Demarcus Ware - perfect definition of a sack technician

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
Spencer couldn't take advantage of having Ware on the other side

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
"big games" but reading doesn't matter does it.

what do you Qaulify as a big Game?

He had many multiple sack games many 3 sack games lots of fumbles caused...Most QB hurries for those teams....he ended games with sacks..he also had a 4 sack Game they lost...what is a big game in this?

Dallasfann

Reaction score
If you lose the game you don't get to play in another big game. I'd bet you could go back through history and find all the teams who won the SB and find a huge defensive play that someone made during their playoff run to get them to where they are. It doesn't happen in Dallas. Ware for some reason gets some free pass on this. He had like 3 sacks total in the 4 playoff games he played for us. None in the 4th quarter, none were forced fumbles. None during a critical moment in the game. I believe Mike calls them "mojo moments". Well in the playoffs Ware had 0 mojo moments, but oh well. He had lots of sacks in the regular season, we will let it slide.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
What the hell is a big game? There's only 16 of them lol. Every game is big at that point.

So you are saying week 2 vs the Chargers is a bigger game then a wild card or divisional, conference or SB...By that logic, my argument is not directed at you.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
That's not how I remember him. I seem to remember him as a guy who got us 6 to 7 sacks and was great against the run.
I guess maybe my expectations were too high because he was playing opposite of an all-world pass rusher.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
If you lose the game you don't get to play in another big game. I'd bet you could go back through history and find all the teams who won the SB and find a huge defensive play that someone made during their playoff run to get them to where they are. It doesn't happen in Dallas. Ware for some reason gets some free pass on this. He had like 3 sacks total in the 4 playoff games he played for us. None in the 4th quarter, none were forced fumbles. None during a critical moment in the game. I believe Mike calls them "mojo moments". Well in the playoffs Ware had 0 mojo moments, but oh well. He had lots of sacks in the regular season, we will let it slide.

Its all in what you want to see I guess....let me ask you this..if you put Ware on the 92-95 team do you think he would've had "Big Games" like he did with the Broncos?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Right I feel like he is trying to set up something here.
Yeah I think so too lol.
I guess maybe my expectations were too high because he was playing opposite of an all-world pass rusher.

Just wasn't a sack guy. I mean you had Ware racking up sacks, you had Ratliff racking up sacks...I mean I'd kill for a line that had Spencer, Ware and Ratliff on it right now.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
Just wasn't a sack guy. I mean you had Ware racking up sacks, you had Ratliff racking up sacks...I mean I'd kill for a line that had Spencer, Ware and Ratliff on it right now.

Touché

SackMaster

Reaction score
That’s not entirely true. Ware had some nice pieces around him…even lead some good defenses..Jay Ratliff, Anthony Spencer, Hatcher….
Ratliff ... OK
Hatcher ... Not until last few years in Dallas
Spencer ... :thumbdown:

Then once teams figured out that they could use Ratilff's speed against him by just "guiding" him around where they needed, then the 2nd best player on those Defenses was pretty neutralized. I can't believe we had him man NT for longer than we needed. He would have been a GREAT 3-4 DE IMO.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
So after two games, you are saying Parsons is better than Ware ever was?

Go watch this video with his highlights just from the 2008 season ..

Parsons is a really good player and maybe in a few years you can say that he was better than Ware, but saying that right now makes you sound as ridiculous as other teams' fans who after one great game by a rookie quarterback start comparing him to Tom Brady.

Ware had elite hand techniques and fast for his size. Also once he gets to the QB , Qb was not going anywhere, be it Mcnabb or Big Ben, Parsons has more speed but not the size. But for a rookie in his 1st game as a pass rusher he exceeded our expectations.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Let's all be honest though. Ware made very few big plays in big games for us. It's one thing I always said about Romo. He never once had a defensive player make a big play for him in a big game (playoff type game). It was pretty sad watching Ware go non existent when we needed a stop in the 4th quarter, then see Romo take all the blame for losing. Hopefully that changes for Dak.
This so reminds me of...

"Well, Bob, he never got big sacks. He never did much in the 4th quarter."

Wrong.

DeMarcus Ware sacks by quarter: 1st Q - 34.5; 2nd Q - 40.5; 3rd Q - 25; 4th Q - 38.5. It appears he had quite a few sacks in the 4th quarter.

In fact, in Ware's career, no player in the sport had more sacks in the 4th quarter than DeMarcus Ware. In the entire sport.

But, yeah, keep telling yourself that he disappeared at the end of games.​

I understand we didn't win anything during Ware's career here, but I just don't get where the "Ware never _______" narrative came from.
:huh:

The guy is the best PLAYER, not just defensive, but PLAYER the Cowboys have had since their Super Bowl teams.
:thumbup:

lqmac1

Reaction score
No disrespect to his HOF career, but to me he was the perfect definition of a sack technician. Great sack totals, but not someone who disrupted offenses and made quarterbacks uncomfortable the entire game.

That's what Charles Haley was all about. That's what Micah Parsons is all about. I won't even suggest that Haley and Parsons are of the same mold or type of player. Parsons is way more athletic and Haley was just a head case. But whatever it is, they both had that instinct to get into the head space of their opponents.

I'll take that special quality 10,000 times over any sack technician.
Parsons has the ability to go down as the greatest defensive player of all time. I don’t care who’s feelings I’m hurting.

lk8701

Reaction score
No disrespect to his HOF career, but to me he was the perfect definition of a sack technician. Great sack totals, but not someone who disrupted offenses and made quarterbacks uncomfortable the entire game.

That's what Charles Haley was all about. That's what Micah Parsons is all about. I won't even suggest that Haley and Parsons are of the same mold or type of player. Parsons is way more athletic and Haley was just a head case. But whatever it is, they both had that instinct to get into the head space of their opponents.

I'll take that special quality 10,000 times over any sack technician.

Did you watch D Ware on the Broncos? Especially the AFC championship game. Maybe the problem was D Ware's cowboys teammates on defense and not D Ware. D Ware is a Hall of Fame player and a Super Bowl champion.

KB1122

Reaction score
Ware's issue was that he jumped offside about two to three times as often as the other best sack guys of his time. So half of the time he was giving up 5 yards to get 7.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Ware played 8 playoff games in his career and produced the following:

Record 4 wins, 4 Losses
23 tackles
7.5 sacks
8 TFLs
18 QB hits
1 FF
1 FR

You are right, dude SUCKED and NEVER had a "mojo moment".
:muttley:

Since I already know you will say "most of that was in Denver", here is just his Dallas Playoff stats:

4 games
Record 1 win, 3 losses
10 tackles
4.0 sacks
4 TFLs
6 QB hits
1 FF
0 FR

Oh ... so what it looks like he was pretty darn consistent in playoff game for Denver AND Dallas. Inconceivable!!!!!
:muttley: