Derrick Henry

blueblood70

Reaction score
NO. The answer hasn't changed. Don't pay 30 year old RB's. Put the money into the OL and draft a RB.
Exactly and I don't know if some of these guys like saquon Barkley Henry and Jacobs would come in on a small guaranteed contract and then play for all the incentives they can earn the money back by playing time and production but if they were to get injured and whatnot they wouldn't be able to earn that money I might bring one of those guys on but I doubt that's what they're looking for......

I think now more than ever we're up against the salary cap have to restructure a lot of contracts it will be a poor decision to pay one of these guys even $8 million a year when you can go into the draft and get a guy like them probably in the second or third round and I'd rather do that...

Big_D

Reaction score
You can pay them, you just don't pay them a lot.
They’re probably looking at around a 5 mil dollar cap hit for 24 on a 2 year deal. Very doable and you can still draft a RB. I think people are under the assumption he’s getting 16 a year or whatever Zeke’s numbers were at the time. Or even 10 plus.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
No thank you. Do not sign Henry. Sign one of the younger guys with less mileage.
Henry is not a power runner inside. He lumbers through the line. His speed and power are on display when he hits the second level. If we don’t block any better for him than we have for other backs recently, Henry will be a big disappointment. He is not hard to bring down behind the line before he gets going. We need a tough inside runner with sharp moves and jump cuts. For what we are as an OL. We need a Pacheco type.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Henry has been used and abused in Ten...he's been their entire offense for like the past 5 years. You saw the wheels starting to come off a bit last year. It will be worse this year. He's a good RBBC option if he's super cheap, but he won't be.

Big_D

Reaction score
No thank you. Do not sign Henry. Sign one of the younger guys with less mileage.
Henry is not a power runner inside. He lumbers through the line. His speed and power are on display when he hits the second level. If we don’t block any better for him than we have for other backs recently, Henry will be a big disappointment. He is not hard to bring down behind the line before he gets going. We need a tough inside runner with sharp moves and jump cuts. For what we are as an OL. We need a Pacheco type.
Pacheco type? lol We also need a Mahomes type!

Titans have one of the worst Olines in football, if not the worst.

tunahelper

Reaction score
He had a rookie QB and zero weapons over there. Still double digit TDs. There’s not a single rookie coming in and giving you that right off the bat. The guy is on another planet and the only 30 year old RB you could gamble on.

And you can still draft a RB.
This team needs a back that can move the chains and keep the offense out of 3rd and longs. I would pay him well on a 1 year deal if he would take it.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I feel like we're experiencing what comes first, "the chicken or the egg?" Is it our O-line that needs improving with better players and/or scheme, or do we need better RB's? Chicken or egg?? :huh:

blueblood70

Reaction score
I feel like we're experiencing what comes first, "the chicken or the egg?" Is it our O-line that needs improving with better players and/or scheme, or do we need better RB's? Chicken or egg?? :huh:
Well here's the thing guys like Ezekiel Elliott and Henry can have great rookie seasons right out of the draft do you use the money on offensive line say improve the center , one that has great run blocking ability that doesn't get pushed back often into the backfield because as much as I like Tyler biotest he moves well in his own type run scheme but he gets pushed upright and moved back to too often we need to do it with a little bit more power in his lower body.....

So you go cheaper at running back which makes more sense because they wear out faster and then you either in free agency or even in the draft you get a center but if you're going to spend the money I'd rather spend it on a linebacker defensive tackle or center in free agency.....
So in the second round you should start looking for the best power back with the least amount of mileage on them that could be day one be your starter...

Big_D

Reaction score
This team needs a back that can move the chains and keep the offense out of 3rd and longs. I would pay him well on a 1 year deal if he would take it.
I think they can agree to a good deal for both parties.

Mr_437

Reaction score
It all starts with the blocking scheme. The last RB that excelled in spite of his OL was Barry Sanders. Mike Shanahan proved this with the Broncos having success with like 5 different RBs.

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
Watching last year our line really seemed to struggle run blocking. We def have more of a pass blocking line.

I think resources would be better served upgrading the line.

Big_D

Reaction score
It all starts with the blocking scheme. The last RB that excelled in spite of his OL was Barry Sanders. Mike Shanahan proved this with the Broncos having success with like 5 different RBs.
Yet Kyle Shanahan went out and paid a RB top dollar. I think this talk of blocking schemes is very overblown considering we won’t see a huge change here. Yet people talk like we’re getting 5 new guys up front who will suddenly block like they’re the 98 Broncos. Then any RB will simply do the trick. Seems like very wishful thanking around here.

kskboys

Reaction score
Would have to change the run game to fit Henry
Almost impossible to explain this to people. Henry is a terrible short yardage back. Very slow to the hole. On the flipside, he's the best openfield runner I've ever seen in my life. Dude is a freight train once he gets going.

So, the only way to use him is to give him the handoff very deep in the backfield so he has time to get trucking. The teams that have held him to nothing make sure to tackle him soon after the handoff, which renders him toothless.

visionary

Reaction score
Dak cannot carry the team in pressure situations, to win with him we need a run game where we can run even when the opposition knows we will run. The sooner we understand this the better

We need a real C in rd 1/2. Someone who can anchor against top DTs and is smart.

We also need 2 RBs of starting caliber
1 via FA like Henry or Moss
1 via draft in rd 3 like Allen or Estime

Then we have a prayer, otherwise forget it

Creeper

Reaction score
I like Henry and maybe he has another year left in him, but if Jerry is going to open the checkbook for the first time in years, let it be for an impact DT please.

Big_D

Reaction score
Dak cannot carry the team in pressure situations, to win with him we need a run game where we can run even when the opposition knows we will run. The sooner we understand this the better

We need a real C in rd 1/2. Someone who can anchor against top DTs and is smart.

We also need 2 RBs of starting caliber
1 via FA like Henry or Moss
1 via draft in rd 3 like Allen or Estime

Then we have a prayer, otherwise forget it
This is a great plan and very attainable. And would help the QB tremendously, specially in January!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It makes a lot of sense for both parties and 30 year old RBs usually don't break the bank and are short term deals.

I would support a Henry signing, but I also think it would be important to draft a younger back to pair with him.
Yea, this makes too much sense. Sign Henry for a lesser contract for maybe 2 years and still draft a RB like in 2nd or 3d round .