Demarco Murray reminds me a lot of Duane Thomas

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Maybe a smoother and faster Chuck Foreman. Faster more agile Calvin Hill. I'm just not sure yet.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
goshan;4230527 said:
Murray doesn't look as fast as his timed speed.

No he doesn't and that's the problem with hand timed college times. They're almost always inflated. He's pretty smooth and he's outrunning people so I'm guessing in the low 4.4s.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
jobberone;4230517 said:
You remember correctly. He was faster, stronger and bigger than most of the players then. He wasn't more agile than Murray IMO. Thomas may have been faster on the field. I haven't seen enough of Murray yet. I still don't know how fast he is. I don't think he is 4.37 fast though.

You may be right, but Murray is more of a one cut runner IMO while Thomas could change direction multiple times. And Thomas may not have timed a 4.3 40 but he sure ran like he did.

robbieruff

Reaction score
jack2;4229287 said:
Don't know how may of u remember the cowboys in the 70's? But murray running style remind me a lot of duane thomas, he seemed to be able to get 6-7 yards with ease! Just hope j
His head is screwed on better than that great runner.

Spot on! You nailed it with this comparison! Post a clip!

goshan

Reaction score
I don't see a lot of things other see in here. Murray looks about 4.5 40 fast to me. About as fast as Felix. Also, I wouldn't call him overly smooth. His strength is that he is pretty agile, pretty fast, powerful and has good vision. He doesn't look great for an NFL runner in any one area.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
BAT;4230591 said:
You may be right, but Murray is more of a one cut runner IMO while Thomas could change direction multiple times. And Thomas may not have timed a 4.3 40 but he sure ran like he did.

Murray is a little more agile but I do think Thomas was faster. Not a lot. Both have/had the skills to be very good or better RBs in the NFL. Thomas threw it away. I never asked a teammate what was wrong with him but I wish I had now.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
goshan;4230668 said:
I don't see a lot of things other see in here. Murray looks about 4.5 40 fast to me. About as fast as Felix. Also, I wouldn't call him overly smooth. His strength is that he is pretty agile, pretty fast, powerful and has good vision. He doesn't look great for an NFL runner in any one area.

I wouldn't disagree much with this. I think he's faster than 4.5. He's running away from people including DBs. All of them aren't 4.6 guys. But I wouldn't say he's real fast. He's not that agile either. He's not elite powerful as well. He has good vision not great. But I agree overall he's good or better in most every category and that makes him a pretty damn good RB.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Watching Forte tonight, they have a lot of similarities. 6'2", angular build, upright running style. Nice acceleration, anticipation and vision. Well rounded in all facets. Forte has been way underappreciated in his career so far.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4230992 said:
Watching Forte tonight, they have a lot of similarities. 6'2", angular build, upright running style. Nice acceleration, anticipation and vision. Well rounded in all facets. Forte has been way underappreciated in his career so far.
forte is more agile.
murray might have more power.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Hes a bit of a long strider and he will get wobbly or tangled up sometimes running through arm tackles. It will cause him to lose speed as he corrects himself but too many times I've seen him collect himself enough to not fall down.

His body control is great. He does not get hit very hard. Against the Rams I saw him only get hit hard once and that wasn't til the fourth quarter. Hes very good at either creating contact himself or avoiding hits. Its like him going down after ripping off 40+ yards cause it did not feel right. He seems very in tune out there.

Hes a RB soI will enjoy him while I can.

[youtube]9k7vZo8N_Ls[/youtube]

Go to 3:03 and there are some runs
[youtube]WYboZqK5_KE[/youtube]

[youtube]FJnOhgxv0j4[/youtube]

[youtube]HxjmRnBX8jE[/youtube]

Chuck Foreman gets my vote
[youtube]df1RQEsYNAM[/youtube]

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
jblaze2004;4231081 said:
forte is more agile.
murray might have more power.

Agree. I thought the same thing as IR last night, that Murray looks a lot like Forte... Only Forte has a little more wiggle.

If he stays that good, we're in great shape. Now we just have to try to run it.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;4231092 said:
Hes a bit of a long strider and he will get wobbly or tangled up sometimes running through arm tackles. It will cause him to lose speed as he corrects himself but too many times I've seen him collect himself enough to not fall down.

His body control is great. He does not get hit very hard. Against the Rams I saw him only get hit hard once and that wasn't til the fourth quarter. Hes very good at either creating contact himself or avoiding hits. Its like him going down after ripping off 40+ yards cause it did not feel right. He seems very in tune out there.

Hes a RB soI will enjoy him while I can.

[youtube]9k7vZo8N_Ls[/youtube]

Go to 3:03 and there are some runs
[youtube]WYboZqK5_KE[/youtube]

[youtube]FJnOhgxv0j4[/youtube]

[youtube]HxjmRnBX8jE[/youtube]

Chuck Foreman gets my vote
[youtube]df1RQEsYNAM[/youtube]

Very nice post Fuzzy.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
diehard2294;4231790 said:
tell me about it...wasn't he one of the many bashing the Murray pick

Yep.

Sorry that I didn't see the guy going from a skinny borderline WR to a NFL Powerback.