CFZ Deuce deserves the chance he’s getting with the Cowboys

blueblood70

Reaction score
Been that way his entire life.

He is used to it.
Right for some reason this fan base thinks that he's never went up against big defensive tackles and linebackers I mean didn't he play in the Big 12 and run pretty damn well against Oklahoma and Texas and beyond the Big 12 championship that beat TCU who was undefeated as well as really had some big plays against Alabama.

Are we saying that none of those teams have big athletic defenders?? They act like this dude came from some Division Three Saint Mary's JV team and that somehow, he needs like a shot, and he has very little chance..

We know a guy like Kevonte Turpin had to take the long road to get to the nfl, more for some things that went on in his personal life and whatnot but he made his way to the NFL.. I already think deuce Vaughn is already going to be a more polished player than Turpin.

Bagman

Reaction score
I agree he won’t be getting near that many touches. He’s 5’5” 160. He’s been in on some screen passes so far in camp so I’m sure we’ll see some of that and other similar plays.
Its all semantics at this point, but back in April at the Combine, he measured 5'6" and 176. He's still a Hobbit but slightly bigger. Lol

kskboys

Reaction score
There are many great, successful college players whose abilities and/or physical traits do not translate well into the pro game.

It has nothing to do with desire, motivation, or commitment. Sports competition sometimes has to be cruel to be real, that's all.

I am rooting for Deuce Vaughn. He's a great story. That is to say, his story as a potential Cowboy has a great beginning, when he was drafted by his dad's team. It would be great if the rest of the story was just as enjoyable.

I am doing more than rooting. I am also praying. Speed is a fantastic asset in college. However, when half of the opponent's defense can run just as fast and happen to possess double the mass there will be some very painful impacts. Speed is not a rare commodity in the NFL. I admire what Deuce is attempting, but I do think there may be a higher element of danger for him.

There are three players in the history of the NFL dating back to 1925 who were smaller and lighter than Vaughn and lasted two or more seasons. The last one was in 1973. Howard Steven was a 16th round pick by the New Orleans Saints. He was used mostly as a return man. For his career, he had 89 carries and 13 receptions.

One of the other three players was the legendary Buddy Young, a college national track champion. He has a fascinating story from his college track days to being drafted during World War II to becoming the first African American executive hired by a major league team.

Another of the three was none other than the guy who is given credit for the very first endzone celebration. Legend has it that Henry "Two Bits" Homan, who was 5'4 and weighed 145 LBS scored a TD in 1925 for the Frankford Yellow Jackets. He then shook his teammate's hand and also the hand of the referee. That was almost a century ago.

There are two players in NFL history that perfectly match Deuce's weight (178 LBS) and height (5-6) as listed in Pro-Football Reference. The last one was J.J. Moses, an undrafted free agent in 2002 who was strictly a return man, did not play a single down of defense or offense.

The other played in the early 1920's, around a hundred years ago.
Trindon Holiday: 5/5-169
Tarik Cohen: 5/6-181

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread but I think it’s worthy of its own. Especially since I’m seeing some folk who think he was a wasted draft pick. Now I don’t know if he’s going to make the team or not although I expect he will. But anyone who doesn’t think he deserves a shot is ignorant.

• 2021-22 Consensus All-American
• 2022 First Team All-American [all-purpose] (AP, AFCA, Sporting News, The Athletic)
• 2022 All-Big 12 First Team [all-purpose] (Associated Press)
• 2022 All-Big 12 Second Team (Coaches, Associated Press)
• 2022 Honorable Mention Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year (Coaches)
• 2022 Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Player of the Week (Oklahoma State)
• 2022 Walter Camp Award watch list
• 2022 Second Team Academic All-Big 12
• 2021 First Team All-American (Pro Football Focus)
• 2021 First Team All-American [all-purpose] (Associated Press)
• 2021 First Team All-American [athlete] (Sporting News)
• 2021 Second Team All-American [all-purpose] (CBS Sports, AFCA)
• 2021 Second Team All-American (USA TODAY)
• 2021 Honorable Mention All-American (Phil Steele)
• 2021-22 Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Finalist
• 2021-22 Doak Walker Award Semifinalist
• 2021 Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year (Pro Football Focus)
• 2020-21 Second Team All-Big 12 (Coaches, Associated Press)
• 2021 Honorable Mention Big 12 Off. Player of the Year (Coaches)
• 2021 CoSIDA First Team Academic All-District
• 2021 First Team Academic All-Big 12
• 2021-22 Maxwell Award watch list
• 2021 Doak Walker Award watch list
• 2020 Honorable Mention All-American (Phil Steele, Pro Football Focus)
• 2020 True Freshman of the Year (247Sports)
• 2020 Freshman All-American (FWAA, The Athletic)
• 2020 Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Semifinalist
• 2020 Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year (Coaches)
• 2020 Big 12 Newcomer of the Week (Oklahoma, Texas Tech)
I like his build for a player his size. I know some have remarked how he looks tiny compared to other players, but what they are primarily talking about is short. He's compactly built, so that bodes well for him. I've seen plenty of slight running backs with thin lower bodies who lack the leg drive to get through the first level. They either win with speed or nothing at all. I don't think that is how it will play out for Vaughn. I mean, I'm sure his lack of heft will affect him some on being able to fight for extra yardage, but I think his balance and compact body can help him overcome some of that.

Motorola

Reaction score
There are many great, successful college players whose abilities and/or physical traits do not translate well into the pro game.

It has nothing to do with desire, motivation, or commitment. Sports competition sometimes has to be cruel to be real, that's all.

I am rooting for Deuce Vaughn. He's a great story. That is to say, his story as a potential Cowboy has a great beginning, when he was drafted by his dad's team. It would be great if the rest of the story was just as enjoyable.

I am doing more than rooting. I am also praying. Speed is a fantastic asset in college. However, when half of the opponent's defense can run just as fast and happen to possess double the mass there will be some very painful impacts. Speed is not a rare commodity in the NFL. I admire what Deuce is attempting, but I do think there may be a higher element of danger for him.

There are three players in the history of the NFL dating back to 1925 who were smaller and lighter than Vaughn and lasted two or more seasons. The last one was in 1973. Howard Steven was a 16th round pick by the New Orleans Saints. He was used mostly as a return man. For his career, he had 89 carries and 13 receptions.

One of the other three players was the legendary Buddy Young, a college national track champion. He has a fascinating story from his college track days to being drafted during World War II to becoming the first African American executive hired by a major league team.

Another of the three was none other than the guy who is given credit for the very first endzone celebration. Legend has it that Henry "Two Bits" Homan, who was 5'4 and weighed 145 LBS scored a TD in 1925 for the Frankford Yellow Jackets. He then shook his teammate's hand and also the hand of the referee. That was almost a century ago.

There are two players in NFL history that perfectly match Deuce's weight (178 LBS) and height (5-6) as listed in Pro-Football Reference. The last one was J.J. Moses, an undrafted free agent in 2002 who was strictly a return man, did not play a single down of defense or offense.

The other played in the early 1920's, around a hundred years ago.
Noland Smth, Jr. aka "Super Gnat"
Punt/kickoff returner, WR AFL Chiefs 1967-69 and NFL 49ers 1969
5- 6 1/4, 154 lbs

plasticman

Reaction score
Trindon Holiday: 5/5-169
Tarik Cohen: 5/6-181
Holiday - one rushing attempt in his career.

Cohen - listed as 191 LBS in Pro Football Reference, his weight was not in Vaughn's range. However, good example, I would expect Vaughn to eventually gain weight up to that point. Cohen averaged about 5 carries a game, we would need to double that with Deuce unless there is another contributor as well.

My point is, when you look for other RB's around the same size, you get perhaps 2-3 players in a century of NFL football with the productivity expected from Deuce and most of those players were during the leather helmet period.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread but I think it’s worthy of its own. Especially since I’m seeing some folk who think he was a wasted draft pick. Now I don’t know if he’s going to make the team or not although I expect he will. But anyone who doesn’t think he deserves a shot is ignorant.

• 2021-22 Consensus All-American
• 2022 First Team All-American [all-purpose] (AP, AFCA, Sporting News, The Athletic)
• 2022 All-Big 12 First Team [all-purpose] (Associated Press)
• 2022 All-Big 12 Second Team (Coaches, Associated Press)
• 2022 Honorable Mention Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year (Coaches)
• 2022 Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Player of the Week (Oklahoma State)
• 2022 Walter Camp Award watch list
• 2022 Second Team Academic All-Big 12
• 2021 First Team All-American (Pro Football Focus)
• 2021 First Team All-American [all-purpose] (Associated Press)
• 2021 First Team All-American [athlete] (Sporting News)
• 2021 Second Team All-American [all-purpose] (CBS Sports, AFCA)
• 2021 Second Team All-American (USA TODAY)
• 2021 Honorable Mention All-American (Phil Steele)
• 2021-22 Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Finalist
• 2021-22 Doak Walker Award Semifinalist
• 2021 Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year (Pro Football Focus)
• 2020-21 Second Team All-Big 12 (Coaches, Associated Press)
• 2021 Honorable Mention Big 12 Off. Player of the Year (Coaches)
• 2021 CoSIDA First Team Academic All-District
• 2021 First Team Academic All-Big 12
• 2021-22 Maxwell Award watch list
• 2021 Doak Walker Award watch list
• 2020 Honorable Mention All-American (Phil Steele, Pro Football Focus)
• 2020 True Freshman of the Year (247Sports)
• 2020 Freshman All-American (FWAA, The Athletic)
• 2020 Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Semifinalist
• 2020 Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year (Coaches)
• 2020 Big 12 Newcomer of the Week (Oklahoma, Texas Tech)
good for him. he deserves a chance. welcome to the NFL. you have to prove yourself all over again. no gimme's.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Touches means carries and receiving. Pollard had several games last season where he didn’t get 15 touches. No way is Vaughn going to get a bunch of carries with his size. Even if he proves to be effective running the football his body will never hold up. Fans are kidding themselves if they don’t think there’s going to be a durability issue with an RB his size. Fans that are going overboard over him hate hearing it, but he looks like a peewee leaguer running around out there with those big guys. Every time I say that it opens me up for attacks but I’m simply being honest. Even the fans that are in love with him have to admit he looks like a little midget out there. One bone crushing hit could be the end of him.
Yes understood, all I am saying is I believe he will be valuable and I believe the team will get their money worth based on where they picked him. He won't be an every down back, no, but if a team cannot find ways to use a guy with his skillset, then that is on the team.
As far as bone crushing hit, well he knows what he signed up for and he has played the game before. I am not niave to say he can't end up being cut, but his size doesn't have to be the reason - not at all.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yes understood, all I am saying is I believe he will be valuable and I believe the team will get their money worth based on where they picked him. He won't be an every down back, no, but if a team cannot find ways to use a guy with his skillset, then that is on the team.
As far as bone crushing hit, well he knows what he signed up for and he has played the game before. I am not niave to say he can't end up being cut, but his size doesn't have to be the reason - not at all.
I also think he has a chance to be valuable, but I don’t think he’s going to get nearly as many touches is a lot of fans are hoping for. The Cowboys will have a role for him, but he may only get 5 to 7 touches per game if even that many. I don’t think he’ll be cut. The Cowboys made far too big deal about drafting him to turn around and cut him. The team will find a role for him. He’ll be given every chance to succeed.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Schottenheimer:

Really a smart football player, great instincts. Grew up in a football family. Another one of those guys, (in Seattle they would make fun of me for saying ...write this down...write this down...write this down) unbelievable note taker. So we are going to move him around, from a mental standpoint thing we're doing, he can handle... plus even more. Dynamic athlete, he's truly hard for the defense to see, when he's back there, behind the offensive line. You see the defensive linemen engage and are like #@&$ I cant' see him, where'd he go? Get him out in space, he's a matchup problem. A guy that...I'm not comparing, I don't want to compare. When we were in San Diego we had Darren Sproles. I think Deuce is a little thicker than Darren. Darren might be a half an inch taller. But again there was a drive, there was a desire to be great, a desire to prove people wrong. Then when you add that with talent, intelligence, football instincts. You see what Darren did, I'm not comparing Deuce to Darren. I'm just saying you get excited when you see some of the traits to make people miss and make a cut in the hole where your like how did he get from that spot to that spot, that quickly. Again RBs going to be a fun area for you and the fans to watch because it's going to be a ton of competition.

19:00

Hey sounds good to me! I thought Sproles was 195 and 5-8. And Deuce was like 5-6 and 175. But hey should be fun if the defense has trouble finding him.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When trying to sound intelligent just stay away from mirrors and using English -

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias[2] whereby people with low ability, expertise, or experience regarding a type of task or area of knowledge tend to overestimate their ability or knowledge.

Yours isn't cognitive.

Two or more Hill Billys is considered loitering...
Well....all I can say to that is...we all have our challenges. We all have a lot to do and learn. Your mission? Learn this:

'Brevity is the soul of wit'