Detroit Lions Had a Sick Draft

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The Lions picked up some really nice players this draft, which I think makes them a contender over the next few years. They got Gibbs, Captain Jack, Brian Branch, Sam Laporta, Hendon Hooker, and Antoine Green (a player who Timb2 turned me on to).

I see them on the rise.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
They got good players but at really low-value positions and didn't do much to actually get better. Gibbs and LaPorta are just backfill for Swift and Hockenson.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
They got good players but at really low-value positions and didn't do much to actually get better. Gibbs and LaPorta are just backfill for Swift and Hockenson.
You can say that. But they got a QB who I think could end up being very good. LB is also more important than people realize. It takes a team.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You can say that. But they got a QB who I think could end up being very good. LB is also more important than people realize. It takes a team.
He's not going to be good year 1. This draft might pan out 3 years from now, but they're no better today than they were at the end of last year.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Gibbs was a huge waste IMO. But I like the Lions' other guys, and they can easily justify their draft positions.

• I am the biggest Jack Campbell homer on the internet. As a prospect, I think he's very comparable to Tremaine Edmunds and LVE, sort of mega-sized, super athletic Mike backers. Edmunds went #16, and LVE went #18, so I am stunned that people call Campbell a reach at #18. Shoot, he is better than the two LBs that went in the 20s last year. Tremaine's earning $20M a year now, Roquon Smith is making $20M, I can see Campbell becoming that level of a player.
  • LaPorta is such a good receiver, and a super easy projection. The positional value puts a ceiling on his potential - he's not Kelce - but he's a safe bet to become a $10M/yr Evan Engram, Hunter Henry type of player.
  • I don't like Branch a ton, because speed is such a big deal for DBs. But at #45, come on. He's worth a shot at that point.
  • Hooker's a worthy dart throw. I am not his biggest fan, but he has starting QB tools in the 3rd round. In a league where Daniel Jones earns $40M, Hooker will return eye-bleeding value if he hits. The risk vs reward lines up there, and the Lions had enough draft picks to gamble. I like the process.

GIbbs was the one pick that I thought was egregious. He's worth like $12M/yr max if he balls out and becomes an All-Pro. A LT like Broderick Jones can match that if he's just an OK starter. Same with a CB like Gonzalez. And if Gibbs is just a decent, Miles Sanders type RB, that's only worth $6M/yr. That was incredible mismanagement by the Lions.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
Gibbs was a huge waste IMO. But I like the Lions' other guys, and they can easily justify their draft positions.

• I am the biggest Jack Campbell homer on the internet. As a prospect, I think he's very comparable to Tremaine Edmunds and LVE, sort of mega-sized, super athletic Mike backers. Edmunds went #16, and LVE went #18, so I am stunned that people call Campbell a reach at #18. Shoot, he is better than the two LBs that went in the 20s last year. Tremaine's earning $20M a year now, Roquon Smith is making $20M, I can see Campbell becoming that level of a player.
  • LaPorta is such a good receiver, and a super easy projection. The positional value puts a ceiling on his potential - he's not Kelce - but he's a safe bet to become a $10M/yr Evan Engram, Hunter Henry type of player.
  • I don't like Branch a ton, because speed is such a big deal for DBs. But at #45, come on. He's worth a shot at that point.
  • Hooker's a worthy dart throw. I am not his biggest fan, but he has starting QB tools in the 3rd round. In a league where Daniel Jones earns $40M, Hooker will return eye-bleeding value if he hits. The risk vs reward lines up there, and the Lions had enough draft picks to gamble. I like the process.

GIbbs was the one pick that I thought was egregious. He's worth like $12M/yr max if he balls out and becomes an All-Pro. A LT like Broderick Jones can match that if he's just an OK starter. Same with a CB like Gonzalez. And if Gibbs is just a decent, Miles Sanders type RB, that's only worth $6M/yr. That was incredible mismanagement by the Lions.
Gibbs will be more of a slot receiver type of RB. Look for him to catch 60 passes. I wouldn't have taken him that high either, but he's electric if used properly. Could be a major weapon.

Lions also added Emmanual Mosely CB, CJ Gardner-Johnson S, and Cameron Sutton CB for their DB backfield. Completely remade.

I'm not claiming they're going to be some juggernaut, but the Lions improved drastically. Gibbs/Montgomery might easily be the best RB combo in the NFL, and Gibbs might be the best receiving RB.

rambo2

Reaction score
The Lions picked up some really nice players this draft, which I think makes them a contender over the next few years. They got Gibbs, Captain Jack, Brian Branch, Sam Laporta, Hendon Hooker, and Antoine Green (a player who Timb2 turned me on to).

I see them on the rise.

I agree 100 percent.

PackersNation

Reaction score
Gibbs will be more of a slot receiver type of RB. Look for him to catch 60 passes. I wouldn't have taken him that high either, but he's electric if used properly. Could be a major weapon.

Lions also added Emmanual Mosely CB, CJ Gardner-Johnson S, and Cameron Sutton CB for their DB backfield. Completely remade.

I'm not claiming they're going to be some juggernaut, but the Lions improved drastically. Gibbs/Montgomery might easily be the best RB combo in the NFL, and Gibbs might be the best receiving RB.
I see the OP missed the Packers draft, and you obviously forgot about the actual best RB combo in the NFL, which is Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I see them on the rise.

They added talent, but I dont think they did well for where they were drafting. Could have been alot better. I like Gibbs but 12 is wayyyy high for him. Campbell was a reach, and very bad value at 18. He will be a decent player, but he a box MLB who doesnt rush the passer or create TO's. If you arent either, you need to special to be a top 20 pick at MLB. Campbell is not. They probably should have taken one of the WR's and hedge their bet on Williams. JSN was right there

Day 2 was pretty solid, but they botched day 1 badly

PackersNation

Reaction score
And how did that work out for you last year?
You can ban me from the site. I'm certainly going to give it right back to Cowboys fans that want to get triggered when I state that the Packers have a better roster than the Lions. It's amusing really.

Yes, the Packers had one disappointing season. Still the Kings Of The North.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You can ban me from the site. I'm certainly going to give it right back to Cowboys fans that want to get triggered when I state that the Packers have a better roster than the Lions. It's amusing really.

Yes, the Packers had one disappointing season. Still the Kings Of The North.
The idea that they are "Kings of the North" when a) they aren't right now and b) they don't have a proven QB is pretty much a blind guess.

PackersNation

Reaction score
The idea that they are "Kings of the North" when a) they aren't right now and b) they don't have a proven QB is pretty much a blind guess.
We will just go from when the NFC North started in 2002. The Packers owned the NFC Central as well. But 12 titles since 2002 makes the Packers still the Kings Of The North.

I find it amusing that the Packers go 8-9 one season..and that record is caused by the complete crap show Aaron put on last season, and suddenly the Packers suck.

You are aware the Packers are so confident in and excited about J-Love that they felt very comfortable, almost giddy, about dumping Aaron on the Jets.

We will go with the Packers front office, and coaching staff over what Cowboys fans feel.