DeMarcus Lawrence

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Thank you brother, hope everything is good on your end. I'm going to be in SA to catch a game in January so I'm gonna miss you by a few months. Me and my wife were there last season for their game against the Trailblazers, we had great seats and I loved the environment so we definitely doing that again. Think you could slip a January visit out east as well?
Got lots of points with one of my cards. Could be interesting, but no promises.
PM me and hopefully we can coordinate. My wife has been DYING to visit the East coast.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
What a vicious circle. You draft a DE and groom him for several years to be the "guy" to get to the QB. He battles through injuries while showing flashes of what he can be for a couple years. Then busts out and starts paying dividends in his final year.

Then you let another team come in and steal him because you're afraid to pay him. Then you start over "looking" for the next one with more high draft picks.

PAY THE MAN!

He will get paid with the franchise tag. But with his injury history and this franchises history of paying the man too early, you pretty much have to franchise him. With Dak on a rookie contract, we can afford to do that.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I would say that Lawrence would have a special year. He's not JJ Watt-prime or a Von Miller in terms of pas rush. Having back to back seasons with the pace he is on is rare.

Actually, I'd put him on the level of Robert Quinn - he had a big 19 sack season, but it was between two 10 sack seasons. Lawrence will get a good contract, but he'll be affordable. His injury history doesn't help him - his back will be brought up in negotiations.
No argument from this peanut gallery bruddah.
Best to see how O's are scheming him, to be sure what is happening.
Is he getting disrespected right now with constant 1 on 1's?
Is he getting doubled yet?

If so... huh.
If not, how does this line respond, as a whole, to this attention away from other players?

David Irving is something to consider also, but Tank was putting up cray #'s before he came back on board. Would be nice for either Irving, or Lawrence to be singled on every play because the other was getting doubled.

btcutter

Reaction score
Irving maybe cheaper than Tank and healthier too. I really want to keep Irving. Tank's back worries me. He may never live up to the next contract like Crawford.

Reactions: BAT

Verdict

Reaction score
I'd do the same. Taco hopefully has some upside. I think Mayowa has proven to be a miss.

That's probably true. But then again we didn't use a first round pick on Mayowa. Hopefully Taco will eventually do something.

kevm3

Reaction score
Pass Rushers, just like corners, typically take time to develop. If we can get a discount by signing him now, let's do that.

Verdict

Reaction score
What a vicious circle. You draft a DE and groom him for several years to be the "guy" to get to the QB. He battles through injuries while showing flashes of what he can be for a couple years. Then busts out and starts paying dividends in his final year.

Then you let another team come in and steal him because you're afraid to pay him. Then you start over "looking" for the next one with more high draft picks.

PAY THE MAN!

Yeah. Or you pay the man and he fades into obscurity like Dez. Or occasionally you pay him and he lives up to his contract.

These are huge decisions to make. Miss on a decision like this and it sets your team back significantly.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Most of us aren’t going to make any comparisons with great DEs from past Cowboys or other teams, but 9 sacks in 6 games. More importantly, when was the last time a Cowboy had a sack in the first 6 games of the year. Despite a weak defense overall, no serious threat on the other side, and getting lots of attention, he continues to give great effort and hasn’t been shut out yet.

I’m impressed, but I’m still not a complete believer and won’t be without seeing him hit 14-15, but his consistency so far is encouraging.
Contract year with a history of back surgeries.

Don't know what to think.

If he wants too much later on..

they can let him go like what they did with Hatcher.

jrumann59

Reaction score
This old boy got 9 sacks in 6 games bro. This isn't the end of the season yet.
I feel ever so slightly confident that he's going to have a season better than Tolbert could have dreamed.
Different eras. Tolbert got his sacks when teams averaged 20-25 passes a game. He would be monster now considering teams avg above 30 passes a game.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Contract year with a history of back surgeries.

Don't know what to think.

If he wants too much later on..

they can let him go like what they did with Hatcher.

I hear the back surgery issue but does anyone know what the surgeries were for. If it was disk related I would be leery if it was muscle or ligament I would not be too worried since he is young.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Yeah. Or you pay the man and he fades into obscurity like Dez. Or occasionally you pay him and he lives up to his contract.

These are huge decisions to make. Miss on a decision like this and it sets your team back significantly.
You always run the risk. But the question I have is would you take the risk with a premium position that is very hard to draft. Lets say he gets 15 sacks this year what rookie and combination of guys on the roster and street FA would be able to deliver impact on par with Lawrences production. Remember this is a position that rarely sees good guys hit FA. DE like on par with Lawrence do not grow on trees.

Fontaine

Reaction score
I see a franchise tag in his future. If he repeats in 2018, then he gets his deal.

Nothing more, nothing less.