Dez Bryant and Martellus Bennett were terrible picks

Ender

Reaction score
How in the world is Dez a horrible draft pick?

dboy214

Benched
Reaction score
Eddie;4363554 said:
Man, I don't think the Gnats would trade Cruz for Dez straight up at the moment.

Can we build a time machine, and force Jerry Jones to draft Cruz with a 7th round pick ???

jerry is an idiot.

how do we draft a 7th round fullback who is too weak to make it off the practice squad all season but the Giants sign an undrafted FA (hynoski) who starts 11 games for them at fullback?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
slomoxn;4363096 said:
Did anyone hear Warren Moon's comment about Bryant and the Blackmon kid from Oklahoma. He said that Blackmon is Bryant with all of his brain cells... Something to that effect.

You portrayed the quote accurately. He also called Dez a "numbskull."

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Oh_Canada;4363195 said:
Can't wait to re-visit this next year same time when Dez hangs 80rec and 12td's.

Wasn't he supposed to do that this year?

Dez definitely wasn't a bad pick, considering where we snagged him. But I believe he could be far more productive than what he has been. As dominating as his talent is, just going to him four times a game - in some cases - suggests something, and I think we all know what that something is as it has been reported quite frequently.

bigboi

Benched
Reaction score
tyke1doe;4363658 said:
Wasn't he supposed to do that this year?

Dez definitely wasn't a bad pick, considering where we snagged him. But I believe he could be far more productive than what he has been. As dominating as his talent is, just going to him four times a game - in some cases - suggests something, and I think we all know what that something is as it has been reported quite frequently.

Was he really supposed to have 80 receptions and 12 td's in his second year?

I can count on 1 hand the number of 2nd year receivers who have done that yet for some reason a guy who was projected as the 3rd target going into this year was supposed to put up all pro numbers.

No rational person would have projected those numbers for Dez considering he was playing with 2 other pro bowl receiving threats and how Witten is Romo's #1 target.

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
The reason you are wrong about Dez.

2 years in the league after a 1 year delay. .5 training camps .5 of an off season 8 games + 12 games= 20 games played and 17 TDs.

He has plenty of room to grow. If he gets a little better hes plays a full season hes a 12 TD guy. If he plays a full season and learns a little more hes a 13 to 16 TD guy.

If thats bad I will take it....and you will too.

links18

Reaction score
dboy214;4363602 said:
jerry is an idiot.

how do we draft a 7th round fullback who is too weak to make it off the practice squad all season but the Giants sign an undrafted FA (hynoski) who starts 11 games for them at fullback?

Chapas was on the active roster after the Fiammetta injury

Greatestalltime

Benched
Reaction score
Eddie;4363123 said:
Honestly, I'd rather have drafted UFA Victor Cruz in the first round instead of Dez.

How the heck did the Gnats get Cruz for free???
That will be proven a bad I'd rather have

dfense

Reaction score
slomoxn;4363096 said:
Did anyone hear Warren Moon's comment about Bryant and the Blackmon kid from Oklahoma. He said that Blackmon is Bryant with all of his brain cells... Something to that effect.
I'm glad Warren can take a break from beating his wife to comment on the Cowboys.

JoeCorrado

Reaction score
BlueAndSilverSurfer;4363081 said:
the Roy Williams trade has helped Detroit immensely, and the Cowboys have had 1 playoff win in 15 years.

**** Jerry

Wow- is that the best that you could come up with? Desperate to talk bad about Jerry, are we?

Thought maybe, with the thread title, you would have explained the Dez and Bennett thing. But no, just a way of getting us to read your weakness, eh?

How did that trade help the Lions tonight? Just curious of where this came from.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
bigboi;4363670 said:
Was he really supposed to have 80 receptions and 12 td's in his second year?

I can count on 1 hand the number of 2nd year receivers who have done that yet for some reason a guy who was projected as the 3rd target going into this year was supposed to put up all pro numbers.

No rational person would have projected those numbers for Dez considering he was playing with 2 other pro bowl receiving threats and how Witten is Romo's #1 target.

Those numbers represent a monster year.

We had a preseason prediction thread on how many passes, yards and touchdowns Dez would have. I think many people were optimistic that he would have a monster year.

If you or someone else has time to pull the thread, it would be interesting to see some of those predictions.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Eddie;4363568 said:
Considering we have Witten as our starting TE for probably the next 8 years, we shouldn't be drafting backup TE's anywhere near the first day.

You think Witten will be a starter in eight years? :confused:

Really?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
dfense;4364282 said:
I'm glad Warren can take a break from beating his wife to comment on the Cowboys.

IIRC, those allegations were proven false.

FadeToBlack

Reaction score
Eddie;4363123 said:
Honestly, I'd rather have drafted UFA Victor Cruz in the first round instead of Dez.

How the heck did the Gnats get Cruz for free???

The same way Dallas got Miles Austin and Tony Romo for free.

slomoxn

Reaction score
dfense;4364282 said:
What does that have to do with him evaluating talented players?

Eskimo

Reaction score
JoeCorrado;4364292 said:
Wow- is that the best that you could come up with? Desperate to talk bad about Jerry, are we?

Thought maybe, with the thread title, you would have explained the Dez and Bennett thing. But no, just a way of getting us to read your weakness, eh?

How did that trade help the Lions tonight? Just curious of where this came from.

Just look at the players taken the few picks after that first round pick:

Brandon Pettigrew TE (we probably don't make this pick)
Alex Mack C - went to the Pro Bowl already
Percy Harvin - WR
Michael Oher - OT
Peria Jerry - DT
Vontae Davis - CB
Clay Matthews - OLB
Donald Brown - RB
Eric Wood - C
Hakeem Nicks - WR
Kenny Britt - WR

I think if we had kept that pick we would have taken Hakeem Nicks who really fits our philosophy for WRs in Garrett's offense. We also had an ageing TO who we were about to cut, Patrick Crayton, Sam Hurd and Miles Austin at WR at that time.

In the 3rd round here are some of the players on the board where our pick was that went in the next few picks:

Derrick Williams WR Penn State
Brandon Tate WR North Carolina
Mike Wallace† WR Ole Miss
Ramses Barden WR Cal Poly
Asher Allen CB Georgia
Patrick Turner WR
Lardarius Webb CB Nicholls State
Jared Cook TE South Carolina
Christopher Owens CB
Deon Butler WR Penn State

Mike Wallace would sure look great on our team right now.

Those picks could have made a big difference on our team.

The trade was an unmitigated disaster due to wasted draft picks and cap space for poor production on the field over about 3 years. This trade really set us back a great deal. Jerry didn't make up for it by finding us great players later in this draft. All we got is a bunch of JAG backups. (Butler, McGee, Phillips, Buehler).

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Yeah, but Bennett can dunk a ball over a guy standing underneath it.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The Quest for Six;4363117 said:
whether it's Bennett or somebody else, if you hear in the war room on draft day that you have to keep your foot on the guys throat to keep him in line,(ala Bennett) you need to pass on those players, start drafting football players and not shiny pieces that you can promote to make money...jerry is all about the shiny objects and not sound football players, this teaM needs alot more players like Witten and Lee's and alot less of the Bennett's and Dez's

Don't really agree with this. While Jones likes the splashy acquisitions, he goes after what his coaches want. When Parcells was here, Jones' drafts were filled with "football" guys. He follows the guidance of his coaches and scouting department, and that's how you end up trading Anthony Fasano and replacing him with Martellus Bennett.

Now, picks like Dez Bryant are probably pure Jerry, but people need to stop looking at drafts and even free agency as Jerry picking out the shiny objects and start looking at them as failures of the scouting and pro personnel departments and the coaching staff.

Those areas have to get better, and that is on GM Jerry.