News: DeMarco Murray: I ran well against Minnesota

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are going to need the run game here sooner or later to protect leads, or else we will be in the "team with the ball last wil win" scenarios every week because of our depleted defense.
That would be a very safe bet to make. Each games seem to be decided by who has the ball last and what they do with it.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I am not comparing Murray to Peterson, don't be ridiculous. I am contrasting the two teams who played Sunday in the most recent contest for the Dallas Cowboys. Murray looked very good early on, when he was getting touches. He had bounce in his step, was cutting hard and had good burst. He was finding holes and making defenders miss. I have watched the game several times. There was nothing in this particular game to indicate we would have had a real difficult time running. It certainly wasn't evident on the few carries Murray did get.

Simply put, it is impossible to gauge what this team can do running the ball, because we don't ever run the ball. What you say are simply excuses. Callahan has never run the ball, even with a beefy oline in Oakland and some very very good talent in Nebraska. Garrett showed absolutely no commitment to the run when he was offensive coordinator, before and after becoming head coach, with all different levels of talent.

Tony Romo had 17 incompletions. Do those incompletions not result in 2nd or 3rd and long? Did they not have anything to do with the sacks that hurts drives several times? Murray averaged 7.8 yards a carry. Romo averaged 6 yards a pass attempt.

Don't try to convince me this is a down and distance argument when time, fact and logic make it clear this is a philosophical issue. Callahan and Garrett don't believe in running the ball.

And, if you want to make this an argument about protecting the defense, runs (even for no gain) take significantly more time off the clock than incompletions, penalties and sacks.
Will you STOP with his yards per carry average. He ran 4 times. TWICE he got no yards. I mean with your logic you would argue that if he broke off a 100 yard run...and then ran it 19 more times for no gain.....does that mean he "truly" averaged 5 yards per carry?

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Will you STOP with his yards per carry average. He ran 4 times. TWICE he got no yards. I mean with your logic you would argue that if he broke off a 100 yard run...and then ran it 19 more times for no gain.....does that mean he "truly" averaged 5 yards per carry?

Let throw out Hannah's one reception for 21 yards, William's 2/33 and the 12 yarder to Murray... Yeah I can play that game too.

I can just as easily say that Murray would have had a 27 yard carry every four carries.

All you did with your whining is prove my point. They didn't give him the ball enough, or any running backs for that matter, for anyone to draw any sort of conclusions about our running game--good or bad. That's been my point all along.

And I love how you pick out one tiny aspect of my entire post and latch on for dear life because you have nothing else. You haven't disproved my argument or even began to make on for yourself. But, if it makes you feel like you're more valid, please keep relying on caps lock.

khiladi

Reaction score
Let throw out Hannah's one reception for 21 yards, William's 2/33 and the 12 yarder to Murray... Yeah I can play that game too.

I can just as easily say that Murray would have had a 27 yard carry every four carries.

All you did with your whining is prove my point. They didn't give him the ball enough, or any running backs for that matter, for anyone to draw any sort of conclusions about our running game--good or bad. That's been my point all along.

And I love how you pick out one tiny aspect of my entire post and latch on for dear life because you have nothing else. You haven't disproved my argument or even began to make on for yourself. But, if it makes you feel like you're more valid, please keep relying on caps lock.

Stop making sense...

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I agree. That is where the stats become misleading. What I want to see is consistent production in the run game. When I see us taking too many negative runs then it becomes harder to sit there and continue to do the same thing over and over. I want Dallas to run and be effective doing so but I do not want to fall behind in games while we sit there screwing around.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
I agree. That is where the stats become misleading. What I want to see is consistent production in the run game. When I see us taking too many negative runs then it becomes harder to sit there and continue to do the same thing over and over. I want Dallas to run and be effective doing so but I do not want to fall behind in games while we sit there screwing around.

More than production I want to see a commitment. If the offense is unable to establish a running game by December, its going to be a sorry Christmas.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
So we shouldn't throw the ball because incompletions mean 2nd and 3rd and long?
Not what I'm saying.

My point is just that, despite the two healthy carries, its hard to say the run game was working, so its easy to see why it was abandoned

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Not what I'm saying.

My point is just that, despite the two healthy carries, its hard to say the run game was working, so its easy to see why it was abandoned

After three carries, one being for 27 yards, the other for 4, how can you say it wasn't working?

texbumthelife

Reaction score

Can you really say we couldn't have been effective against Minnesota running he ball? Do you really have a sample size for that? Because other than his stop on a blatant obvious running down, where we had no WR's in the game on 3rd and 1 in the third quarter, Murray had a 27 yarder, a 4 yarder and a no gain. Even taking the median there, as some have suggested as being more indicative, that's four yards.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
More than production I want to see a commitment. If the offense is unable to establish a running game by December, its going to be a sorry Christmas.

If you are producing then you will see more commitment but if that means running and not having any success then what good is it doing? Running to say we ran it half the time is not going to win games. Running it and doing it successfully can.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Can you really say we couldn't have been effective against Minnesota running he ball? Do you really have a sample size for that? Because other than his stop on a blatant obvious running down, where we had no WR's in the game on 3rd and 1 in the third quarter, Murray had a 27 yarder, a 4 yarder and a no gain. Even taking the median there, as some have suggested as being more indicative, thats four yards.

I can say on 3 series in a row we had no or negitive yards on 1st down that put us in long situation where we had to pass. When I start seeing DL in the backfield and back trying just to get back to the line then there is a problem. I want to see better running out of this team but I refuse to sit here and say well run it anyways regardless if we have success or not.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score

I have no interest in trying to dispprove your point. I watched the game. I watch every game. WE STINK AT RUNNING THE FOOTBALL. And this is nothing new. A couple of 3 and outs coupled with some negative runs and the coaches decide to unleash Romo. Had we put the ball in the endzone more we would have gone back to running. Like we did against the Rams. You cannot push a 3 yards and a cloud of dust gameplan when you are NOT scoring points.

bark

Reaction score
Whatever the problem is Murray seems to be handling it well ( at least in public ).
As far as going to need him...... Yes we need him sun against the saints... Hopefully he comes out angry

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
After three carries, one being for 27 yards, the other for 4, how can you say it wasn't working?
Because over 4 carries, 2 of them lost yards. That kind of radical inconsistency means the running game is not working imo. Running the football is not about big plays, but consistently moving the chains and managing the clock. You can't do that with negative runs. The 27 yarder was nice, but you can't expect that to keep happening throughout the game. In fact, depending on the field position, I think you could easily make the argument that a -2 yard run has more of a negative impact than a 27 yard run does positive.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Well, I will say this, I sure hope I and wrong and you guys are right. But to me this is a philosophical issue, not anything having to do with results on the field.
Because over 4 carries, 2 of them lost yards. That kind of radical inconsistency means the running game is not working imo. Running the football is not about big plays, but consistently moving the chains and managing the clock. You can't do that with negative runs. The 27 yarder was nice, but you can't expect that to keep happening throughout the game. In fact, depending on the field position, I think you could easily make the argument that a -2 yard run has more of a negative impact than a 27 yard run does positive.

Actually, they were both for no gain, one being in an obvious running situation where we didn't even have any WR's on the field and Murray hadn't touched the ball for almost two quarters.

Dunbar had the carries that lost yards.

I will just agree to disagree with you guys.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
You realize that Adrian Peterson had more negative runs than Murray did, right? 8-9 carries isn't even nearly enough sample size to draw your conclussions. They abandoned the run because they don't believe in it. Period.

According to NFL.com, they had the same number. AP did have a few "no gains" though. And Murray had a screen pass that lost 7 yards, but that was more the OL not blocking Kevin Williams.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
According to NFL.com, they had the same number. AP did have a few "no gains" though. And Murray had a screen pass that lost 7 yards, but that was more the OL not blocking Kevin Williams.

Ah, I may be factoring his no gains. I know that, much like Murray was on pace for, Peterson was hit or miss all day. He had some very nice gains but then quite a few where he got squat.

Once again, I am not comparing Murray to Peterson. I would never do something so ridiculous.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You realize that Adrian Peterson had more negative runs than Murray did, right? 8-9 carries isn't even nearly enough sample size to draw your conclussions. They abandoned the run because they don't believe in it. Period.

You also realize Minn does not have anything else they can really go to on offense outside of Peterson. Not sure if you know it but Ponder is not exactly Tony Romo, Minn has no choice but to run Peterson alot. Ponder is not going to produce much. For Ponder he had a big game a whopping 236 yards with a TD and an Int

cowboysooner

Reaction score
It is much easier to pass protect if you occasionally run at Alan or Robinson. It also helps the early down play action.