Defensive Line: Have we done enough?

Reaction score
No. Plain & simple. They took two linebackers, but who is going to keep blockers off of them? There were at least four tall, long, rangy PRs sitting there in the 4th, & we take another LB? Anyone ever think our correct LBs would have played better with a quality D-line? Elerson Smith had 14 sacks in 2019 at NIU, then went & dominated at the Senior Bowl. The Giants took him two picks later, so we'll see pretty quickly if I'm right or not.

Also, way too many knuckleheads. You'd think they'd learn from Gregory & Taco, & so many others, but they keep drafting them. Smacking women around isn't right, no matter what your age. Attacking your teammates-same deal. Some day, this team will get a clue & draft decent human beings who happen to be really good football players. Maybe after Jerry is six feet under. "C" grade.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
What if The Star blows up? What if someone’s plane crashes? No guarantees. Like Parcells used to say—can’t have steak on every plate!

We’re fine at DE, and I think we’re BETTER at DT and LB. We’ll see. In the meantime, I’d prefer to look forward with optimism.
Going into a season with 1 proven pass rusher, is a recipe for disaster.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m taking a wait and see approach but I can’t wait to find out. Maybe Anae put on weight and Quinn will love him? (Still think he has some of the best hands I’ve seen on Dline) Maybe the competition makes them all better. It’s fun to have a 330 guy for a change that’s young.
It's usually wait and see, but it is looking better!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I believe that DL number count will be the same this year as will. 10 usually count with DL and OL.
I just haven't account for what kind of DL front and scheme Quinn is trying to implement.

the new guys we just drafted early in 3rd round, (Osa, Gholston) seem much more of a scheme fit for the 3-4 look.
So if that's gonna be the case, then what becomes of Hill, Gallimore

If we are to be a 3-4 base defense as Quinn says:
RDE - Gallimore (Hill, Gholston,
NT - Bohanna (Woods, Watkins)
LDE - Urban (Gholston)
(Gregory- DLaw become OLBs)

when we go to a four man front:
RDE - Gregory
3 tech - Gallimore
1 tech - Bohanna
LDE - DLaw

Since I believe 3rd rounders should be either starters or major rep role contributors (ditto for Lashon Wright) - that's although more reasons why I haven't yet made sense of who will be
starting roles /major snap contribution. Osa and Gholston figure to be upfront on a long term basis in the next incoming year,.. and what then will that say for the roles and future of Gallimore/Hill ?

DL:
1 - DLaw
2 - Osa
3 - Gholston
4 - Gregory
5 - Gallimore
6 - Urban
7 - Bohanna
8 - Woods
9 - Hill
10 - Basham or Anae

- Final DL spot may well come down to Basham vs Anae.
- Watkins gonna have to be a dark horse candidate unless he proves differently in camp/preseason.
- Ditto for Carter; I didn't count on JAGs like Hamilton
- Even per rotation, Woods is not a NT type, capable vs double team and 2-gapping, and he's a misfit for a 3-4 pass rushing DE.

I don't think they will be using Bohanna at the 1 in the nickel, he will just be a run player. Think one of the 3rd rounders Hill/Gallimore play the interior. Would like to see Tank play some there, but don't really have another explosive DE to play on the outside. Basham has a 2yr contract, he stays unless he is awful in camp, Anae is going to have to earn his spot.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I don't think they will be using Bohanna at the 1 in the nickel, he will just be a run player. Think one of the 3rd rounders Hill/Gallimore play the interior. Would like to see Tank play some there, but don't really have another explosive DE to play on the outside. Basham has a 2yr contract, he stays unless he is awful in camp, Anae is going to have to earn his spot.

forgot about Basham

rambo2

Reaction score
Yes, they have done enough to improve the defense. They added 2 solid free agents and 2 solid draft picks. The wild card is that they can also use Parsons as an edge rusher. They certainly should be improved.

Big_D

Reaction score
What if The Star blows up? What if someone’s plane crashes? No guarantees. Like Parcells used to say—can’t have steak on every plate!

We’re fine at DE, and I think we’re BETTER at DT and LB. We’ll see. In the meantime, I’d prefer to look forward with optimism.

I definitely think they improved. Plus the play of the LBs should be much better. So we’ll see how Quinn dials this up, but this D is on the right track.

Big_D

Reaction score
lol everyone wants great players but they don’t want to develop those players? That’s where this team is currently at. Lots of young players have to turn the corner. This is a rebuild on D because it was that bad before. And I think Quinn is good enough to ultimately get them where they need to be. We all want to win Super Bowls but I’m looking beyond 21 before we’re in that conversation!

quickccc

Reaction score
I don't think they will be using Bohanna at the 1 in the nickel, he will just be a run player. Think one of the 3rd rounders Hill/Gallimore play the interior. Would like to see Tank play some there, but don't really have another explosive DE to play on the outside.
Basham has a 2yr contract, he stays unless he is awful in camp, Anae is going to have to earn his spot.

- No of course they wont use Bohanna in the nickel, he's a pure 1 tech or NT, should be a vs run option in the base defense and short/goal line packages and situations.

- I dunno if either Gallimore or Hill seem fit-suited to be 3-4, unless this scheme will be a One gap 3-4 scheme, and how many 3-4 schemes emphasize one gaps nowadays ?

- Anae still hasn't had a chance to get on the field on defense and he's already facing another uphill roster battle.

- Potential problem with Dlaw in a 3-4 scheme, is will he be able to go hands in the dirt, 3 point stance (which is what he does best) .
. or will Quinn have him standing up, like an OLB (which is what he does Not do best) ..and we saw how transforming him in OLB caused him great confusion and frustration,.. along with
the rest of the D' team

quickccc

Reaction score
Yes, they have done enough to improve the defense. They added 2 solid free agents and 2 solid draft picks. The wild card is that they can also use Parsons as an edge rusher. They certainly should be improved.

- one FA who is still recovering from achilles injury and we'll have to see if he can return to his previous play speed.
- another FA is transiting to be more of a weak side LB, and a good chance he'll be more part of a nickel package than full time.

- we did get two rookie legit starters in this draft class in Parson and Joseph, - and i do believe at least Osa,Cox will play even bigger roles over some experienced vets.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I think that Jaylon Smith can play the LEO. It's the SAM in run calls and more blitzing and man in pass calls.

Is that really all you got out of my post?
Actually he might be a better speed rusher at RE, just give him one task to do and he might excel.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
This question has been irking me. I feel like D-line is going unnoticed. I do think we need one more vet in the secondary room but other than that feel good about CB, S, and LB. The line has the most questions.
Will Tank be great at pass rushing again? Will Randy finally have his dominant breakout year instead of just a few flashes here and there? DE definitely worries me the most because outside of those guys and maybe Anae I have no idea who can step up. They will certainly have to have Parsons and Jaylon rushing alot. Hopefully Jaylon can learn how to get around or through a block. Tackle is a little less suspect but still nerve-wracking. Wil Gallimore or Hill improve to a dominant starter? Will Hill show up in shape and ready to go after his injury? How will the big rookie do?

I feel great about the offense and special teams. I know many say this every year but with good health and some of the d-line stepping up we should at least be in the playoffs. If Tank declines and Randy doesn't step up and Gallimore and Hill don't make progress than it could be another long year where we are having to score 40 to win.

rambo2

Reaction score
- one FA who is still recovering from achilles injury and we'll have to see if he can return to his previous play speed.
- another FA is transiting to be more of a weak side LB, and a good chance he'll be more part of a nickel package than full time.

- we did get two rookie legit starters in this draft class in Parson and Joseph, - and i do believe at least Osa,Cox will play even bigger roles over some experienced vets.
Just to clarify I was referring to Brent Urban, Tarell Basham, Osa Odighizuwa, and Chauncey Golston. Between the 4 of them and using Parsons as a pass rusher they have for sure improved the defensive line. Bohanna may add something as well. Adding Joesph to the secondary also improves the secondary. To be honest with this new defensive coordinator and this draft, the Cowboys have a chance of being a good team. This new blood is going to help.

jnday

Reaction score
I'm still worried about our DL. Both interior spots are questionable for me. Feel pretty good about DE, at least.

DT:

Gallimore, Hill, Urban, Woods, Odighizuwa (R), Bohanna (R), J. Hamilton, Palmore (PS)

DE:
Lawrence, Gregory, Watkins, Armstrong, Anae, Golston (R), Carter (PS), L. Hamilton (PS), Speaks (PS)

*Last year we kept 10 DL on the 53
Easy answer, no. You can add the DTs together and they might add up to one average player.

jnday

Reaction score
I see a lot of average players in that list.
You are giving them too much credit. This was a bad draft for DTs, but they seem to treat the DL the same way they treat the safety positions.