Demarcus Lawrence wants at least $17 mil per year

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Dude is better than Vernon so what’s the big deal? Pass rushers are expensive

conner01

Reaction score
people saying a certain player only got his production because he's in a contract yr are funny. That IMO is one of the stupidest comments i see. Like a player can just turn it on and off. Lawrence is asking for 17mil on avg a yr. He doesnt have alot of miles on his body as he has missed some time in his first 4 yrs in the league. He seemed to have turned to the corner in 2015 where they kept switching him from strong side to weakside. Which did him a disservice. In 2016 he started off with a susp and then he was battling injuries. Its football and it happens. This yr he just put it all together with his new work ethic and became a leader. He couldnt be blocked by anybody this yr. Getting a long term deal is the smart thing.

Vernons deal
5yr 85mil 20milSB 52mil guaranteed

The difference is there was bidding going on for him. Dallas can franchise Lawrence first and that limits the market.

Give him 6yrs 102mil with 24mil SB. 52mil guranteed

first yr 2mil base 4mil pro rated 6mil caphit
2nd yr 14mil base fully guaranteed 4mil pro rated SB 18 mil cap hit
3rd yr 14mil base fully guranteed 4 milpro rated SB 18 mil cap hit

first 3 yrs 40mil of 52mil guaranteed money already paid.

You start looking for his replacement this offseason

4th yr 12mil base 4mil pro rated SB 16mil caphit

Through 4 yrs Dallas pays him 58 mil 44mil of it guaranteed.

Dallas would have 2 yrs 44mil and 8mil in prorated SB left. He'd be 30 during this season.

So you either restructure those 2 yrs and 44mil left in an extension if the production is still there. Or you release him in the offseason of 2022 and go with the guy you draft that yr or the yr before

I think you are close to what it will take
Around the 6 yr 100 mil mark

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I think you are close to what it will take
Around the 6 yr 100 mil mark
I think its gonna be there and most of it to stroke his ego lol. Getting him paid in 4 yrs which will most likely be his prime yrs will allow dallas to pay him during a time where they have the cap room to do it without the need to be worried. The next 3 yrs Dallas will have a crazy amount of cap room with not many players to reup.

Reaction score
I don't know why anybody would expect him to get less than Olivier Vernon, a guy who averages half the sacks per season that D Law put up this year.

I personally hope they tag him this year and see if he's going to stay healthy and dominant 2 years in a row before locking him up.

Verdict

Reaction score
And that’s why they lost the SB

Well how many titles has Witten's "team leadership" won for us since he has been in Dallas? That's right! Zero.

Moral victories don't show up as points on the scoreboard.

Verdict

Reaction score
Like the Skins with Cousins, if you tag him and he has another good year, you’ll be paying more than 17 million a year. He’s already better than Vernon, and he’s always been a high effort guy, even when injured. You also have to consider the message sent to all your other guys and potential FA targets.

If you perform, we pay you....period.

You tag him. If someone offers you two firsts you take it.

If he plays unde the tag that's fine. You tag him again next year if he has another good year. Then you look to trade him before he plays his second year under the tag.

ghst187

Reaction score
I find myself mad at Gregory right about now. Patriots are able to let these guys who want huge money walk because there’s always someone ready to replace

With pick 19, Dallas selects Harold Landry
Tag DLaw this year, draft his replacement who will have a year to learn before DLaw walks.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Dude is better than Vernon so what’s the big deal? Pass rushers are expensive

I don't know that I would say this. Vernon has almost twice as many sacks in only two more seasons, then does Lawrence. However, for the sake of discussion, lets say that Lawrence is better. It was stupid, IMO, for the Giants to sign Vernon to that contract. Why would it be wise of us to turn around and do exactly the same thing?

I don't get that.

glimmerman

Reaction score
That’s what he will make getting tagged this year. This will be his last year in Dallas. And if he wants another team to pay him that he better have a repeat of last year. Hoping it’s taco time this year.

cern

Reaction score
in all likelihood he gets tagged this year and earns 17 million, fully guaranteed. if he has another great year, the negotiating process begins again for next year. if he and the cowboys can't reach an agreement, he'll likely be tagged a second time. the hope in the meantime is taco or someone else steps up to the plate. but no question, a top edge rusher is the cornerstone of most defenses. we need him.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The Franchise Tag was set so high to punish a team for keeping a star player from FA after investing in and grooming him...... it was a high price to pay but meant as a last resort

The players pretend like they don't like it but it can work to their benefit.....they don't get long term security but they get top dollar for one year

The compromise is to give less than the Tag amount but for more guaranteed years...you don't use the Tag amount as the starting salary..... that is giving the player the best of both worlds and that is how the Commanders screwed up the Cousins deal so badly

DAL offers DLaw 5/70m with 42 gtd(28m at first)....he gets 2.5x the Franchise Tag and DAL gets to spread out the cap hit...... anything else is just greed(which is fine in principle but doesn't work in a team sport with a salary cap)

You don't break the bank for guys like DLaw......period.....he only had 4 sacks in the second half last year and 14.5 is not some elite number.......he is no Von Miller or JJ Watt

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That’s what he will make getting tagged this year. This will be his last year in Dallas. And if he wants another team to pay him that he better have a repeat of last year. Hoping it’s taco time this year.

But he won't get it in a long term contract. That's a huge difference. We can tag him and then step away the next season, or what have you. You sign him to a long term contract and you on the hook for that kind of salary for multiple years.

Look at Vernon. He signed that huge contract with the Giants and he has posted 8.5 sacks and 6.5 sacks respectively. He has posted 64 and 37 tackles. Giants are still on the hook for 17 mil next season. Lawrence has really only had one good season his entire career. I would not pay him that kind of money, if it were me. JMO

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
I’d tag and see if he can stay healthy this year. He’s only had one full season and has back issues.

glimmerman

Reaction score
But he won't get it in a long term contract. That's a huge difference. We can tag him and then step away the next season, or what have you. You sign him to a long term contract and you on the hook for that kind of salary for multiple years.

Look at Vernon. He signed that huge contract with the Giants and he has posted 8.5 sacks and 6.5 sacks respectively. He has posted 64 and 37 tackles. Giants are still on the hook for 17 mil next season. Lawrence has really only had one good season his entire career. I would not pay him that kind of money, if it were me. JMO

Not blaming him for trying but no team will pay him that. Not with as you said, one good year. He will have to prove it again this year which will work in our favor if we tag him. Wondering about the draft. Will there be a good pass rusher at 19 and we have other needs, so will it be the best available player at positions of need?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Who is this @School and how can I be more like him?!

jk, I love myself too much... such a narcissist! Bad boy! Bad!

But really: @School is cool.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Not blaming him for trying but no team will pay him that. Not with as you said, one good year. He will have to prove it again this year which will work in our favor if we tag him. Wondering about the draft. Will there be a good pass rusher at 19 and we have other needs, so will it be the best available player at positions of need?

I think there is a chance that we might see a pass rusher, depending on what the combine numbers look like. Right now, I see a lot of mocks with Landry and Keys still on the board. Depends on if you like them or not I guess. Will Davenport still be there? I don't but it's possible.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think there is a chance that we might see a pass rusher, depending on what the combine numbers look like. Right now, I see a lot of mocks with Landry and Keys still on the board. Depends on if you like them or not I guess. Will Davenport still be there? I don't but it's possible.

A lot will be going on during draft. Do you think we move up to grab someone? This year you are allowed to use compensatory picks to trade up or down.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
A lot will be going on during draft. Do you think we move up to grab someone? This year you are allowed to use compensatory picks to trade up or down.

I don't know glimmer. I mean, if we feel like there is a guy there that we think is really special, I could see us doing something but I don't see us move up 10 spots. I don't think we have the ammo to do that. I think if we are talking about a couple of spots, then maybe. I actually think that this draft sets up well for us. It's not top heavy with a bunch of really blue chip guys at the top but, it's deep in a lot of need areas for us. I think there is a lot of talent deep into the draft at WR, along the OL, at QB, at DB and DT. I think that the talent with the edge rushers is, right now, getting pushed down a little bit so just depending, we might have a shot there. Really, the only bad position of need, for us right now is MLB. That position is thin IMO. I think it kinda sets up well for us if we get just a little bit of luck.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't know glimmer. I mean, if we feel like there is a guy there that we think is really special, I could see us doing something but I don't see us move up 10 spots. I don't think we have the ammo to do that. I think if we are talking about a couple of spots, then maybe. I actually think that this draft sets up well for us. It's not top heavy with a bunch of really blue chip guys at the top but, it's deep in a lot of need areas for us. I think there is a lot of talent deep into the draft at WR, along the OL, at QB, at DB and DT. I think that the talent with the edge rushers is, right now, getting pushed down a little bit so just depending, we might have a shot there. Really, the only bad position of need, for us right now is MLB. That position is thin IMO. I think it kinda sets up well for us if we get just a little bit of luck.
And NT. We don't have one.