Devonta Smith could he slide even out of the 1st Round?

timb2

Reaction score
Exactly lol. Doesn’t matter if he’s the worst WR in the NFL in 3 years, if he was picked in round 1 then he’s wrong.
So you are telling me Devonta Smith has a better PR Team than other WRs?. Well that isn't a bet.

817Gill

Reaction score
So you are telling Devonta Smith has a better PR Team than other WRs?. Well that isn't a bet.
Oh, I think you’re having some issues bud. YOU said he could slide out of round 1. I’m simply commenting that debating Smith’s career will have 0 to do with where he’s drafted.

You know, because the draft happens before his actual playing career starts lol.

timb2

Reaction score
@timb2 I think your biggest issue is that your thread is about Devonta Smith sliding out of round 1. Somewhere in the thread you decided to change the debate to “will he be a #1 WR”, which is irrelevant to the original title and theme.

I would just admit that I was trippin for thinking Smith wouldn’t get picked in round 1 and then start a different debate on how good he’ll be. Can’t just randomly change your topic mid-thread.
No he could slide like I say. This is the debate. When drafting in the 1st round you are looking for a #1 WR. Is Devonta Smith a #1 WR in this league? These debates are connected and this " YOU CAN'T LOOK OVER HERE ,IT HAS TO BE THIS AND THIS ALONE" is BS.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
People say combine and pro day dont matter.......until they want it to matter lol. Same with the bpa stuff. If Smith was a top 10 pick before the pro day his weight shouldn't matter, right?

timb2

Reaction score
Oh, I think you’re having some issues bud. YOU said he could slide out of round 1. I’m simply commenting that debating Smith’s career will have 0 to do with where he’s drafted.

You know, because the draft happens before his actual playing career starts lol.
Just like Johnny Football fans felt they were right in Draft Night and I felt right 2 years later when he was cut.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People say combine and pro day dont matter.......until they want it to matter lol. Same with the bpa stuff. If Smith was a top 10 pick before the pro day his weight shouldn't matter, right?

I think that when the only thing they look at are pro day stats, the kids get frustrated when a guy like Smith doesn't perform at the team's pro day. And then start dumb threads due to their tantrum.

timb2

Reaction score
No brought up some good points about Devonta. I want people to get by the hype and look at the player. Because everyone wants Devonta Smith in the Top 10 to 15 and I don't see it

817Gill

Reaction score
Just like Johnny Football fans felt they were right in Draft Night and I felt right 2 years later when he was cut.
Well those who simply said he would be drafted round 1 were right.

I’ve offered no opinion, not one, on if Smith will be a good WR. Look at all my posts on this thread. You are simply making an argument out of nothing.

My only point is you started the thread talking about where he would be picked and moved the topic to Smith’s projected success quickly after. What you or I think about how good he will be is again, irrelevant. I am simply saying he will be drafted in round 1, answering your original prompt.

If you want to engage in further debate about how good Smith will be, by all means start a thread that asks that and you will get all the back and forth you want.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
He can fall out of the 1st round. If teams were smart. Smith is #2 WR at best in the NFL. Guys like Collins,Chase,Marshall,and Terry will be the guys that should pass him

Man, it seems to me that you put wayyy to much emphasis on a players measurables and not nearly enough on their actual ability to play football.

Smith is a very good WR who I feel pretty sure will be drafted in round 1. And he is so good and will be drafted early in large part because of what goes on between his ears.

There is a list a mile long of NFL players who didn’t run really fast and didn’t have quite enough size, and yet they were pro bowl and hall of fame players.

I’m not arguing with you but I’m telling you that the ability to play the game at a high level is the most important thing a prospect can have. Being tall and running fast is great but a lot of those guys just aren’t great players.

It seems somewhat misguided to take a guy like Smith who was absolutely fantastic playing football at the highest level of college football and say he will fail, while at the same time saying a guy that didn’t do a whole lot in college will come in to the NFL and be better than Smith just because he’s heavier and ran faster.

Not only is it counterintuitive, but there are hundreds of examples of things not playing out that way. Most of the time, guys who are great in college are good in the NFL. Not always, I know... but most of the time. Particularly when they succeeded in the SEC.

At the same time, when a guy just can’t play very well in college, he usually doesn’t become great in the NFL, regardless of physical talent. Again, there are exceptions, but they’re not often.

I’m just saying that you focus on physical talent and traits over their mental ability. Their smarts, willpower, work ethic, etc when those absolutely matter.

I mean go back over the years and look how some of your unconventional mock drafts fell. You were way off on some of those things.

I’m just saying that I view talent evaluation a lot differently than you do. I guess I’m saying that I think Smith will go round 1 and I also feel like he’ll have a good career as well.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Dude could have dropped 400 yards on Ohio State if he wanted to. He is going to be a stud.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
No it does you tell me you rather have Devonta Smith 6-1,170 lbs vs Nico Collins who the NFL Prototype in the NFL . He is bigger and faster. That's like you want Desmond Howard over Terrell Owens.
I will bet you any amount of money you want to bet that he goes in the first round. Any amount.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
No brought up some good points about Devonta. I want people to get by the hype and look at the player. Because everyone wants Devonta Smith in the Top 10 to 15 and I don't see it
In less than 10 days you ARE going to see it.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The extent of Timb2's draft analysis...

Capture.jpg

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I think that is why Devonta Smith didn't want to practice at the Senior Bowl. He didn't even want his measurements taken. He knew and trying to become a high pick still.

Devonta Smith is coming off a broken hand. He's not completely healed.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He is an unbelievably smooth WR. Excellent route runner, very good after the catch, excellent hands. Despite his from he playes strong than he looks, he was very good at making contested catchs VS NFL caliber CB. His TD production was unreal, and is a testement to his skill level.

There is a very compelling argument to be made that he can be a #1 WR at the NFL level.

As far as timed speed, he plays much faster than he times. Reagor didnt have a great 40 time, and he has been times at 23mph in game