News: DeMarco Murray: I ran well against Minnesota

DuceizBak

Reaction score
Only the coaching staff knows the answer to why Murray didn't get many touches last game. Maybe the Coaching staff didn't want to put to much on his shoulders in his first game back from injury??

I think this is the most likely answer..they pretty much know they don't need them to win.
And don't forget...the vikings d-line is nothing to sneeze at...jared allen is pretty much their demarcus ware[healthy]

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
If you are producing then you will see more commitment but if that means running and not having any success then what good is it doing? Running to say we ran it half the time is not going to win games. Running it and doing it successfully can.

Not running it will lose games in December. Commit now and the o-line, which is quite capable of being a good run-blocking unit, will develop the consistency necessary to run successfully when the weather becomes a factor.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I would like to amand that comment that Murray stinks/stank/stunk.

He cleary stinks within Callahan's game plan, but I want to make clear that was not meant to discredit Murray. I think he is a serviceable back held way back by the inexplicable ways of Callahan.

Now I hope peace will rain in the valley.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Not running it will lose games in December. Commit now and the o-line, which is quite capable of being a good run-blocking unit, will develop the consistency necessary to run successfully when the weather becomes a factor.

Not winning games in Nov and it really will not matter about december. Minn has some weakness in their secondary but are pretty strong up front Dallas could keep banging the brick wall but hard to make a living doing that. This upcoming game I do hope Dallas can run the ball better New Orleans is not a good run stopping team where as their pass defense has played very well. No doubt Dallas team of the 90's could run the ball with great effectiveness vs any team, however this is not the 90's team. I think who we play where the Cowboys can exploit that team matters.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score

i dunno, i want to believe they can run block.. in all honesty though I think the loss of Waters hurts the cohesiveness on the o-line more than people are letting on..

CaptainMorgan

Reaction score
Those delayed hand-offs with a an unblocked, A-gap blitziwhat, don't work too well for many RB's.

Right what happened to our pitches and sweeps? Teams consistently blitz us up the middle because thats whats effective against Romo.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Hard for me to believe that a back can get 4 carries and break one for 27 yards and this board can come to the conclusion that the running game wasn't working. 4 carries for your star RB is not enough to tell anything.

27 yards, -2 yards, 6 yards and no gain. That's not a running game that is not working. That's a running game that never had a chance to get untracked.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Seriously again with the caps lock. Anger management?
Not at all. I am frustrated that this team cannot run the football. And this has been the case for a long time. When is the last time we had a 1000 yard rusher?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Not at all. I am frustrated that this team cannot run the football. And this has been the case for a long time. When is the last time we had a 1000 yard rusher?

When's the last time we had a back with over 250 carries?

Julius Jones in 2006. That's the last time we had a 1000 yard rusher. It's not the blocking, although the blocking could be better. It's the commitment to the running game.

Doomsay

Reaction score
Right what happened to our pitches and sweeps? Teams consistently blitz us up the middle because thats whats effective against Romo.

The QB to HB exchange had a sort of "no you take it" .... "oh crap" WHAM! quality to it.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
i dunno, i want to believe they can run block.. in all honesty though I think the loss of Waters hurts the cohesiveness on the o-line more than people are letting on..

Waters was a huge loss, I agree. Most Cowboys insiders, though, seem to think the unit as a whole is pretty solid and quite capable of run blocking.

As good as Waters was, most insiders would describe his play on the field as solid but not spectacular. His greatest value, its been stated, is his leadership and professional approach to the game. I think he still offers that if he sticks around.

Its always been said that o-linemen would rather run than pass block. If this is true, let them start running it now against the the suspect Saints defense.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Ah, I may be factoring his no gains. I know that, much like Murray was on pace for, Peterson was hit or miss all day. He had some very nice gains but then quite a few where he got squat.

Once again, I am not comparing Murray to Peterson. I would never do something so ridiculous.

Right, and it get your point about Peterson continuing to get the ball, despite some runs that didn't produce anything. Of course, they don't have strong passing game. I believe our strength is in the pass, so it should be the majority of the offense, but I don't know why we completely abandoned the run.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Hard for me to believe that a back can get 4 carries and break one for 27 yards and this board can come to the conclusion that the running game wasn't working. 4 carries for your star RB is not enough to tell anything.

27 yards, -2 yards, 6 yards and no gain. That's not a running game that is not working. That's a running game that never had a chance to get untracked.
Exactly.

The problem is Opie and his Playstation Offense.....................Shotgun, 5 WRs, empty backfield...................all day long...................and if Romo throws a pick on one of his 70 pass attempts, he is thrown to the wolves.

BHendri5

Reaction score
He only had 4 carries to evaluate. Don’t you think he looked good on that 27 yard carry?

wow, but the other runs were for 1 or 2 yards or for a loss or no gain. the dude is either hurt or he runs right into the pile like Julius Jones use to do.

Wood

Reaction score
I couldn't see the game. Was Romo audibling out of designed running plays of did Callahan just scrap it.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
I can't argue with his statement... To me he was running hard and made some good reads/gains.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
He only had 4 carries to evaluate. Don’t you think he looked good on that 27 yard carry?

That's kind of what i mean though.. he only had 4 carries.

Tough to say one way or the other if he was running well with that kind of sample size.

Fredd

Reaction score
I would like to amand that comment that Murray stinks/stank/stunk.

He cleary stinks within Callahan's game plan, but I want to make clear that was not meant to discredit Murray. I think he is a serviceable back held way back by the inexplicable ways of Callahan.

Now I hope peace will rain in the valley.

you're a foul one, mr Grinch :)

and, Murray was/is not the problem...how on God's green earth can you only run the ball 9 times, and one of those 9 was a romo scamper on a broken pass play? they had 55 passing downs (51 attempts, 3 sacks and the romo broken play) to 8 actual rushes....giving dunbar 3 rushes up the gut is FOOLISH....the guy is a speed back with very little experience and yet, the buffoons calling the plays give it to him to run up the gut....where are the pitches, the sweeps to get him out in space?

the coaches truly are pathetic. I know that Tony audibled out of some of the running plays, but this display by Callahan & Garrett is embarrassing...the least amount of rushes ever for the Cowboys in a game? Did I read that right?

someone has to go, and that someone is Callahan and/or Garrett unless something changes

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Do you guys do realize that Murray's 27 yard run was the longest for Dallas since the Rams game? If you average out those four carries, Murray goes for 124 yards if he rushes 16 times. That is what people are saying is such a terrible performance that Dallas had to abandon Murray for the pass game. People are entitled to believe what they want, but I personally think Garrett is just making excuses so he can do what he loves to do. Dude loves to pass the ball, period. Dallas has passed it more than all but the Saints and the Lions since Garrett became head coach.

That obviously fraudulent play action garbage they managed to pull off against a pitiful Minn Defense will get eaten alive against New Orleans.