Derrick Brown possibly being on the board at 17

Jake0

Reaction score
Might want to check how big the drop off is from Brown to DaVon Hamilton or Leki Fotu or something. Fotu has some medical issue though I think. Maybe check DB dropoffs that are in the 2nd-4th rnd range if you compare with taking CJ Henderson or something like that instead. Who would you take and who would you get in a later round that is a different position because of it.

visionary

Reaction score
I really don't know the prospects yet, but an interior lineman is my number one wish list heading into the draft. Heck, two interior lineman will be better.

I have no idea if Vander Esch and Jaylon will ever be healthy and as productive as they were two years ago. Although, having top end talent in front of them, will make it much easier to evaluate both.

there are a few posters on CZ who don’t understand football and keep arguing against drafting or signing DTs and keep wanting to build a team of WRs and CBs only

best to leave them to their ignorance

Reaction score
Because I don’t think it’s the best idea to use your most premium draft pick on a run stuffer?

Maybe, just maybe, a 324-pounder with "easy to see strength" and "tremendous block-shedding laterally to go along with stellar tackling reliability" who "was disruptive at his illustrious career at Auburn" can learn a couple of pass rushing moves with pro coaching. I'd take this guy in a heartbeat at 17. Rod is the only one who would not.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Brownis a kind of guy this Defense needs but i would rather have Kinlaw who will be a difference maker.

dallas72

Reaction score
I think he’s going to be selected closer to 17 than most think. I think he’s a stud, but top 10 DTs are usually players teams think can be a dominant pass rusher.

I think Kinlaw will go first.
Ya Kinlaw w 2 bad arthritis knees lol...Brown having his pro day & will he a top 7 pick

DanA

Reaction score
No question I would take Brown at 17 over any other likely option. He makes the quarterback play two steps further back and if you've got Quinn and Lawrence on the edge that enough to cause real problems. I don't think any player makes a bigger impact on this team than Brown.

Iago33

Reaction score
I don't think defense is a problem, from a talent perspective, but I think a lack of playmakers on offense is a problem.

I want to sign Cooper AND draft a WR. #1 priority for every team in the league should be building a dominant pass offense, independent of how good the run game is. When you can do that, you put your defense in a much better position, and can get away with a defense that is less talented, but doesn't have to be so risk averse b/c there's a slim margin.

Dallas under JG tried to keep everything close and then win games late. That doesn't work with any consistency in today's NFL, and with the way the rules are, you don't need a run game. Build a dynamic passing offense, and everything else easily falls into place.
I appreciate the response. I agree with you about the desire to have an explosive offense, but we’ve committed ourselves to Zeke’s and need to find ways to use him and Pollard instead. I can’t see devoting more resources to O because I have more concern about the talent on D than you do. I think our defense has been the main thing holding us back for the last 15 years, not the O. I also have more hope that scheme change will improve the offense than I do the defense. I have hopes for McCarthy but little for Nolan. Maybe you feel the opposite since we kept Kellen.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes I do.. I want pressure players on the DL in the 1st round.

I can find Non-Pressure players all over the draft and free agency.. We're looking for impact for and against the passing game in round 1. At least we should be.
He's a pressure player.

So, now you want him?

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Brown is a monster. Doesn’t have the athleticism of Fletcher Cox, but even double teamed he has shown that he can take over games. I don’t expect him to be there at 17. But I thought Vea was a top 5 prospect and he fell. I would love to have him, but there is a valid question as to whether he fits the profile of the kind of interior player we would take.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I appreciate the response. I agree with you about the desire to have an explosive offense, but we’ve committed ourselves to Zeke’s and need to find ways to use him and Pollard instead. I can’t see devoting more resources to O because I have more concern about the talent on D than you do. I think our defense has been the main thing holding us back for the last 15 years, not the O. I also have more hope that scheme change will improve the offense than I do the defense. I have hopes for McCarthy but little for Nolan. Maybe you feel the opposite since we kept Kellen.
They lost to the saints and Patriots without giving up a offensive touchdown. The defense carried them in 2018. The offense has been the problem for the entire jg era.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Because I don’t think it’s the best idea to use your most premium draft pick on a run stuffer?

You won't have to worry about this because he's not going to be there at 17, because unlike the Cowboys, other teams actually value big guys in the middle that clog up holes.

But I'm glad you're on board with signing Cooper big money while bargain bin shopping for D-line players again. Exactly what is your problem with Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett again? You'd be just like them running a team. lol

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You won't have to worry about this because he's not going to be there at 17, because unlike the Cowboys, other teams actually value big guys in the middle that clog up holes.

But I'm glad you're on board with signing Cooper big money while bargain bin shopping for D-line players again. Exactly what is your problem with Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett again? You'd be just like them running a team. lol

I like the player.. I just don’t put premium value on what he does..

The Marinelli system flat out wouldn’t want him.. I still want him.

In this salary cap game you can find what he does for cheap.. Maybe Snacks Harrison is available again since the NFL doesn’t value one of their better run stuffers.

Amari Cooper? How did he get brought into this? I’ve been Pom Pom’ing Byron Jones on this forum.

The problem with Cooper is our QB isn’t good without him and his plays directly effects our W & L column.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score

In this salary cap game you can find what he does for cheap.. Maybe Snacks Harrison is available again since the NFL doesn’t value one of their better run stuffers.

Amari Cooper? How did he get brought into this? I’ve been Pom Pom’ing Byron Jones on this forum.

The problem with Cooper is our QB isn’t good without him and his plays directly effects our W & L column.
No, you cannot find what he does for cheap.

kskboys

Reaction score
Brown is a monster. Doesn’t have the athleticism of Fletcher Cox, but even double teamed he has shown that he can take over games. I don’t expect him to be there at 17. But I thought Vea was a top 5 prospect and he fell. I would love to have him, but there is a valid question as to whether he fits the profile of the kind of interior player we would take.
His upside is considered possibly better than Cox.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
A true dominate run stuffing, massive NT is certainly worth a 1st round selection. The Packers drafted B.J. Raji in the top 10, Vince Wilfork was in the top 20 to name a few. Nolan wants to run more of a hybrid scheme, finding a true NT is priority #1.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
A true dominate run stuffing, massive NT is certainly worth a 1st round selection. The Packers drafted B.J. Raji in the top 10, Vince Wilfork was in the top 20 to name a few. Nolan wants to run more of a hybrid scheme, finding a true NT is priority #1.

You guys still think in terms of old NFL football..

It’s a passing league.. Do you think Patrick Mahomes cares 1 bit about a guy that stops the run.

When teams run the ball it’s a win for the defense. Running doesn’t lead to points. It’s a passing league.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

Snacks Harrison has injury problems, that's why he's on the market again. And so many teams wouldn't be going for him if it was so easy to find.

You are comparing Brown to generational DTs. He's a top 10 talent.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You guys still think in terms of old NFL football..

It’s a passing league.. Do you think Patrick Mahomes cares 1 bit about a guy that stops the run.

When teams run the ball it’s a win for the defense. Running doesn’t lead to points. It’s a passing league.

It's not either/or, dude. You still have to stop the run....which is why teams still run the freakin' ball. I can't even grasp the logic here. Stopping the run forces the pass, forcing the pass creates predictability.

If Brown is there at 17, you don't think twice about it, you take him.