Demarcus Lawrence's rookie sack total

DTown214

Reaction score
6, no more than 8.

I'm still pissed about the trade up for this guy. If we stayed put we coulda had Kony Ealy + Louis Nix....

cml750

Reaction score
Given our luck with defensive injuries lately, I would not be at all surprised if he is hurt in training camp and ends up with zero sacks. :( That being said, I would be happy with 5 - 6 and REALLY happy with 7 or more.

hutch1254

Reaction score
I'd be fine with 6 in that rookie year. I'm all about sending dudes in waves. While it's nice to have that one stud that can produce 15 to 20 sacks a season I'm all about having a rotation of guys that you try and keep fresh so that way there is constant mayhem in the opposing QB's face. Wave after wave of making the other QB feel uncomfortable.

I haven't really had a chance to do my homework on this trade and pick (worked late last night). But my initial feeling is I'm ticked off about the trade part of it and giving up a 3rd. That may change as I do more homework.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm taking the temperature of the board here. What do you think is a realistic expectation for Lawrence this season in terms of what he does best, sack the quarterback?

I don't think he's an immediate starter. But that matters little to me. This is an investment for the future.

Would a half dozen sacks playing heavily in a rotation be an encouraging rookie year? Is he capable? I have my opinion (yes), what's yours?

I think he could get 10 in this scheme as a part-time player. I don't think we'll see him in there much on obvious run downs, but they'll let him pin his ears back in passing situations.

jday

Reaction score
I'm taking the temperature of the board here. What do you think is a realistic expectation for Lawrence this season in terms of what he does best, sack the quarterback?

I don't think he's an immediate starter. But that matters little to me. This is an investment for the future.

Would a half dozen sacks playing heavily in a rotation be an encouraging rookie year? Is he capable? I have my opinion (yes), what's yours?

I care little about sack totals because in the scheme of things, all I want is a guy who can penetrate and upset plays; a sack is really only 1 way of doing that. I think tackles for loss would be a better measuring stick...and yes, I know, he had quite a bit in college.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A situational pass rusher in 2014. A starter in the future.

I don't think he is limited to being a situational pass rusher. He was a good run defender in college. Of the WDE or Right DE types, he was the best run defender.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he could get 10 in this scheme as a part-time player. I don't think we'll see him in there much on obvious run downs, but they'll let him pin his ears back in passing situations.

I wouldn't get my hopes up too high.

Keep in mind, perhaps the best pass rusher in the NFL only had 6 sacks in 648 snaps in the same scheme.

If Lawrence had 6 in 600 snaps I'd be thrilled.

That being said, he's probably going to need some strengthening and will need to learn more technique when it comes to rushing the passer. That probably isn't going to happen (especially the getting stronger) until between his first and second seasons.

Eddie

Reaction score
Exactly. A lot of people seem to have it in their head that all issues will be addressed in this one draft. It doesn't work that way.

Yep ... and the more premium draft picks we have, the more issues we can address.

Sounds logical to me ... scratching my head.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't think he is limited to being a situational pass rusher. He was a good run defender in college. Of the WDE or Right DE types, he was the best run defender.

The more I watch him, the more I think this is correct. He sheds well because of his quickness and does a good job of finding the back.

DFWJC

Reaction score
That we traded way up for.. Players taken that early should be day one starters...

I too was disappointed in that trade value.
But what you say is not true. 2nd rounders are not necessarily day one starters. And anyway, who's to say he will not be a day one starter.

cml750

Reaction score
I wouldn't seriously expect that from anyone

Double digit sack potential yes.

I agree but if he did manage to get 20 + I doubt anyone would ever gripe about the 3rd rounder we gave up for him.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think 6 would be very acceptable. Also depends on his responsibilities when he is in there. How many snaps, how many times he will actually ruch the QB. Also how many pressures, that is more key to me than how many sacks.
I know how it will go, if he doesn't live up to Ware when Ware was in his prime getting sacks in the high teens. Fans will label him a bust after 4 to 6 games.
He will be part of a rotation and not an every down player.

Fredd

Reaction score

good thread (especially since it is a thread about a COWBOY that was drafted)...thank you

and, I was thinking about this as soon as the talk was out there about taking him...I think his sack total is going to depend on Melton and the interior pressure...if Lawrence is left a lot in 1:1 match-ups, I can see him around 8, to maybe 10 sacks....if melton, Crawford, et al can't apply pressure up the middle, then opposing teams will double the edge rusher more

I am going with 8