Dez Bryant discussion

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Most I will say is I felt Dez and Witten both had poor games and dropped to many passes that would have kept drives alive. I expect more out of both of them and think we will get much better play out of them than what they showed Sunday.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
perrykemp;4736692 said:
Dez played just fine in Game 1 vs the Giants. He didn't play well in Game 2.

Everybody has a down game from time to time.

Problem with Dez is he has never had <great> game so far in his career to balance out the bad ones.

He is a front runner (needs things to be easy/good) and only good for a half. That is far from the elite status he was given on this board.

Victor Cruz's grandma dies and he gives a great performance. Dez would shut it down in the same situation. He would be crying on the field and pouting on the sideline.

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
Huge overreaction to 1 game in which all of our starters played like garbage. Dez will be fine. Its his third year in the NFL and he had a solid 1st game. He clearly put in a lot of work in the off season and has tons of ability. He is a good receiver and could be great.

The idea of trading him is ridiculous. We are hardly stacked at receiver and Miles isn't exactly a consistent product on the field himself. (drops, injuries, disappearing..)

Personally I think Dez will grow in to a beast. Hell anyone see Larry Fitz against the pats? Of course not because he had 1 catch for 4 yards! Dez had a down game and like Larry he will bounce back.

perrykemp

Reaction score
koolaid;4736718 said:
Personally I think Dez will grow in to a beast.

I hope so. The past three off-seasons this board has been filled with predictions of Dez finally becoming a superstar elite WR.

The Cowboys <need> him to become that guy, undoubtably.

It's hard to ignore some of the warning signs however -- ever week in this league there is at least 3-4 guys I've barely heard of crack 100 yards receiving -- this past week Brian Hartline (Dolphins) fits that bill...

Guys show signs of breaking out, even when they are rookies.

Sometimes those signs are 100 yard games. Sometimes it's 150+ yard games. Sometimes its just a guy who took a 10 yard pass and turned up field and ran for 60-70 more yards.

My worry is I just haven't seen very many of those signs with Dez.

The silver lining is with his injuries in the past he less than two full years of gametime in so he definitely has a chance to grow as WR. Let's hope he does.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
As a Cowboys fan I am embarrased by other Cowboys fans. The guy plays great one week then when the whole team falls apart all of a sudden its let's trash Dez. We have somre of the dumbest and most fickle fans. Sheesh.

Wood

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;4734616 said:
Mark_Davis.jpg

There is another. Meet Mark.

equally scary

perrykemp

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4736799 said:
As a Cowboys fan I am embarrased by other Cowboys fans. The guy plays great one week then when the whole team falls apart all of a sudden its let's trash Dez. We have somre of the dumbest and most fickle fans. Sheesh.

Respect your opinion, however, I suspect our definition of "great' differs a bit.

For years I have been waiting for Jerry Rice, Megatron, Larry Fitzgerald great from Dez.

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score

QFT....

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
koolaid;4736718 said:
Huge overreaction to 1 game in which all of our starters played like garbage. Dez will be fine. Its his third year in the NFL and he had a solid 1st game. He clearly put in a lot of work in the off season and has tons of ability. He is a good receiver and could be great.

The idea of trading him is ridiculous. We are hardly stacked at receiver and Miles isn't exactly a consistent product on the field himself. (drops, injuries, disappearing..)

Personally I think Dez will grow in to a beast. Hell anyone see Larry Fitz against the pats? Of course not because he had 1 catch for 4 yards! Dez had a down game and like Larry he will bounce back.

Comparing Dez to Fitz :laugh1:
The Cards knew Fitz would be taken out and planned to go with their Tight Ends. They knew Belichick would take away their biggest threat because that is what he does. Fitz is one of the hardest working/smartest players in the NFL.

The kid doesn't have it. I don't care how physically gifted he is. He doesn't have that Fitz mentality.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
perrykemp;4736814 said:
Respect your opinion, however, I suspect our definition of "great' differs a bit.

For years I have been waiting for Jerry Rice, Megatron, Larry Fitzgerald great from Dez.

Comparing those thus to a third year wr who is starting bejind the eight ball really isn't fair. Considering his year off of football his Sr year then his injury in his rookie year and then thr.lock out I think he has done well. Further just look at the numbers Robinson put up last year. You think he or for that matter Ogletree in the first game has those kind of numbers if Bryant isn't on the field?
I really think before the year is done Dez will be everything we want and expect him to be. But there are some fans of this tram rooting.for him to fail so they can do a victory lap on this.forum and say I told ya so. Frankly,the same is true for Romo.)

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Too, too early to give up on Dez.

But if *****-slaps another woman with his cap, i say trade his ash.

Joshmil53

Reaction score
Okay.

Fitz look how well he did.

JJ look how well he did.

Shut up already R2A.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
I think its garrett ball.He likes romo to throw to the open guy and lets the defense dictatr who that will be. If you watched the atlanta game you will notice the falcons find ways to get julio the ball. Same with denver and d.thomas. They throw screens,reverses,deep balls. They actively look to get them the ball in their hands. They move then all over the fielf. Garrett serms to just accept the matchups and is willing to take several 5-7 yard attempts bc that is what they give us rather than gameplanning to fibd ways to free dez and miles up. Just my take

ringmaster

Reaction score
Do what I do put them on ignore and go from there.

Wood

Reaction score
All I know is if he keeps it up ....he will find himself in Cleveland. At Best !

Jenky

Reaction score
Interesting.....

Dez Bryant - WR - Cowboys
Coach Jason Garrett attributes Dez Bryant's disappointing Week 2 production to "not winning on enough routes" versus the Seahawks' big, physical corners.
The Dallas Morning News notes that opposing defensive coordinators view Bryant as a bigger threat than Miles Austin and have directed attention accordingly. Tony Romo gets rid of the ball quickly, aiming for a 2.5 second count. Once Bryant was knocked off his routes, Romo was looking elsewhere. Bryant was hardly the only Cowboys player to struggle at Seattle. With a matchup versus the Bucs looming, Bryant is a fine "buy low." Rotoworld's Evan Silva noted that Hakeem Nicks "dog-walked" an overwhelmed Aqib Talib around the field in Week 2.
Source: Dallas Morning News Sep 18 - 7:48 PM

perrykemp

Reaction score
Jenky;4737659 said:
Interesting.....

Dez Bryant - WR - Cowboys
Coach Jason Garrett attributes Dez Bryant's disappointing Week 2 production to "not winning on enough routes" versus the Seahawks' big, physical corners.
The Dallas Morning News notes that opposing defensive coordinators view Bryant as a bigger threat than Miles Austin and have directed attention accordingly. Tony Romo gets rid of the ball quickly, aiming for a 2.5 second count. Once Bryant was knocked off his routes, Romo was looking elsewhere. Bryant was hardly the only Cowboys player to struggle at Seattle. With a matchup versus the Bucs looming, Bryant is a fine "buy low." Rotoworld's Evan Silva noted that Hakeem Nicks "dog-walked" an overwhelmed Aqib Talib around the field in Week 2.
Source: Dallas Morning News Sep 18 - 7:48 PM

Interesting. Kinda goes with my unscientific observations that I rarely see Dez Bryant gain much separation from opposing corners.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
never really understood the hype with Dez. yea, he dominates at practice supposedly, but other than maybe that Monday Nighter against the Giants when Romo got hurt he just doesnt take over games.

3rd year in the league and he has 1 - 100 yard receiving game. one. hard to believe. you can say the Cowboys have alot of receiving options but you would think with the hype surrounding the guy he would have more than that.

I hope I'm wrong about him.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
JohnsKey19;4735040 said:
BOTH of our starting WRs need to be held to the fire here. We see the physical talent, we hear how good they should be, but we RARELY see any kind of dominance on the field. Both Dez and Miles. When we need a 1st down, where are we going? What's our go-to play? Do we even have one? Who's our go-to WR? Outside of a few flashes of brilliance, we rarely have seen a consistent dominance from either player. I think this is why you hear people like Mayock calling them frauds. I think that's over the line but the question is certainly out there...

The new guy who was a scout and coach with the Cowboys for years who watches film for Galloway's show (the Broaddus replacement) said his biggest key to this loss was our WRs not winning enough routes. And he said both Miles and Dez didn't continue long enough when Tony bought extra time. Said Dez in particular he thought checked out of the game.

Said it was particularly disappointing because the Cowboys expected Seattle to do just what they did in focusing on the run, and assumes WRs were told in advance they needed to have a good game for us to win.

What happened to Jimmy Robinson being a demigod...