CFZ Deuce deserves the chance he’s getting with the Cowboys

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread but I think it’s worthy of its own. Especially since I’m seeing some folk who think he was a wasted draft pick. Now I don’t know if he’s going to make the team or not although I expect he will. But anyone who doesn’t think he deserves a shot is ignorant.

• 2021-22 Consensus All-American
• 2022 First Team All-American [all-purpose] (AP, AFCA, Sporting News, The Athletic)
• 2022 All-Big 12 First Team [all-purpose] (Associated Press)
• 2022 All-Big 12 Second Team (Coaches, Associated Press)
• 2022 Honorable Mention Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year (Coaches)
• 2022 Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Player of the Week (Oklahoma State)
• 2022 Walter Camp Award watch list
• 2022 Second Team Academic All-Big 12
• 2021 First Team All-American (Pro Football Focus)
• 2021 First Team All-American [all-purpose] (Associated Press)
• 2021 First Team All-American [athlete] (Sporting News)
• 2021 Second Team All-American [all-purpose] (CBS Sports, AFCA)
• 2021 Second Team All-American (USA TODAY)
• 2021 Honorable Mention All-American (Phil Steele)
• 2021-22 Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Finalist
• 2021-22 Doak Walker Award Semifinalist
• 2021 Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year (Pro Football Focus)
• 2020-21 Second Team All-Big 12 (Coaches, Associated Press)
• 2021 Honorable Mention Big 12 Off. Player of the Year (Coaches)
• 2021 CoSIDA First Team Academic All-District
• 2021 First Team Academic All-Big 12
• 2021-22 Maxwell Award watch list
• 2021 Doak Walker Award watch list
• 2020 Honorable Mention All-American (Phil Steele, Pro Football Focus)
• 2020 True Freshman of the Year (247Sports)
• 2020 Freshman All-American (FWAA, The Athletic)
• 2020 Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Semifinalist
• 2020 Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year (Coaches)
• 2020 Big 12 Newcomer of the Week (Oklahoma, Texas Tech)

CCBoy

Reaction score
:muttley: I thought he was supposed to have some real talents...;) Doesn't he still take a hand-off or pass from Dak Prescott?

I look forward to watching him create seperation up to ten times a game!!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Cowboys will find a role for him, but he’s not going to get near as many touches/carries as some fans are predicting and hoping for. I’ve seen posts where fans are predicting he’ll get 15+ carries or at least that many touches per game and at least one fan believes he’ll overtake Pollard as our lead back. None of the above will happen. Now I’ll sit back and watch someone twist my words, claiming I said Vaughn sucks and won’t be any good. :popcorn:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The Cowboys will find a role for him, but he’s not going to get near as many touches/carries as some fans are predicting and hoping for. I’ve seen posts where fans are predicting he’ll get 15+ carries or at least that many touches per game and at least one fan believes he’ll overtake Pollard as our lead back. None of the above will happen. Now I’ll sit back and watch someone twist my words, claiming I said Vaughn sucks and won’t be any good. :popcorn:
I agree he won’t be getting near that many touches. He’s 5’5” 160. He’s been in on some screen passes so far in camp so I’m sure we’ll see some of that and other similar plays.

CWR

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread but I think it’s worthy of its own. Especially since I’m seeing some folk who think he was a wasted draft pick. Now I don’t know if he’s going to make the team or not although I expect he will. But anyone who doesn’t think he deserves a shot is ignorant.

• 2022 First Team All-American [all-purpose] (AP, AFCA, Sporting News, The Athletic)

100%.

I'll say it again, the kid is all heart.

Let him cook.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

I always root for our guys to maximize their potential for the betterment of our team that we look for to win.
He is no exception.
Sometimes a hindrance can be an advantage.
I hope for the best.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Vaughn is a playmaker. The only issue is usage. He can’t get used a lot due to his size.

I can see 5 touches per game though depending on the gameplan. Some screen passes, a few Carries here and there, etc.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Well it depends on what you mean by "touches" because I think we may see him in more than just runs, but no he won't be getting 15 runs maybe 7-8 while also being involved in the passing game... I expect the team will get their value from him, but no not Pollard type value

Jipper

Reaction score
Agreed but let's all make sure we are real here...he's very small compared to the guys that are going to be tackling him and while he has the skills the size limitation may impeded him in the NFL...rooting for the kid in so many ways but history is not on his side.

CCBoy

Reaction score
He needs to make this job easier...

Mike Leslie

@MikeLeslieWFAA

Dallas Cowboys superstar Micah Parsons asked his teammates -- and himself -- a fundamental question: "Is the price of discipline worth a lifetime of regret?" He says he’s sick of coming in second, and is putting in all the work necessary.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Well it depends on what you mean by "touches" because I think we may see him in more than just runs, but no he won't be getting 15 runs maybe 7-8 while also being involved in the passing game... I expect the team will get their value from him, but no not Pollard type value
If he receives a hand-off, a quick pitch, or pass...he ends up running the ball!

CCBoy

Reaction score
Agreed but let's all make sure we are real here...he's very small compared to the guys that are going to be tackling him and while he has the skills the size limitation may impeded him in the NFL...rooting for the kid in so many ways but history is not on his side.
Some leaderships are smart enough to monitor useage of their players.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I guess you never saw Darren Sproles play.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Touches means carries and receiving. Pollard had several games last season where he didn’t get 15 touches. No way is Vaughn going to get a bunch of carries with his size. Even if he proves to be effective running the football his body will never hold up. Fans are kidding themselves if they don’t think there’s going to be a durability issue with an RB his size. Fans that are going overboard over him hate hearing it, but he looks like a peewee leaguer running around out there with those big guys. Every time I say that it opens me up for attacks but I’m simply being honest. Even the fans that are in love with him have to admit he looks like a little midget out there. One bone crushing hit could be the end of him.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Today's defenses are geared to stop the pass....not as many head hunters crowding the box anymore. This will help Pollardand Vaughn. Draw plays, screens and sending the RB out of the backfield for a quick route will help these guys.
I can see why his college team had him run between the tackles too.
He's certainly hard to find.
You can't use that advantage as a bell cow because they'll naturally adjust, but used strategically?
Could be devastating;.
Could be nothing.
Better to try and failed than to have never tried at all.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
He's getting a chance, so your point is he deserves it? Who said he didn't?