DEZ #88 punishment--what do you think?

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Howardlittleton64;4638772 said:
I don't think you know what you are talking about.

Roethlisburger wasn't even charged. Mr. Goodell's power was collectively bargained and he has final say on conduct he determines detrimental to the league.

Read the police report and then tell me what i do and don't know.. k? ;)

He bought drinks for underage girls.. not only that, poured them for them himself and told them to follow him to the VIP area.

Buying drinks for minors is against the law.

Reaction score
skinsscalper;4638780 said:
What's ridiculous is the fact that there are so many people on this board that are more concerned with "being right" than they are with the actual success of their team.

If you haven't seen that around here, then you must be new.

I'm new, and I think both positions are ridiculous. Neither make any sense.

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4638788 said:
Read the police report and then tell me what i do and don't know.. k? ;)

He bought drinks for underage girls.. not only that, poured them for them himself and told them to follow him to the VIP area.

Buying drinks for minors is against the law.

He was never charged by the DA for anything.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Howardlittleton64;4638786 said:
Ben Roethlisburger (never charged or cited) 6 games
Rocky Bernard(1 arrest domestic abuse) 1 game
Michael Boley(1 arrest domestic abuse) 1 game
All say hello

Ben Roethlisberger was accused of a felony, and it was his third public incident in 18 months.

Rocky Bernard was arrested for felony domestic abuse, and Michael Boley had charges pressed but were later dropped due to insufficient evidence.

None of the three cases you listed are comparable. I'll say it again, nobody has ever been suspended in one of the four major American sports for a first-time misdemeanor in which no charges were filed. It has never happened, not once.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Howardlittleton64;4638800 said:
He was never charged by anyone for anything.

Did i say he was charged for anything? Good grief, this is like arguing law with an infant.

I said Ben broke a law.. i never said he was charged with anything, i said there was clear evidence (in an official police report) that he served and bought drinks for underage college students and invited them to the VIP area with him. Just because he wasn't convicted of the sexual assault, doesn't mean he didn't do anything wrong. Its against the law to serve or buy drinks for minors, and the record shows he did, in fact, do that. Therefore.. HE BROKE A LAW.

Sheesh man, and you accuse me of not knowing what im talking about?

:laugh2:

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4638815 said:
Did i say he was charged for anything? Good grief, this is like arguing law with an infant.

I said Ben broke a law.. i never said he was charged with anything, i said there was clear evidence (in an official police report) that he served and bought drinks for underage college students and invited them to the VIP area with him. Just because he wasn't convicted of the sexual assault, doesn't mean he didn't do anything wrong. Its against the law to serve or buy drinks for minors, and the record shows he did, in fact, do that. Therefore.. HE BROKE A LAW.

Sheesh man, and you accuse me of not knowing what im talking about?

If there was evidence he broke a law he would have been charged.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
A statement from Commish Goodell on why he suspended "Big" Ben:

"As the District Attorney concluded, the extensive investigatory record shows that you contributed to the irresponsible consumption of alcohol by purchasing [or facilitating the purchase of] alcoholic beverages for underage college students, at least some of whom were likely already intoxicated. There is no question that the excessive consumption of alcohol that evening put the students and yourself at risk."

But no, i have no idea what im talking about.

:rolleyes:

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Howardlittleton64;4638800 said:
He was never charged by the DA for anything.

That's not the point, he was accused of a far more serious offense and it was not the first act of his that reflected poorly on himself and the NFL.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Howardlittleton64;4638824 said:
If there was evidence he broke a law he would have been charged.

You win.. you're hopeless. I guess the DA and investigators and the police officers that filed the police report were all just lying.

nablives

Reaction score
Howardlittleton64;4638725 said:
Past precedent shows that you don't need to be found guilty to be suspended by Mr. Goodell.

Correct.

I think we're in denial about that or something. Goodell is big time into the league's image, and he doesn't need charges to be brought up to suspend a player.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
nablives;4638836 said:
Correct.

I think we're in denial about that or something. Goodell is big time into the league's image, and he doesn't need charges to be brought up to suspend a player.

Most people aren't saying otherwise. The point is that you cannot find a comparable case to the one seen with Dez in which a player was suspended, and few in which they were even fined. A first-time misdemeanor ACCUSATION in which no charges are even brought to court is on the level of spitting on a private sidewalk.

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4638813 said:
Ben Roethlisberger was accused of a felony, and it was his third public incident in 18 months.

Rocky Bernard was arrested for felony domestic abuse, and Michael Boley had charges pressed but were later dropped due to insufficient evidence.

None of the three cases you listed are comparable. I'll say it again, nobody has ever been suspended in one of the four major American sports for a first-time misdemeanor in which no charges were filed. It has never happened, not once.

My point remains.

Accused never charged. Dez had two public incidents since January one leading to an arrest.

The other two both cited with DV one had the charges dropped and he was still suspended. My point was he could still be suspended if charges were dropped after one offense clearly they can and have been.

nablives

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4638845 said:
Most people aren't saying otherwise. The point is that you cannot find a comparable case to the one seen with Dez in which a player was suspended, and few in which they were even fined. A first-time misdemeanor ACCUSATION in which no charges are even brought to court is on the level of spitting on a private sidewalk.

I think most people are confused about what Goodell can do. All this "but it ain't legal or fair" stuff needs to stop. It's not about being legal or fair. Check out how he handled Terrelle Pryor, just to name one guy out of many.

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4638825 said:
A statement from Commish Goodell on why he suspended "Big" Ben:

"As the District Attorney concluded, the extensive investigatory record shows that you contributed to the irresponsible consumption of alcohol by purchasing [or facilitating the purchase of] alcoholic beverages for underage college students, at least some of whom were likely already intoxicated. There is no question that the excessive consumption of alcohol that evening put the students and yourself at risk."

But no, i have no idea what im talking about.

:rolleyes:
fair enough
I don't understand why he wasn't charged with serving minors then. That doesn't make sense.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
nablives;4638851 said:
I think most people are confused about what Goodell can do. All this "but it ain't legal or fair" stuff needs to stop. It's not about being legal or fair. Check out how he handled Terrelle Pryor, just to name one guy out of many.

Of course Goodell COULD suspend Dez if he wanted to but there is no past precedent for that, not just in football but any major sport that I know of. There is absolutely no reason to believe he will get suspended.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Howardlittleton64;4638848 said:

My point remains.

Accused never charged. Dez had two public incidents since January one leading to an arrest.

The other two both cited with DV one had the charges dropped and he was still suspended. My point was he could still be suspended if charges were dropped after one offense clearly they can and have been.

Your point is one that a teenager would use to try and solidify a claim. It proves nothing.

Ben was suspended because he was charged with two felonies and had a history of being sleazy in nightclubs with underage girls (who he also broke the law by serving and buying drinks for).

Dez had an argument with a family member.. and was told he needed to leave a mall because he was supposedly the only one in the mall with saggy pants.

Let us know when you find a viable connection between the severity of the incidents the two players have been in.

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4638832 said:
That's not the point, he was accused of a far more serious offense and it was not the first act of his that reflected poorly on himself and the NFL.

Soooo all we have to do is accuse Eli of rape twice and he will be suspended.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Howardlittleton64;4638856 said:
fair enough
I don't understand why he wasn't charged with serving minors then. That doesn't make sense.

You make a fair point there.. but next time maybe make sure you know the whole story before you accuse others of "not knowing what they are talking about".