Detroit Lions Had a Sick Draft

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Gibbs was a huge waste IMO. But I like the Lions' other guys, and they can easily justify their draft positions.

• I am the biggest Jack Campbell homer on the internet. As a prospect, I think he's very comparable to Tremaine Edmunds and LVE, sort of mega-sized, super athletic Mike backers. Edmunds went #16, and LVE went #18, so I am stunned that people call Campbell a reach at #18. Shoot, he is better than the two LBs that went in the 20s last year. Tremaine's earning $20M a year now, Roquon Smith is making $20M, I can see Campbell becoming that level of a player.
  • LaPorta is such a good receiver, and a super easy projection. The positional value puts a ceiling on his potential - he's not Kelce - but he's a safe bet to become a $10M/yr Evan Engram, Hunter Henry type of player.
  • I don't like Branch a ton, because speed is such a big deal for DBs. But at #45, come on. He's worth a shot at that point.
  • Hooker's a worthy dart throw. I am not his biggest fan, but he has starting QB tools in the 3rd round. In a league where Daniel Jones earns $40M, Hooker will return eye-bleeding value if he hits. The risk vs reward lines up there, and the Lions had enough draft picks to gamble. I like the process.

GIbbs was the one pick that I thought was egregious. He's worth like $12M/yr max if he balls out and becomes an All-Pro. A LT like Broderick Jones can match that if he's just an OK starter. Same with a CB like Gonzalez. And if Gibbs is just a decent, Miles Sanders type RB, that's only worth $6M/yr. That was incredible mismanagement by the Lions.
I think you pretty much nailed it. I think Gibbs ends up being a player though.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I see the OP missed the Packers draft, and you obviously forgot about the actual best RB combo in the NFL, which is Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon.
Why are you on a Cowboys board trying to convince us tha Paaackers are so good?

We don't care about Wiscaaanson.

kskboys

Reaction score
Here is the exact quote, just so everyone is clear why I brought up Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon.

We will revisit this thread later in the season, for all those here that think the Lions are the best team in the NFC North.

K, I'm done here. Why I gave this attention is beyond me.

Have a great day!
Awesome. Did you figure out exactly how you missed the word "might"?

PackersNation

Reaction score
Why are you on a Cowboys board trying to convince us tha Paaackers are so good?

We don't care about Wiscaaanson.
Is that how people in Texas with no teeth in their mouth say Wisconsin? I have not been to Texas since 2011. Mostly Packers fans, celebs, and a few Steelers fans when I was there for a week. Didn't meet too many from Texas, most of the natives were not allowed entry in the Super Bowl parties and other festivities going on that week. Not sure how they speak, now I know, cool.

It was strange having to drive 20 minutes from Dallas where our hotel and the most of the events were to the stadium. The weather was so awful in Texas, that it was really annoying to have to make that long trek. I am not surprised Dallas has not been awarded another Super Bowl since.

Great time though, raising the Lombardi in Arlington or whatever the name of that town is, was fantastic!

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Is that how people in Texas with no teeth in their mouth say Wisconsin? I have not been to Texas since 2011. Mostly Packers fans, celebs, and a few Steelers fans when I was there for a week. Didn't meet too many from Texas, most of the natives were not allowed entry in the Super Bowl parties and other festivities going on that week. Not sure how they speak, now I know, cool.

It was strange having to drive 20 minutes from Dallas where our hotel and the most of the events were to the stadium. The weather was so awful in Texas, that it was really annoying to have to make that long trek. I am not surprised Dallas has not been awarded another Super Bowl since.

Great time though, raising the Lombardi in Arlington or whatever the name of that town is, was fantastic!
Do you love your Paaackers?

PackersNation

Reaction score
I play on a rec kickball team
Are you 7? Seriously though, the last time I played "kickball" was in the 2nd grade.

Perhaps that explains a lot about this fan forum. I am at least 3 decades older than most of the members here.

I know it's been 3 decades since the Cowboys won anything, but I wasn't aware that many of you weren't even alive for the 1996 Super Bowl.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I play on a rec kickball team with two Wisconsin transplants, and I can hear that clear as day.
No harm in playing sports in your old age. And yeah, I worked with a lady from Wiscaaanson. And she loved her Paaackers.

Every day.

So glad I'm not there anymore. She was the most annoying co-worker of all-time. They just never shut up.

PackersNation

Reaction score
They haven't tried.
Not what Jerry Jones said. He blamed the "snubbing" on other teams building new stadiums since 2011.

Jerry tries to get the Super Bowl to Dallas every year. You really think Jerry has been kicking back saying: "Nah, we don't want the Super Bowl in Dallas."

Too funny

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Are you 7? Seriously though, the last time I played "kickball" was in the 2nd grade.

Perhaps that explains a lot about this fan forum. I am at least 3 decades older than most of the members here.

I know it's been 3 decades since the Cowboys won anything, but I wasn't aware that many of you weren't even alive for the 1996 Super Bowl.
Strong username to post ratio.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Cheese melts in Texas, and you make a lot of assumptions about forum member here.

PackersNation

Reaction score
Where did you get this information from?
Why Big D and Jerry Jones have been snubbed from hosting a Super Bowl since 2011:

"The debacle in Big D" in 2011 didn't help Jerry Jones and the DFW area in getting awarded another Super Bowl.

The weather in Dallas was bad, and the response was even worse. The Metroplex was stuck in a deep freeze. The roads were iced over and crews were not prepared for it. Accidents everywhere. Bridges and major highway connectors were impassable at times.

Ice and snow slid off the roof of the stadium and seriously injured 7 people.

Temporary seats were added but were deemed not safe before the game. People that paid massive amounts of money to have a seat in the stadium did not have a seat in the stadium. Thousands of lawsuits followed.

Jerry Jones of course wants as many Super Bowls in Dallas as he can possibly get, but Jerry has given other excuses for being snubbed.

Jerry Jones: "What we've really run into is the NFL likes to, when you build a new stadium, they really like to take that market and give it a big bump that goes with that new stadium and have a Super Bowl in that area. I think that more than anything, the building of new stadiums, has kept us from having another one sooner than we have."

Jerry's excuse for not getting another Super Bowl really doesn't hold water, because the Super Bowl has been in cities without brand new stadiums since 2011. And cities like New Orleans more than once in the last ten years. The Super Bowl will again be in New Orleans in 2025.