Dez Bryant discussion

Jenky

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;4734567 said:
Anyone still think I was infatuated with Miles Austin? Or did I have a legitimate point go up and get Thomas, Iupati or Pouncey - because at this moment I would take any of them over Dez and that has never changed.

Dez has physical talent that can be identified by someone watching their first game. He has that "Wow!" aspect that I have not seen from a player since a young T.O and Deion Sanders highlights. He just is on a different level than everyone physically yet mentally Dez is 53/53. At this point I don't think he will ever overcome it. I hoped, I prayed and I dreamed he would live up to his potential but after last nights debacle I don't think he has it in him. If we were to have a regime change and he had to learn a new playbook are we supposed to give him another 3 years to learn it?

If some team is hopeful enough to give us what we need for him (1st round + a starting quality OL) to get him we are best off trading him before his value falls off (Felix, Jenkins). Jerry said when questioned if Dez would even be on the team if he didn't accept the "Dez Bryant rules" he said "That's a fair question, but I don't know the answer.".

1) Like it or not, Dez is probably Romo's third progression. Maybe even 4th. If you want him to be like Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald (who had 4 yards yesterday), have Romo force feed him the ball.

2) I don't understand the bold part. Dez and his advisor laid out a set a rules which were presented to Jerry & the Cowboys. Not the other way around.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
No players have a great game every game, they all have bad days. Dez had a bad day, probably worst I've seen him play, but again, you show me a player who never have a bad day and I'll call you a liar.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score

Joshmil53

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;4734636 said:
No not really. My arguments against Dez have remained logical for years, people are just too upset to except the reality about him. I am not a joke thinking the guy who put on the worst receiving game I have seen from a Cowboy in 5+ yrs and is still considered a top 5 player on this team by a majority of you is overrated.

The thing is this overrating of Dez isn't exclusive to Cowboys fans, that is why we can profit.

It's not like Austin had a lights out game either. Seattle arguably has one of the best secondary's in the league.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;4734625 said:
Yeah, Miles is one of those bench riders. Dez was the one who came into the league on a wave of hype with people on this board discussing who would be inducting him into the league and how many seasons would it take for him to surpass Fitzgerald as the best in the league, 1 or 2.

I was one of the very very few that said we made a mistake drafting him. I am saddened to say it is looking like I was right.

Salvage a mistake, if we traded Felix at this point last year we get a second, same with Jenkins.

I am not saying lets' just cut him, but if we put feelers out I think we could get something major for him. A first (recover the pick) and a starter on the o-line would be enough for me to deal him. I probably wouldn't do it just for a first.

I'm glad you at least clued into what I was getting at.

However, I would like to expand and note your lack of patience for Dez when similar treatment to Austin would have had him out of Dallas before his 3rd season even started.

I don't think anyone who claimed Dez could be the best WR in the NFL is wrong. I'm not sure anyone had any idea of how poor his mental capacity was or how immature he was. Most were probably under the assumption he took his preparations just as serious as he does game day which doesn't appear to be the case.

Dez Bryant won't hit the pinnacle of his football career until he grows into a professional in every aspect of the word. Will it be soon enough for Dallas to get the most out of the player, only time will tell.

You can't get rid of the guy. Austin is too fragile to be counted on to play 16 games.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;4734636 said:
No not really. My arguments against Dez have remained logical for years, people are just too upset to except the reality about him. I am not a joke thinking the guy who put on the worst receiving game I have seen from a Cowboy in 5+ yrs and is still considered a top 5 player on this team by a majority of you is overrated.

The thing is this overrating of Dez isn't exclusive to Cowboys fans, that is why we can profit.

Logical?

You're disdain for Dez is based 100% on your perceived threat to Austin.

For whatever reason, you can't seem to accept the notion that Austin may not be considered the "Cowboys #1 WR"..........whatever the hell that even means.

You could switch Dez out with any WR in the NFL and I suspect we'd see similar threads of how said WR had a bad game, didn't do something correct, or whatever else.

Logical is an antonym for your position.

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
He's a headcase.

and in the group of personnel that should be packing their bags after the season.

garrett, felix, bryant, jenkins, free, spears, coleman.

jerruh really is a genius aint he

perrykemp

Reaction score
My thoughts on Dez:

* I think he has superior physical abilities in many many areas including strength, size, and hands -- what I don't think he has is great speed. I have rarely in his career in Dallas seen him get much separation. See next bullet.

* Separation for a NFL WR = productivity. Seperation is a combination of so many things -- physical ability, knowledge of the offense, knowledge of what is going on the defense, recognition, and route running. He has most of the physical ability, however, I'm not sure he has any real awareness of the offense, defense (either pre-snap or post-snap), nor do I think his route running is anything other than average.

* He often looks like he has a deer in the headlights look to him. He strikes me as front-runner, and typically I don't see him perform as well when the Cowboys (and my extension him) are under pressure

* Having said all that, I think there is still a chance for the light-bulb to come on for this kid -- but he needs to seize the opportunity. They can't coddle this kid forever either on-the-field or off-the-field.

gmb85

Reaction score
Dez is starting to get on my damn nerves. This sums up my feelings in one gesture -->:bang2:

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Got to love this board sometimes. might as well change the site name to "www.cowboysFansOverreact1000fold.com"

Gaede

Reaction score
I think this is a fair post.

For all his hype, has Dez ever had one of those jaw-dropping, start to finish, dominating type performances? We see those flashes of brilliance but are underwhelmed for the other 2/3s of the game.

This is the third year, and we don't ever see him take over a game.

I don't give two craps about the offseason stuff. On the field, I see a slightly above avg player who never plays an entire game. When will that change?

JackWagon

Reaction score
After week 2 ... there are 49 other receivers ranked higher than Dez.

craig71

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Reaction score
I think this going to be a pivotal year for Dez. He will either have things worked out by years end or it will be time to consider other options. With that being said, I can't say that Austin has done all that much to impress me as of late either. Maybe the reality is that this team isn't as talented as some believe at the wideout position.

Craig

Joshmil53

Reaction score
craig71;4734965 said:
I think this going to be a pivotal year for Dez. He will either have things worked out by years end or it will be time to consider other options. With that being said, I can't say that Austin has done all that much to impress me as of late either. Maybe the reality is that this team isn't as talented as some believe at the wideout position.

Craig

Your sig..

perrykemp

Reaction score
03EBZ06;4734639 said:
No players have a great game every game, they all have bad days. Dez had a bad day, probably worst I've seen him play, but again, you show me a player who never have a bad day and I'll call you a liar.

I agree. Its pointless to jump on Dez because of a bad game -- it can happen to any player.

My worry isn't the bad games per say, it's that he has never had a "great" game.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
He had a poor game after a very good training camp and a solid opening game. Yes he had a couple fumbles and dropped passes. But to be "done" with him at this point is ridiculous.

Honestly, I think you are just sore that you took him in your fantasy league.

scottsp

Reaction score
Most of us are mesmerized by Dez's perceived ceiling. We are also agonized by his obvious shortcomings. He is a monster once the ball is in the air. Unfortunately, the position of wide receiver deals mostly with route running.

The kid doesn't have to be Jerry Rice when it comes to the second phase. There are a number of functional receivers out there without Dez's physical ability who can only run three routes with precision.

What he cannot do is fail in key areas, such as breaking off routes and recognizing sight adjusts at the line. If DB does nothing else except showing improvement in this area, he and Romo could develop into such an amazing battery.

Michael Irvin made a Hall of Fame career off basically two routes - the deep in and the deep out. He worked tirelessly to perfect this until he could run it in his sleep. There is little excuse for him not developing the same type of chemistry with Romo as Mike had with Troy. I believe it's there if Dez wants it.