Derrick Brown possibly being on the board at 17

kskboys

Reaction score
As often as the Cowboys got gashed up the middle over the last two seasons, you definitely take him at 17. Stuffing the run against a good balanced team who runs the ball well is critical for a SB run!
I have no idea where some got this thought that he's merely a run stuffer. It's simply not true. Dude is a disruptive beast. His long arms make him adept at swatting down passes. He can push the pocket and also slip through gaps.

Hey, hope the NFL sees his 40 time and lets him slip to us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Size needs to be factored in with Brown's workout. Among defensive linemen at the combine over the past two decades, his height (6-foot-5) and weight (324 pounds) placed in the 84th and 94th percentile, respectively.

However, all of his measured, on-field work was historically bad. His 8.22 3-cone placed in the third -- yes, third -- percentile among defensive tackles. His vertical? 22nd percentile at the position. His broad jump was a respectable but far from super-impressive 66th percentile. His short shuttle time of 4.79 -- 18th percentile. Ndamukong Suh -- a trendy comparison for the Auburn star -- was light-years more athletic than Brown when he tested at the combine in 2010.

And Brown's workout basically matches the film. While young -- still not 22 -- Brown wins with sheer force through blocks and tremendous block-shedding laterally to go along with stellar tackling reliability. He's the best run defender in the class, bar none. But, while that makes for fun highlights, it's simply not as valuable in the NFL in 2020 as it was even a decade ago.

What that leaves is a large, intimidating defensive tackle with easy-to-see strength and an advancing yet not loaded arsenal of pass-rushing moves with well below-average athleticism for the position. For as disruptive as Brown was during his illustrious career at Auburn, the odds are now firmly against him becoming a star (pass-rusher) in the NFL.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...or-derrick-brown-and-other-notable-prospects/

That is what I see when I watch him. A run stuffer. A great run stuffer.. But still a run stuffer.

Pocket pusher, gap splitter, pass better downer. Man, you're evaluating a DT/NT type as you would a DE.

Disruption of the LOS. That's what you're missing.

kskboys

Reaction score
If he slips past 10, I'm trading up. This dude is truly worth giving up extra picks for.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Pocket pusher, gap splitter, pass better downer. Man, you're evaluating a DT/NT type as you would a DE.

Disruption of the LOS. That's what you're missing.

Yes I do.. I want pressure players on the DL in the 1st round.

I can find Non-Pressure players all over the draft and free agency.. We're looking for impact for and against the passing game in round 1. At least we should be.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes I do.. I want pressure players on the DL in the 1st round.

I can find Non-Pressure players all over the draft and free agency.. We're looking for impact for and against the passing game in round 1. At least we should be.
I think Brown provides that impact.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Wrong. I haven't missed a game in years, maybe you have.
OH WATCH THE GAMES COOL GOOD ARGUMENT

Explosive runs allowed - right edge (Quinn), 15. LG/RG, 7. C, 9. Left Edge, 5, and it doesn't filter out draws/qb runs, which is when they have problems.

This doesn't filter out QB scrambles or account for the fact that Dallas' LBs couldn't fit for a run to save their lives last year. Runs up the middle aren't a problem.

People act like teams are going "I-Right 21 Dive" and having success running the ball against Dallas. They're not, not even a little bit.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Explosive runs allowed - right edge (Quinn), 15. LG/RG, 7. C, 9. Left Edge, 5, and it doesn't filter out draws/qb runs, which is when they have problems.

This doesn't filter out QB scrambles or account for the fact that Dallas' LBs couldn't fit for a run to save their lives last year. Runs up the middle aren't a problem.

People act like teams are going "I-Right 21 Dive" and having success running the ball against Dallas. They're not, not even a little bit.

It's that stupid Rams game.

That game makes me so mad because we were one of the best Run D's in the league that year and the Rams were one of the worst and since we got ran all over people are desperate for D Tackles that stuff the run because the Rams had some big names at D tackle.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If I took the time to research the games, I could name several from 2018 and 2019, but I'm at work and can't do that right now. I do remember the Rams game at the end of 2018. I remember us getting pounded up the middle and around the ends. Did you watch that game? Also the Colts game, I believe.

kskboys

Reaction score

That game makes me so mad because we were one of the best Run D's in the league that year and the Rams were one of the worst and since we got ran all over people are desperate for D Tackles that stuff the run because the Rams had some big names at D tackle.
I do understand. That game was just stupid.

However, this cat is like having a BJ Raji(Before he got lazy). Brown is a guy who can change a game w/ his disruption. This is a classic case of "He doesn't get the sack, but he causes others to get the sack along w/ batting down passes and making everyone around him better."

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If I took the time to research the games, I could name several from 2018 and 2019, but I'm at work and can't do that right now. I do remember the Rams game at the end of 2018. I remember us getting pounded up the middle and around the ends. Did you watch that game? Also the Colts game that year.

@Future

Lol, told you.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I do understand. That game was just stupid.

However, this cat is like having a BJ Raji(Before he got lazy). Brown is a guy who can change a game w/ his disruption. This is a classic case of "He doesn't get the sack, but he causes others to get the sack along w/ batting down passes and making everyone around him better."

I'd love to have Brown on the team. I just hate investing a 1st round pick into what he is good at and thinking in 5 years I have to potentially pay him a bunch of money to stuff the run and get 4 or 5 sacks a season if we're lucky.

kskboys

Reaction score
If I took the time to research the games, I could name several from 2018 and 2019, but I'm at work and can't do that right now. I do remember the Rams game at the end of 2018. I remember us getting pounded up the middle and around the ends. Did you watch that game? Also the Colts game that year.

With the way our DMiddle is/was built, here's the problem. We'd either stop them for a loss or they'd break loose for a 17 yard gain. -4 + 17 = 13. That's a first down.

I saw this play out many many times.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
If I took the time to research the games, I could name several from 2018 and 2019, but I'm at work and can't do that right now. I do remember the Rams game at the end of 2018. I remember us getting pounded up the middle and around the ends. Did you watch that game? Also the Colts game, I believe.
Well no you can't. B/c the idea that they get pounded up the middle is a myth. It happens to every team once in a while.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score

Lol, it always will be.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'd love to have Brown on the team. I just hate investing a 1st round pick into what he is good at and thinking in 5 years I have to potentially pay him a bunch of money to stuff the run and get 4 or 5 sacks a season if we're lucky.
You can say that about almost any player/position!!!!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You can say that about almost any player/position!!!!

What? No...

I know going in what certain players are good at.

I know if I sign Robert Quinn it's not to improve my run defense.

I know if I draft Derrick Brown it's not to improve my pass rush.