Demarcus Lawrence's rookie sack total

waving monkey

Reaction score
I'm taking the temperature of the board here. What do you think is a realistic expectation for Lawrence this season in terms of what he does best, sack the quarterback?

I don't think he's an immediate starter. But that matters little to me. This is an investment for the future.

Would a half dozen sacks playing heavily in a rotation be an encouraging rookie year? Is he capable? I have my opinion (yes), what's yours?

I think 6 is realistic. I just hope he and all the rookies strengthen their knees and are injury free.
Mainly I hope Lawrence stays in the back field

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
This is obviously just my opinion but I really expect us to crap the bed this season. The only thing I care about is will he become a good, productive starter in the future. I have no hopes for this year so wouldn't be bothered if he got 0 sacks this year, as long as he does well after that.

Jerry's latest paradigm is long overdue and likely to change at any given moment but it's the one I want -- emphasize trenches and BPA. He's done relatively well drafting of late, at least in the first round (Dez, Smith, Frederick, Martin v Claiborn).

I am about as optimistic as I could be given JJ at the top re the core that's being built in the trenches.

Shinywalrus

Reaction score
So we trade way up for a part time situational future player? I don't get it...

You're off base here. This is typical practice for rookie pass rushers, not just at the top of the 2nd round but in the 1st as well.

Consider last year's pass rushers picked through the top 1/3 of the 2nd round, and how many snaps they actually got in comparison to a typical starter. A typical starter at defensive end in the NFL (or a 34 OLB that flips to nickel end) will typically get 800-850 snaps on defense, barring injury. Last year's top group?

Dion Jordan - 339
Ezekiel Ansah - 581
Barkevious Mingo - 668
Jarvis Jones - 646
Bjoern Werner - 312
Tank Carradine - 0
Jamie Collins (hybrid) - 302
Margus Hunt - 165

Even if you take Carradine out of the mix, the average pass rusher picked through the "top of the 2nd" last year got 430 snaps on defense...about half of the typical starter number. The number in 2012 was 505. This is pretty typical.

So what's the big fuss over a "part-time" player in his first year, considering that out of 15 pass rushers drafted through the top of the second round in the last two years, 15 out of 15 played less than the median starter number of snaps? What are we missing here?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Now that's where I think the plan went bad, I think that JJ was gearing up to make a run last year. Best case scenario had our dline being Ware, Hatcher, Ratliff, and Spencer so on paper it looked like we could challenge for the division so he had no other choice, in his mind but to sign Romo. After the way the season played out I bet he wish that he didn't because now you're in rebuilding mode with a qb taking up a huge chunk of the cap. I think that the Cowboys are building this team to be set on go when the next qb comes in, much like the Seahawks did. If you spend money shoring up the rest of your team and get a competent qb in the draft (rookie wage scale) you can compete much like SF and Seattle.

All excellent points but we've been in rebuilding mode since Garrett took over.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I don't know who he is, or have never heard of him (don't watch college football whatsoever), but I'm going to say 9(feel free to call me crazy). If Rod Marinelli can work magic with people off the street, then I'm sure he's going to be able to do wonders with this kid. And Marinelli obviously likes him, because he wouldn't be here if he didn't.

Rod Marinelli himself wouldn't be here if his other option had panned out for him. Jerry is a doofus on draft day...

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
You're off base here. This is typical practice for rookie pass rushers, not just at the top of the 2nd round but in the 1st as well.

Consider last year's pass rushers picked through the top 1/3 of the 2nd round, and how many snaps they actually got in comparison to a typical starter. A typical starter at defensive end in the NFL (or a 34 OLB that flips to nickel end) will typically get 800-850 snaps on defense, barring injury. Last year's top group?

Dion Jordan - 339
Ezekiel Ansah - 581
Barkevious Mingo - 668
Jarvis Jones - 646
Bjoern Werner - 312
Tank Carradine - 0
Margus Hunt - 165

Even if you take Carradine out of the mix, the average pass rusher picked through the "top of the 2nd" last year got 430 snaps on defense...about half of the typical starter number. The number in 2012 was 505. This is pretty typical.

So what's the big fuss over a "part-time" player in his first year, considering that out of 15 pass rushers drafted through the top of the second round in the last two years, 15 out of 15 played less than the median starter number of snaps? What are we missing here?

A true DE....

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Dion Jordan - 339
Ezekiel Ansah - 581
Barkevious Mingo - 668
Jarvis Jones - 646
Bjoern Werner - 312
Tank Carradine - 0
Margus Hunt - 165

That's well done analysis!

I was thinking 600 snaps for Lawrence. But Spencer's recovery will influence that. No Spencer = more snaps.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Who knows. If he stays healthy he will likely get starter snaps likely a little on the low side being a rookie. Last years starters had 843, 773, 762, and 648 snaps the latter being Ware who was hurt some. Lawrence will likely be in that range; if he stays healthy.

I'd say the range of sacks will be 6-12. I'll go with 9. That's going to be roughly one sack per 80 snaps.

Reaction score
Exactly. A lot of people seem to have it in their head that all issues will be addressed in this one draft. It doesn't work that way.

Definitely not with this team, 11 draft picks isn't enough to address all their issues o_O

Nirvana

Reaction score
No rookie got more than 2.5 sacks last year. I'd be thrilled with 6.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The good thing for Lawrence is he'll have Jeremy Mincey and George Selvie there to show him the tricks of the trade.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Right here on the Zone man. Marinelli came back because his other option fell thru. Do a search..

Marinelli is under contract to the Cowboys in 2014. The Cowboys could let him go if they choose, but they have blocked Joe DeCamillis and Tony Sparano in recent years from taking jobs with different teams while under contract. It is possible they could come up with some sort of compensation package to let Marinelli go.

But the feeling is the Cowboys do not want to lose Marinelli. He was forced to work with 19 different defensive linemen in 2013 because of injuries and poor play. The Cowboys higher ups liked what he brought to that group and defense in particular.

With Monte Kiffin’s status up in the air, Marinelli could be a candidate to be the Cowboys’ coordinator if they went that route.

And they did.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
If you look at the sack totals for the top rookie DE's last year, you would have to be pleased if he had 6 sacks.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Marinelli is under contract to the Cowboys in 2014. The Cowboys could let him go if they choose, but they have blocked Joe DeCamillis and Tony Sparano in recent years from taking jobs with different teams while under contract. It is possible they could come up with some sort of compensation package to let Marinelli go.

But the feeling is the Cowboys do not want to lose Marinelli. He was forced to work with 19 different defensive linemen in 2013 because of injuries and poor play. The Cowboys higher ups liked what he brought to that group and defense in particular.

With Monte Kiffin’s status up in the air, Marinelli could be a candidate to be the Cowboys’ coordinator if they went that route.

And they did.

Yes that's correct, thank-you for clearing that up for me. The point is he'd rather be somewhere else...