, No, we have not done nearly enough on the DL
As so many people here are so fond of saying, it’ll take a couple of years to build a really good defense. While they don’t seem to have acquired many “stars” (aside from Parsons), I DO think our defense will rise several positions in the overall ranks, which in turn will help our offense. I tend to look toward all the positive variables that will provide us with improvements:
1)Nolan out, Quinn in
2)We were one of the most injured teams in the NFL last year. It SHOULD be better this year.
3)No TC with new coaches is HUGE!
4)With Dak and Jarwin and our three best veteran lineman back, that offense (and improved special teams) should really help the D.
5)DL—More playing time for Gregory, year 2 improvement from Gallimore, and the addition of Basham should make a difference. I also expect some rotational contributions from the group that includes Hill, Anae, Woods, Golston, Urban, Watkins, OO, and the Big Boha.

6)The LB group should be MUCH BETTER, and the front 7 should really help the secondary.

JMO...

ESisback

Reaction score
I definitely think they improved. Plus the play of the LBs should be much better. So we’ll see how Quinn dials this up, but this D is on the right track.

Until we win significant games, the scoffers will proliferate.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
- No of course they wont use Bohanna in the nickel, he's a pure 1 tech or NT, should be a vs run option in the base defense and short/goal line packages and situations.

- I dunno if either Gallimore or Hill seem fit-suited to be 3-4, unless this scheme will be a One gap 3-4 scheme, and how many 3-4 schemes emphasize one gaps nowadays ?

- Anae still hasn't had a chance to get on the field on defense and he's already facing another uphill roster battle.

- Potential problem with Dlaw in a 3-4 scheme, is will he be able to go hands in the dirt, 3 point stance (which is what he does best) .
. or will Quinn have him standing up, like an OLB (which is what he does Not do best) ..and we saw how transforming him in OLB caused him great confusion and frustration,.. along with
the rest of the D' team
The base defense will be 3-4, but it's my understanding there will still be a 3T one gapping. The so called RE can either play standing or with his hand in the dirt, lined up wide. The other side of the line is more two gap, anchors. Actually think Odiggy might be the best run defender at the position, where Hill/Gallimore are the better pass rushers.

When we go in the nickel, they will be playing a traditional 4-3, with an extra defensive back, replacing a linebacker.

ESisback

Reaction score
Basham had 3.5 Sacks last year and it was his career high.

Add his 3.5 to Lawrence’s 10-13, Gregory’s 7-10, and a whole crapload from a collective that includes Parsons, Neal, and several others. I’m not gonna waste my time worrying.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Add his 3.5 to Lawrence’s 10-13, Gregory’s 7-10, and a whole crapload from a collective that includes Parsons, Neal, and several others. I’m not gonna waste my time worrying.
Gregory has never played a full season, Parsons will be more of a blitzer then line up as an Edge rusher. Team is awfully thin at the position.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
An average defense make the Cowboys a Super Bowl contender.
If you lose a DE starter for the season, it could potentially be a season wrecker, kind of like the Chiefs with their OL at the Super Bowl.

ESisback

Reaction score
Gregory has never played a full season, Parsons will be more of a blitzer then line up as an Edge rusher. Team is awfully thin at the position.

What your prediction for team sack totals?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
What your prediction for team sack totals?
Way too early to make a prediction, as we need to see how these players look in camp. What is concerning, outside of Tank, no other Cowboy has registered a 10 sack season.

ESisback

Reaction score
Way too early to make a prediction, as we need to see how these players look in camp. What is concerning, outside of Tank, no other Cowboy has registered a 10 sack season.
Yeah, it IS too early, but if we can make early predictions of failure, why not early predictions for improvement? While there weren’t giant upgrades everywhere, we DID land Parsons and Cox, plus added a little depth, and several minor changes will affect each other—the proverbial “death by 1,000 cuts”.

What’s the difference between 4 guys getting 40+ sacks collectively, or 12 guys getting 40+? IMHO, it’s harder for opponents to game plan if they don’t know where it’s coming from, right?

Last edited:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yeah, it IS too early, but if we can make early predictions of failure, why not early predictions for improvement? While there weren’t giant upgrades everywhere, we DID land Parsons and Cox, plus added a little depth, and several minor changes will affect each other—the proverbial “death by 1,000 cuts”.

What’s the difference between 4 guys getting 40+ sacks collectively, or 12 guys getting 40+? IMHO, it’s harder for opponents to game plan if they don’t know where it’s coming from, right?
Right now you have one proven guy, one who has never played a full season and another who has been on multiple teams. On paper, our pass rush looks really thin at DE.

DRella

Reaction score
Everyone keeps forgetting Urban who may end up being the biggest contributor in the middle of the line that will open the edge for Lawrence, Gregory, Armstrong, Basham, Anae, and defensive end we drafted.

I believe we will be ok and there is no need to acquire anything else along the defensive line. If there were one place they should augment this collection of defenders it is at the CB position with a proven veteran. The room could use a rotational veteran. Nelson, Poole, Dennard, Norman or Kirkpatrick. My guess is Dennard because of his ties to Quinn.

The Realist

Reaction score
I'm still worried about our DL. Both interior spots are questionable for me. Feel pretty good about DE, at least.

DT:

Gallimore, Hill, Urban, Woods, Odighizuwa (R), Bohanna (R), J. Hamilton, Palmore (PS)

DE:
Lawrence, Gregory, Watkins, Armstrong, Anae, Golston (R), Carter (PS), L. Hamilton (PS), Speaks (PS)

*Last year we kept 10 DL on the 53

Terrell Basham

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I'm still worried about our DL. Both interior spots are questionable for me. Feel pretty good about DE, at least.

DT:

Gallimore, Hill, Urban, Woods, Odighizuwa (R), Bohanna (R), J. Hamilton, Palmore (PS)

DE:
Lawrence, Gregory, Watkins, Armstrong, Anae, Golston (R), Carter (PS), L. Hamilton (PS), Speaks (PS)

*Last year we kept 10 DL on the 53
I think most fans are not aware it will take more losing and more high draft picks to get better. DL is going to take a top 3 pick to draft help there. Are we prepared to deal with the losing it will take to get better? I think not. It's like all the fans that wanted the team to lose at the end of last year to improve draft position. Then we won a little and it cost us in the draft. I have a hard time accepting losing to get better but in the NFL that is the way it works.