CFZ Deuce deserves the chance he’s getting with the Cowboys

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I posted this in another thread but I think it’s worthy of its own. Especially since I’m seeing some folk who think he was a wasted draft pick. Now I don’t know if he’s going to make the team or not although I expect he will. But anyone who doesn’t think he deserves a shot is ignorant.

• 2021-22 Consensus All-American
• 2022 First Team All-American [all-purpose] (AP, AFCA, Sporting News, The Athletic)
• 2022 All-Big 12 First Team [all-purpose] (Associated Press)
• 2022 All-Big 12 Second Team (Coaches, Associated Press)
• 2022 Honorable Mention Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year (Coaches)
• 2022 Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Player of the Week (Oklahoma State)
• 2022 Walter Camp Award watch list
• 2022 Second Team Academic All-Big 12
• 2021 First Team All-American (Pro Football Focus)
• 2021 First Team All-American [all-purpose] (Associated Press)
• 2021 First Team All-American [athlete] (Sporting News)
• 2021 Second Team All-American [all-purpose] (CBS Sports, AFCA)
• 2021 Second Team All-American (USA TODAY)
• 2021 Honorable Mention All-American (Phil Steele)
• 2021-22 Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Finalist
• 2021-22 Doak Walker Award Semifinalist
• 2021 Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year (Pro Football Focus)
• 2020-21 Second Team All-Big 12 (Coaches, Associated Press)
• 2021 Honorable Mention Big 12 Off. Player of the Year (Coaches)
• 2021 CoSIDA First Team Academic All-District
• 2021 First Team Academic All-Big 12
• 2021-22 Maxwell Award watch list
• 2021 Doak Walker Award watch list
• 2020 Honorable Mention All-American (Phil Steele, Pro Football Focus)
• 2020 True Freshman of the Year (247Sports)
• 2020 Freshman All-American (FWAA, The Athletic)
• 2020 Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Semifinalist
• 2020 Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year (Coaches)
• 2020 Big 12 Newcomer of the Week (Oklahoma, Texas Tech)
Geez, I hope he has a big trophy case!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The Cowboys will find a role for him, but he’s not going to get near as many touches/carries as some fans are predicting and hoping for. I’ve seen posts where fans are predicting he’ll get 15+ carries or at least that many touches per game and at least one fan believes he’ll overtake Pollard as our lead back. None of the above will happen. Now I’ll sit back and watch someone twist my words, claiming I said Vaughn sucks and won’t be any good. :popcorn:
Whaddya mean Vaughn sucks and won't be any good???

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Agreed but let's all make sure we are real here...he's very small compared to the guys that are going to be tackling him and while he has the skills the size limitation may impeded him in the NFL...rooting for the kid in so many ways but history is not on his side.
I'm thinking more about his blocking. If he isn't exceptional at blocking guys much, much bigger than him, then his snaps will be limited mostly to plays in which he's getting the ball, and defenses will catch on pretty quickly.

Patrick

Reaction score
I feel for Deuce, if he was 5'9" he very well may have been the second back off the board and be making millions right now.

But the kid is a football player, he's all heart and pure talent. He could be a steal in the draft, or be a story that could have been.

I hope he becomes the best version of himself he can be, whether it be in Dallas or elsewhere. Nothing but respect for that young man.

Jipper

Reaction score
I'm thinking more about his blocking. If he isn't exceptional at blocking guys much, much bigger than him, then his snaps will be limited mostly to plays in which he's getting the ball, and defenses will catch on pretty quickly.
yeah, that as well....kinda hard to use a player to do a fake when the opposing team knows its only a fake if hes on the field....lets hope he is a bulldog

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I think he could be good. His helmet/shoulder will be right in their crotch.
Perfect blocking position. Just gotta be ruthless about it.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His helmet/shoulder will be right in their crotch.
Perfect blocking position.
gopher.gif

CCBoy

Reaction score
yeah, that as well....kinda hard to use a player to do a fake when the opposing team knows its only a fake if hes on the field....lets hope he is a bulldog
He can take the physical side...can you?

Jipper

Reaction score
He can take the physical side...can you?

im a 6 foot 225 personal trainer, former body buidler and all american NCAA swimmer - i can am sure i could handle a sizeable load but obviously when the pads come on its different vs in the gym. Also - there are plenty of guys at the gym that can make me look weak, as there are plenty that i can do the same to...always someone bigger and stronger...hence why you hear the phrase leave your ego at the door

Its ok to say that a 5 foot 5 180 pound man is not as strong as a 6 foot 200 pound man and that they have different centers of gravity and skill sets. I have seen plenty of smaller guys that are much stronger and have better strength to body weight ratios (as i am sure Deuce has)....but at the end of the day, there is a reason they put a 300 pound guy outside of the club as the bouncer....

Havic

Reaction score
im a 6 foot 225 personal trainer, former body buidler and all american NCAA swimmer - i can am sure i could handle a sizeable load but obviously when the pads come on its different vs in the gym. Also - there are plenty of guys at the gym that can make me look weak, as there are plenty that i can do the same to...always someone bigger and stronger...hence why you hear the phrase leave your ego at the door

Its ok to say that a 5 foot 5 180 pound man is not as strong as a 6 foot 200 pound man and that they have different centers of gravity and skill sets. I have seen plenty of smaller guys that are much stronger and have better strength to body weight ratios (as i am sure Deuce has)....but at the end of the day, there is a reason they put a 300 pound guy outside of the club as the bouncer....
Big difference between gym shape and football shape 100%. You can look the part but your body cannot hold up over the course of a season, especially as you age. Deuce is a guy that will have to know how to protect himself.

Scotman

Reaction score
6th Round COMP pick, right? We've gambled on guys with no production, guys with no brains, guys with serious character flaws, and guys with missing legs. I'm all about taking a shot on a guy with every single thing you could want except size.

Will he make the team and contribute in a positive way? The 211 picks before his think not. But I'm all about taking this kind of gamble where he was taken. 100% on board with Deuce and won't be surprised one bit if he's a contributor on this team for years to come.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Been that way his entire life.

He is used to it.
He's been used to having a few guys on a defense being much bigger and stronger than him. Now, just about everyone will be. I'm not saying he can't handle it, hopefully he's Atom Ant, but the pros is definitely a bigger challenge.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

While I agree with most of your post, the reason the bouncers are so big is so they don't get challenged. Guys like you and me can kick butt, but guys that size don't have to, which is what most bar owners prefer.

CCBoy

Reaction score

I attended the Master Fitness Trainer Course at Fort Ben Harrison, in Indianapolis, IN during the Pan Am Games. I leg pressed over 1200 pounds and moved 500 in the bench press. I worked out with a group of Tankers and we had a 160 pounder who worked out in his squat at 650. A man is a man and don't sell a man short by size.

As to 300, that is a convenience for take downs...cuffs and leg irons are another story involved description.

Jipper

Reaction score
While I agree with most of your post, the reason the bouncers are so big is so they don't get challenged. Guys like you and me can kick butt, but guys that size don't have to, which is what most bar owners prefer.

agreed, and thats why the f around and find out statment is very valid!!!

i just worry that hes going to run into limitations that his heart and training cant overcome, but i hope he proves us (or me at least) wrong