Demarcus Lawrence's rookie sack total

honyock

Reaction score
Would a half dozen sacks playing heavily in a rotation be an encouraging rookie year? Is he capable? I have my opinion (yes), what's yours?

Yes it'd be encouraging. Half a dozen sacks would be very good production for a rookie. Looking back as far as 2007, six would put him in the top three rookies in sack totals every year except 2011 (a freakish year for rookie sack numbers). It would have put him first or second among rookies in four of those years.

And yes I think he's capable of six. Anything much over that would be sweet.

sbark

Reaction score
7 .........I just hope they are quality sacks during critical game flow times :)

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I'll go with between 5 to 7 sacks as a rookie. But closer to 5 is probably more realistic his first year.

In his second year, I'd hope between 7 to 10 area.

I think we are going to have to keep drafting DL next year as well. Similarly like we have done for the OL the past few years.

Someone gets it!

morasp

Reaction score
I think Bennet and Avril each had single digit sack totals for the Seahawks somewhere in the 6-8 range. That seems more than acceptable to me. If Melton, Selvie, Crawford, and maybe Spencer could get somewhere in that range teams wouldn't know who to focus on.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Ware only had 8 as a rookie. If Lawrence has anything over six that would be good. I'm expecting 4-6.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Under 5. Look at a bunch of the mid to late first round DL taken last year that ended up in rotations, they are in like the 2.5 sack area.

Unlike a lot of people though, I am not, and will never, be concerned with a players size. Robert Mathis led the league in sacks last year, and he is Lawrence's size.

Ok this is the first ray of hope for our part time situational high cost move...

Kuddos

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
I don't know how the Cowboys will use him. Seems he doesn't have the bulk to play full time this year and I have am worried about his ability to follow rules. I love getting linemen, but if you're asking for a sack total (and you are), I'll say 3 or 4 with many more pressures. If we were a 3-4 team and he has more bulk in front of him I'd say more like 8 or 10. I have doubts about this player but I hope I'm wrong.

Deep_South

Reaction score
It seems like all of the "experts" I've heard think Demarcus has a good upside but needs some work in the weight room before he can reach his full potential. So, for this season only, I'll take 4 sacks for the 2nd round pick we used to get him, and 1.5 for the 3rd round pick.

5.5 sacks in the 2014 regular season, and one in the playoffs.

birdwells1

Reaction score
So then why dump $100 Mill on a declining QB?

Now that's where I think the plan went bad, I think that JJ was gearing up to make a run last year. Best case scenario had our dline being Ware, Hatcher, Ratliff, and Spencer so on paper it looked like we could challenge for the division so he had no other choice, in his mind but to sign Romo. After the way the season played out I bet he wish that he didn't because now you're in rebuilding mode with a qb taking up a huge chunk of the cap. I think that the Cowboys are building this team to be set on go when the next qb comes in, much like the Seahawks did. If you spend money shoring up the rest of your team and get a competent qb in the draft (rookie wage scale) you can compete much like SF and Seattle.

udas

Reaction score
as it stands now he is not boing to be able to contain the edge against the run. jason peters and trent williams would sustain their blocks and steer him where they will. as part of a rotation anything over 5 sacks i would consider a success.

Jerry already said they see him as a 2nd and 3rd down edge rusher. He needs to add about 15 pounds and add some strength to get on the field for 3 downs. If he adds that I could see him being a 8 to 12 sack guy each year, but in 2014 were probably looking more at 4 to 6. This truly will be a sack by committee team and right now I dont see any one player getting to 10 plus sacks.

dstovall5

Reaction score
I don't know who he is, or have never heard of him (don't watch college football whatsoever), but I'm going to say 9(feel free to call me crazy). If Rod Marinelli can work magic with people off the street, then I'm sure he's going to be able to do wonders with this kid. And Marinelli obviously likes him, because he wouldn't be here if he didn't.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would be happy with 1 sack per 100 snaps. I'm thinking 600 snaps = 6 sacks.