Dez Bryant and Martellus Bennett were terrible picks

BlueAndSilverSurfer

Reaction score
the Roy Williams trade has helped Detroit immensely, and the Cowboys have had 1 playoff win in 15 years.

**** Jerry

links18

Reaction score
We know our front office blows when it comes to talent evaluation; but you are going to catch flack on Dez.

punit328

Reaction score
BlueAndSilverSurfer;4363081 said:
the Roy Williams trade has helped Detroit immensely, and the Cowboys have had 1 playoff win in 15 years.

**** Jerry

I'll agree with you about the Bennett pick, but not the Dez pick

Eskimo

Reaction score
Marty was overdrafted but he is not a bad player. Should have been a 5th rounder given his limited receiving skills.

Dez was a good pick given off-field concerns for a late first rounder. Most such players don't even end up being quality starters and he is already there. It has been a bigger job turning him into a polished product than initially suspected. He really turned a corner in the last quarter of the season so I am excited about next year. He just has to learn to be more consistent in his reads so Romo can learn to trust how he is going to run his route given the defenses coverage. According to CS, Bryant's routes are much improved and is getting open quite a bit but Romo doesn't trust him much and won't deliver the ball yet.

slomoxn

Reaction score
Did anyone hear Warren Moon's comment about Bryant and the Blackmon kid from Oklahoma. He said that Blackmon is Bryant with all of his brain cells... Something to that effect.

dariet22

Reaction score
This team is loaded with players whose reputations exceed their production.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eskimo;4363094 said:
Marty was overdrafted but he is not a bad player. Should have been a 5th rounder given his limited receiving skills.

Dez was a good pick given off-field concerns for a late first rounder. Most such players don't even end up being quality starters and he is already there. It has been a bigger job turning him into a polished product than initially suspected. He really turned a corner in the last quarter of the season so I am excited about next year. He just has to learn to be more consistent in his reads so Romo can learn to trust how he is going to run his route given the defenses coverage. According to CS, Bryant's routes are much improved and is getting open quite a bit but Romo doesn't trust him much and won't deliver the ball yet.

I don't remember a single draft source that projected Bennett anywhere near the 5th round.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
whether it's Bennett or somebody else, if you hear in the war room on draft day that you have to keep your foot on the guys throat to keep him in line,(ala Bennett) you need to pass on those players, start drafting football players and not shiny pieces that you can promote to make money...jerry is all about the shiny objects and not sound football players, this teaM needs alot more players like Witten and Lee's and alot less of the Bennett's and Dez's

Eddie

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd rather have drafted UFA Victor Cruz in the first round instead of Dez.

How the heck did the Gnats get Cruz for free???

slomoxn

Reaction score
The Quest for Six;4363117 said:
whether it's Bennett or somebody else, if you hear in the war room on draft day that you have to keep your foot on the guys throat to keep him in line,(ala Bennett) you need to pass on those players, start drafting football players and not shiny pieces that you can promote to make money...jerry is all about the shiny objects and not sound football players, this teaM needs alot more players like Witten and Lee's and alot less of the Bennett's and Dez's
Luckily Garrett's first and lets hope (if Jerry stays way out of the way) future drafts are about players and not shiney objects.

Kangaroo

Reaction score

**** Jerry

Roy Williams trading for him was dumb we should have waited for FA agree their.

Bennet has been a bad pick

Dez has been productive and at times dominant

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

**** Jerry

sigh.....

guess we'll see an offseason of just goofy posts....

the boys were 8-8 against a much sched. i get it. that sucks.
but lets not go brain dead.

how many playoff games has detroit won since the rw11 trade??
dallas gave up a 1st (TE Brandon Pettigrew), 3rd (WR Derrick Williams) and a 6th (RB Aaron Brown) round pick in the 2009 draft. people nonchalantly say that this was the worse trade Jerry Jones has or ever will make, but when looking at the players detroit selected it doesn't look too bad. detroit drafted poorly but its not like dallas could be expected to grab the very best possible players at those spots. so revisionist drafting is pointless.

how many top 5 picks have the lions added? i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that is what is helping them win games now. you know calvin johnson, matt stafford, suh et al.

bennett has been disappointing but he was the 30th pick in r2 and rated well above that at draft time. he was a high upside guy who never took football seriously enough but still provided a top 10 TE blocker. thats top 10 in all of football for the position. he is gone from here but isnt near being out of football. he is a legit nfl te.

dez hasn't been close to a bad draft choice.
he has teased us with potential but his actual production is fine for a lower half 1st rounder at WR this early in his career. in 2 years he averages over 50 catches and 750 yards per season as well as 7.5 TDs per season. Those are legit #2 WR numbers. The role Bryant has here. And it certainly helps that his numbers grew from year 1 to 2 markedly.

with the number of draft picks out of football it is rather silly to focus your displeasure with guys who actually contribute.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Eddie;4363123 said:
Honestly, I'd rather have drafted UFA Victor Cruz in the first round instead of Dez.

How the heck did the Gnats get Cruz for free???
We got Romo for 'free' which I think is the bigger deal of the two UDFA players.

Deep_South

Reaction score
I agree on MartyB, but now that we have him he is a heck of a blocker. He would have been a solid 4th or 5th round pick.

I disagree on Dez. He has the potential to make plays that get us to the promised land.

Jenky

Reaction score
Another dumb thread.

Bryant = 928 yards 9 tds
Witten = 942 yards 5 tds
Robinson = 858 yards 11 tds
Miles = 579 yards 7 tds

It's like you want them all to have 1500 yards + 20 tds each. Open your eyes and realize that Tony is spreading the wealth.

ringmaster

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4363161 said:
Yup :laugh2: @ anyone who thinks Dez was a bad pick.
I agree C&L man the ignore button is the best thing they can have on this forum.

I had to laugh when I opened up this thread anyone who says that Dez was a bad pick is just not worth talking football to ever.

ringmaster

Reaction score
Jenky;4363181 said:
Another dumb thread.

Bryant = 928 yards 9 tds
Witten = 942 yards 5 tds
Robinson = 858 yards 11 tds
Miles = 579 yards 7 tds

It's like you want them all to have 1500 yards + 20 tds each. Open your eyes and realize that Tony is spreading the wealth.
Consider the op owned on this one spot on Jenky.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Can't wait to re-visit this next year same time when Dez hangs 80rec and 12td's.